1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dalai Lama Says He Could Resign

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by usasportstraining, Mar 18, 2008.

I'm not sure that his quitting would help the Tibetan people if he does resign. Does he still hold as much clout as he did in the past, being that he's been in exile for so long (even though he's very important religiously).

I still don't understand why won't the Chinese leave the Tibetans alone. Is there really a strategic interest or is it some desire just to expand their territory?

Dalai Lama Says He’ll Resign if Violence Escalates[/URL]

usasportstraining, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  2. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've met the Dalai Lama. Kickass fund raiser. The guy works a reception line like Dick Cheney at a Haliburton retreat.

guerilla, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  3. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    The Chinese see Tibet as part of China. It's debatable as to whether or not it is.

The Chinese probably won't give it up unless they are put under intense international pressure. I don't think there is anything strategic about it. They probably would not miss out on anything if they gave it up.

It's just politics. :rolleyes:

TechEvangelist, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  4. webwork

webwork Banned

Best Answers:
    LOL!!......

webwork, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  5. SEOBusiness

SEOBusiness Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of international pressure do you think will make the center government to give it up?Even for the Saddam Hussein,US has to start a war to destory him,but China is not Saddam Hussein.

SEOBusiness, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  6. darksat

darksat Guest

Best Answers:
    I think the olympics are a perfect opertunity, imagine the effect an athlete could have with the entire world watching, including all of China, if he stated that he believes Tibet should be free or autonamous while he is recieving a medal.
    I think the Chinese government would do a lot to avoid looking bad at the olympics.

darksat, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  7. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    The Chinese had said that would be prepared to lose the Olympics rather than Taiwan, what makes you think that losing the Olympics is more important to China than losing Tibet?

I would say that whatever pressure exerted wouldn't be of much use to the Chinese. Firstly you can threaten them with force, secondly you cant impose trade sanctions on them, thirdly diplomacy won't work, who would want to be involved in this mess? The various countries are all paying lip services, the most they would do was to boycott the opening ceremony which would involve Tibet but there isn't any country saying they will boycott the Olympics proper.

wisdomtool, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  8. darksat

darksat Guest

Best Answers:
    Taiwan is worth a lot more money than Tibet and is also a lot less harsh an area to occupy (remember Tibet is more mountanous than afghanistan and colder).
    Its really down to the individual atheletes, not the politicians to make a choice as an individual.
    A gold winning athelete has a lot of political clout, possibly a lot more more than a fat cat politician.
    It can be done.

darksat, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  9. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I agree, although it may work a little, it's becoming less and less effective.

So much of the world's economy is now dependent (to a large degree) on China, with their exporting of goods and services, that I can't see an Olympic boycott being that impactful (it's just one city/region for a few weeks). It might also diminish Chinese prestige a little.

Also, China is becoming more powerful militarily so economic sanctions mean less and less. We worry about oil dependency on the Middle East, but to me, it's Chinese economic dependency that is much more worrisome.

It would be nice if the Dalai Lama would be helpful in all this, but I don't think the Chinese government really listens to religious figures.

Here's the latest from China on the Dalai Lama:

usasportstraining, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  10. darksat

darksat Guest

Best Answers:
    The Chinese leader are really nasty, they make causl accusations without a shred of proof and blame the dali lama for the deaths that chinese troops caused.

darksat, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  11. melbel

melbel Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's a desire to expand their territory. This whole thing is one of the many reasons why I refuse to buy Chinese goods. Yeah, one person boycotting doesn't do much but if you add yourself to the crowd, then that is less money the Chinese are getting to underpay their employees.

More information:
    http://melbel.com/2008/02/boycott-china.html
    http://melbel.com/2008/02/american-goods-or-fair-trade-dont-sweat.html

melbel, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  12. lanmonkey

lanmonkey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Greed and ignorance

lanmonkey, Mar 20, 2008 IP