1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why did it take Bush 8 years to say this?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Mia, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Unscrew incandescent light bulb, screw in fluorescent light bulb.

Lifetime Savings: $151.00
    Carbon Reduction: 1,036 pounds

That's just one light bulb... The average house contains 45 light bulbs. Replacing them all with fluorescent bulbs means a savings of about $180/yr, or $15/mo. off the electric bill.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/home_improvement/4215199.html

"over 400 million tonnes of CO2 emissions per year could be avoided by switching to efficient lighting in the US alone."

http://www.bp.com/extendedsectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9015632&contentId=7029059

Again, this is an easier and more efficient solution that can occur now. More importantly it is something WE (as an individual) can do, right now, without waiting for the government to do it for us, or God forbid, an energy producer:rolleyes:

Mia, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  2. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    guerilla, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  3. darksat

darksat Guest

Best Answers:
    Sure Mia, I agree that its a good step, however by swithcing to a green energy supplier and cycling instead of driving you can take care of 80% of your carbon footprint.

darksat, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Already do that... Perhaps you should heed your own advice and start finding some chicks with bikes instead of exotic sports cars. :eek:

The thing is, this is too little too late. They should have begun phasing them out now, with a 3 month mandatory end to them, and a timeline for moving eventually to nothing but LED's which use even less energy and never burn out.

Mia, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  5. darksat

darksat Guest

Best Answers:

LOL, your really jealous, how many cars have you again?
    I will have you know that I generally only use the car at weekends when we are heading out of the city.
    I actually prefer a mountain bike as its way easier to get through traffic.

darksat, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  6. ravenplus

ravenplus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mia, what are you talking about? Took Bush 8 years? Who are you kidding... Bush has been saying this for years now. His speech's during his presidency on America getting away from our addiction with foreign oil is nothing new and might very well be his most over-played video highlights of his presidency. So it amazed me to see the headline of this post. I remember him saying this many times in 2003 & 2004 during his re-election year. He's probably said it 1000+ times, and thats no joke. The joke is the fact he hasn't and can't do anything about it.

I'm not a Bush fan by any means and its a common joke on TV & in my personal life how he's been saying we need to move away form foreign oil dependency since 2003 when gas prices started to skyrocket and consumers started complaining, then driving less because of it, thus spending less as a consumer & the overall result of putting the American economy into the hellhole its at now. Bush realizing something isn't anything new, now bush doing something and making a difference, now thats something I'd like to see. Thank god I don't vote as its obvious these politicians just want a piece of that future history book.

ravenplus, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  7. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Prices have skyrocketed because of all the inflation under the war and Bush's entitlement spending. It had little to do with the price of oil.

Oil is just barely over it's all time high of $30 some dollars when you factor in inflation.

An ounce of gold buys just as much oil now as it did in 2001. Oil has doubled in Euros but tripled in US dollars. That's because our dollar is being debased, not because Oil tripled in price. :rolleyes:

guerilla, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  8. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    My Porsche does 16 MPG city and 26 highway, but Its not like I have to drive to work everyday. Don't you drive an SUV?

guru-seo, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  9. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have a mini van but I'll carpool if I need to go to a client's site. I normally take the Bus to my office which is about 30 blocks away.

bogart, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Here is my SUV :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

45 MPG btw...

Mia, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  11. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me guess, you ride it in the snow as well? Kidding.
    Nice bike nevertheless. ;) My Ducatis do about 45MPG as well.

guru-seo, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No, but I did do 300+ in the rain, it was not fun. I don't own rain gear.

My daily driver is a 98' Intrigue with a 3800 Buick that runs on LP. :cool: Though I chose to drive my Vette today because its nice out.

Snow sucks.

Mia, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  13. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats painful, I've been caught in the rain a few times with an open face helmet and it feels like getting hit by pellets in the face! No fun.

P.S. Rubber side down. ;)

guru-seo, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  14. sheilasultani

sheilasultani Peon

Best Answers:
    Because he couldn't figure out how to pronounce dependence.

sheilasultani, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  15. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    You don't have to drive a tiny car to be "resource conscious". I drive a big boat but it drives off of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG). I buy it for $0.90 per gallon and it gets about the same gas mileage of (20-25mpg) on it. There are countries in South America that have their primary fuel as something other than gasoline. We could do it, we just don't have the people in charge that have enough incentive to do so. Until it starts hitting their pocketbooks too, we won't see a change. Unfortunately most of us will be walking before that happens.

PHPGator, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Good post, and very true.

BTW, most people do not realize it, but every car that comes out of the factor here in the US is capable of running on Compressed Natural Gas. In fact, the option is there as well, the dealer and the factor just refuse to tell you about it. Ask them next time you go to buy a car. They have to offer the option.

Mia, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  17. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats called tuning, it does not guarantee you anything if you do that. It will be your responsibility and I guess the dealer wont do much if something goes wrong...

I'm myself driving on gas as well (installed it on a petrol car...), as its x2 cheaper than petrol over here. So I have a switch between gas and petrol :)

Although, I must say, nothing comes close to petrol when you accelerate...

N_F_S, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  18. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What's burning up a lot of fuel is suburbs. You don't need a 5000 ft house for two people. The heating and air as well as the daily commute use a lot of energy.

bogart, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The LP and CNG cars run better actually.. The fuel is actually better on the components. The dealers and automakers don't tell you about it, because the get kick backs from the oil companies.

NG cars start better in the winter too! My grandfather had this set up on his car in Italy back in the 70's... A 72' Plymouth as I recall that he had shipped from NYC to Rome.

Mia, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  20. ravenplus

ravenplus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great, another GOLD talker here. Gold has been a safe & profitable for 1,000's of years including the entire tenure of the stock market. Its viewed as one of the safest buys of all time and will continue to be that way for years to come. Everyone is talking about gold in the news because of the declining US dollar, big whoop is all I say. I bet 99.9% of the people running their mouth off about gold right now wouldn't be talking about it if the American dollar didn't suck, and I'm only mentioning it because you brought it up(so you can't pin that one on me :p ).

ravenplus, Mar 26, 2008 IP