1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Your prefered work process for creating wordpress themes?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by pipes, Mar 16, 2008.

How do you prefer to work when creating your wordpress themes, what do you start on first?

Do you prefer figuring out and placing where you will have your sidebars and all that first, or do you begin with designing a header or do you do it some other way?

Basically what works better for you and allows your work to flow to go along in a way you feel most comfortable with.

pipes, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  2. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First of all I select the layout - how many columns or if left/right sidebar and then I usually start with the header.

andrej, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  3. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks andrej, whats your preferred approach for headers? do you style just in CSS or would you go for putting a fancy looking header image together in something like photoshop?

pipes, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  4. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well I just design the theme and then I hire a coder to code it - so I don't do it in the CSS.

andrej, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Oh cool, it saves you the added task of the coding part at least. :)

pipes, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  6. Queen Bufu

Queen Bufu Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you use any online services like elance to find coders, or do you have someone local?

Queen Bufu, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  7. risoknop

risoknop Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm saving as much time as I can... Here's my usual work flow for totally new theme (although I have prepared few universal themes that are easily modified to look different - so sometimes I don't create the theme from the scratch but I just use some of my prevous ones and modify it)...

1) First of all, I design the theme in Photoshop (or sometimes I also buy some templates here at DP, if they are good).

2) Before I start coding, I look at the template and I plan forward, so I won't need to spend additional time editing the code then. I look at the layout (fixed width or fluid width? how many columns? where and how are posts being displayed? will I need some aditional plugin or custom coding to create the layout?)...

3) Ok now I know approximately what I'll need, so I activate apache and php... go to localhost in my browser. I have already "test" wordpress installation on my pc where I'm testing new themes. First I install the needed plugins (if needed). Next I make the basic layout (very simple wordpress theme - just white backround, black text, no images/graphics). I play with it until it's the same as the PSD (widths of columns, their organization etc.)

4) Now when I have the basic working template done, I start transfroming it to look exactly like the PSD. I start with the header. I style it in stylesheet, slice the header part of PSD and put in required images so it looks the same as on the image.

5) I continue with the sidebar (or sidebars, if there are more than one). The same process as with header. I slice the required images from PSD (NOTE that I always use only as many images as needed and compressed as much as possible for speed optimization - everything that can be done without images, just with CSS, I do that way).

6) The "content part" where posts will be displayed. The same work flow as above.

7) I make comments part...

8) Footer...

9) Ok now it's almost done. I compare the final look to PSD one more time and if there are some slight differences, I further tweak the template.

10) I test the functionality. I ty making new posts, posting comments, adding categories, pages etc... if nothing breaks then it's great. The template is almost done.

11) Crosss browser compatibility check. I try the template in more browsers (IE 7, FF, Opera, Safari... more if requested by the buyer) and I make sure it looks the same and works flawlesly in all browsers.

12) Ok. The last thin I do is I upload the theme at my "test domain" and I test it online. Then I run it through validator (html and css) and make sure it's 100% valid.

13) I show it to the buyer. He sends me the money. I send him the theme. Or, if I made the theme just myself, without any directions, I list it at Sitepoint or DP for sell or I just give it away as a free template when I'm in a good mood.

Hope this is what you wanted to hear :)

risoknop, Mar 20, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  8. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, DP forum. :D You can also try other webmaster forums.

andrej, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    risoknop wow, yes, that is exactly what i wanted to hear :) it sounds like your very organised and can work in a way where nothing can slow down your process, ideal and its worth getting organised like that.

Thanks very much for explaining in detail.

pipes, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  10. risoknop

risoknop Peon

Best Answers:
    Np, I always try to optimize my work to take only as much time as needed.

risoknop, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its a really good approach, and as you mentioned above you have a few universal themes, which when you can use them will save precious time.

I like this, i will get myself organised like this, i feel its worth the preparation to help the work flow as smoothly as possible.:)

pipes, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  12. MarRome

MarRome Peon

Best Answers:
    MarRome, Mar 21, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  13. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hi MarRome, nice to see you around :)

Thanks very much for the link, it looks useful, will check it out.

pipes, Mar 21, 2008 IP
    MarRome likes this.
  14. aspire

aspire Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I start with the location a right wp layout in line with the basic theme of the domain. It is followed by micro details like design and color.

aspire, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  15. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It makes sense, getting the color choice and things like that decided on first and the design of course.

pipes, Mar 21, 2008 IP