1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Placement Fee for ODP

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by mizpah14, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Scroll back up, had I not been put on the spot about taking things out of context, I'd have not pointed out that I've done so such thing and this time was even nice enough to give the actual sources.

If editors would stop saying I'm doing things I am not doing, then I'll stop defending my actions.

However, if listing thousands upon thousands of affiliated sites via robots is NOT editor abuse, then, I guess the ODP is functioning as it should be. As an automated listing tool for high ranking editors.

Though you are right, all that is off topic. Skrenta didn't have to pay himself for such favoritism.

Largest human edited directory? Robots? I'm confused, are you saying that if I am a ranking editor I can have my sites automatically listed via robot in a directory that prides itself on being human edited? Are your sites automatically listed by robots? Is that the norm for editors? Are those robots one of the 'secret tools' that editors talk about?

I already apologized to her for that... but I was only falling in line with one of your own comments.

Qryztufre, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Annie - I know it's hard to ignore when your name gets drug into every other thread in here, but fwiw, note the source. Q constantly uses you like a human shield because he had less adds at ODP than he has posts in this thread and he has to hide behind your skirts to grasp at credibility.

I find the practice of hiding behind a girl beneath contempt, but what do you expect from someone with an avatar pic of himself with a Crossman Pellet gun because he thinks it makes him look butch? He's a sad little critter with virtually no knowledge of ODP yet he posts here about it daily. The mods fail to remove him despite the fact that he intentionally derails every topic, which makes this forum impossible for anyone to use as a viable resource.

I generally avoid posting in DPs ODP forum despite 8+ years experience there on the grounds that I'm no longer an ODP editor and they have enough exes with a God complex and an ax to grind (lol... and I only have the God complex part)... but fwiw you are still held in regard within the ranks of the eds I know there. Yours was the most contentious removal ever, and I suspect a few have figured out I was correct in saying it was the equivalent of shooting at our foot. It is water under the bridge now, you have taken the high road and wisely moved on, and another organization is the better for your participation.

It'd be nice if the mods would give this dweeb a "cease and desist" from ever dragging your name into another thread without your express permission... but they won't, and by all evidence he hasn't the capacity to form a cogent argument without such juvenile tactics. In that respect it is at least a good thing he doesn't have anything better to do than post here, cause he'd screw up any real job he touched. Just know that all who work with you appreciate you, and try your best to ignore this OCD slacker. Anyone that'd stoop to hurting you repeatedly isn't worth a patch on your shirt.

Best wishes ~ Rob

robjones, Mar 17, 2008 IP
    Alucard and compostannie like this.
  3. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Funny, if I recall correctly you left shortly after I left and for the same reason. Though I must ask now, if there is credibility in annie being innocent, then why did you go back?

Yes, me and my BB gun... but at least I left stood up to the ODP for firing someone innocent... unlike you and the rest of the editors that claim she is guilty... and yes, if standing up for her is a bad thing, then you MUST feel she is a bad person.

Though, it's nice that you read my Live Journal. Shows you really care...

yes, yes, lets leave her fired and try brushing it all under the rug. It's a pitty dear friend that they let you go, now stay out!

Yeah, that would help in keeping the topic hush hush wouldn't it?

Though again, scroll back, I was not the one to bring up ex-editors... I was just the one to actually name one. Though it looks like naming one has struck a cord. Maybe if she was put back in the ODP and was told that the meta team was sorry everything would be OK... but as it stands, the only thing I hear from editors is " It's a pitty dear friend that they let you go, now stay out!"

And now that you have memorized my edit counts, maybe you could start working on Skrenta's edits... and remember, the automated-robot entries count. What is his ratio of affiliated sites to non? And I'm the bad one?

4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ROFL. Appears the only exercise you get comes from jumping to conclusions, and as usual most of them in the post above are wrong. I'd address them, except for the fact that I don't care what you think, if you actually ever DO.

God only knows what causes someone to spend every day in here moaning about a directory they didn't even work at when they had a login... but oh wait... I recall you taking credit for making all kinds of changes thru your posts here.

LOL. Yeah, it wasn't the internal threads by senior editors griping about CNN (in progress before you got there, continued after you left) that got staff to fix that, it was your personal disapproval that swayed AOL. :rolleyes: If you're really as powerful as you think, would you please do something about this damned weather? ;)

OK... I've had my say, just couldn't skip asking the mods once more to remove the primary reason this forum is a waste of server space. Go ahead and keep spewing nonsense and misinformation about subjects about which you haven't the foggiest clue... looks like they have no desire to make this forum a viable resource.As for the "Red" indicating I'm a "liar, hypocrite", etc... hey, think whatchya want junior, but if telling the truth hurts your little ego, them's the breaks. Have a good one. :)

robjones, Mar 17, 2008 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.
  5. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Internal forums must draw their inspiration from Entmoot. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Mar 17, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  6. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Q, I just have to say that bringing Annie's name up in the thread talking about abuse was trolling enough, but then emailing Annie personally and dragging her in was really low.

I hope you feel really, really proud of yourself right now.

Alucard, Mar 17, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Yes, but the timing was nice wasn't it? I complain & complain & complain and it's not until an editor actually bothers to click my source rather then just say I'm a liar that something actually get's done. But again, I am not taking credit for that. I give all the credit to Alucard.

Actually, I feel grand. And FYI, I didn't PM her until after she replied. Though again, see why I brought her up... if she was fired for abuse and didn't abuse anything, then why was she fired? Many MANY editors trust the meta team, but to what extent? It's clear that Rob fell out, then re-evaluated his standing between what was right for him and what was right.

Again, look why I brought her up... Annie is an ex-editor, so I did bring her up in the right context. She was fired for ABUSE... and while I do not believe that one bit, the meta team most certainly does!

Are you proud to be supporting the meta team that kicked her out? Are you proud to be part of a system that can fire you at the drop of a hat, no questions asked and with no means of appeal?

You seem like a good person. I'll stand up for you too should the need arise... and if you don't think the need will ever arise, I bet Annie thought the same thing.

8. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't bother - you are the lowest of the low, as far as I'm concerned. Trying to cover it up with lies won't help you now. I know what you did.

Any shred of respect I had for you disappeared with what you just did.

Alucard, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Ummm... I do not think I did what you think I did, unless it was done in this thread.

Though, please, feel free to point out any lies I've told.

10. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Ha. I love when Q goes on another alleged factual rants about the ODP and everyone else on-topic clears off and the entire ODP team jump on him like a pack of wolves. I wonder how many -rep's Q gets from the ODP team. Although on the other side of the fence, I wonder - actually, I can see - how many +rep's Q gets from those watching the thread, just too scared to speak out in fear of being dragged down to the rest of the awaiting pack.

I fully expect to get -rep, but at least [seriousness]this proves I'm standing up for what I believe in[/seriousness].

Spider-Man, Mar 17, 2008 IP
    compostannie and Ivan Bajlo like this.
  11. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the jumping at least from my end has stopped. He's just not worth my time to try to answer any point he brings up, now.

So there's one less set of posts you will have to read.

Alucard, Mar 17, 2008 IP
    compostannie and threebuckchuck like this.
  12. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    @Q . . .

I am sick and tired of my wifes name being brought up in thread after thread. It upsets her and I am SICK OF IT!

The people you are arguing with in this thread are Annie's closest and dearest friends.

She has moved on to another project and she is much, much happier than I have seen her in years. Leave her ALONE!

She (we) are not for you to use in your crusade against ODP and everyone in these threads are sick of your rantings. She is not a tool for you to use any way you see fit. She is a loving caring person that has feelings and every time you bring her name up, it hurts her.

Remember this post?

threebuckchuck, Mar 18, 2008 IP
    robjones, Alucard and compostannie like this.
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    They seriously have a very odd way of showing friendship. Though, if Annie wants her reputation as an editor that was fired for abuse to stand, I'll drop the issue... it's certainly clear her "dearest and closest friends" want such a label to stick... who am I to stand in the way.

So I'll stop bringing her up if that is what she wants, but I want her to know that it's her name I want cleared and that can not happen by brushing it under the rug. Leaving her as an editor that was fired for abuse, leaves her labeled as an abuser...and if she is fine with such a title, then so be it.

Qryztufre, Mar 18, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  14. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    So you consider re-opening wounds that she is trying to heal the act of being a better friend than those that are respecting her wishes and trying to move on?

And now you say that unless she speaks up and fights this, she is ok with being labelled all those ways?

What sort of a heartless bastard ARE you, exactly?

Alucard, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  15. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Cue the heartbeat music, faintly played in the background...

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I've read over loads of posts about ODP...and I can't seem to find the initial cause of the upset. Now, let's keep this topic on topic. Final answer: Yes, the ODP should introduce paid-listings to reduce all the uproar. This way, if your site is shit and you pay, then...well: OWNED! Keep in mind this will lose all of the Dmoz' PR..Google will remove all their links to dmoz.org because they won't want to associate themselves with a paid directory, which, in a certain member of the Google's team - is the equivalent of buying links for PR. Gotta love it :rolleyes:

I can't see the the main issue, so 'Annie' (NK) got kicked out for 'abusing' the ODP system. I'm sure she's far from being the only one who has - rightly or wrongly - been kicked out. It's a free web directory that has hundreds, if not thousands of volunteer editors. Just like the justice system - the innocent are always guilty.

Getting kicked out the ODP is on the same level as getting a negative feedback on eBay, unless of course, you have nothing better to do than click Accept or Reject, which may I add, I'm starting to believe - "fo' sho?"

Spider-Man, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Am I any worse then the heartless bastards that fired her without a warning and without a means to an appeal? Am I any worse then those still within the directory that support those actions?

The next time you say "ex-editor" when referring to abuse or corruption, then remember you are talking about your dear friend, who you supposedly are supporting.

Remember, when comments like this are made:
    Such comments include Annie. How do you think that makes her feel? Any worse then me following up with saying she was unjustly fired?

I guess that is what ODP friends are for...

Qryztufre, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  17. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    YES, YES a thousand times YES.

Alucard, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  18. budalata

budalata Peon

Best Answers:
    Q,

you really dont know when to stop.

Please, dont answer me.

budalata, Mar 18, 2008 IP
    Alucard and threebuckchuck like this.
  19. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I have moved on and it is my past. I am in a much better place now, working with some of my dearest friends. I am much happier than I could ever have been at the ODP. I think it's time for you to let go, I have. please stop using my example and name in threads about the ODP.

ADDED: My apologies to jimnoble. I know you're one of the good guys, I'm so sorry I lashed out at you.

compostannie, Mar 18, 2008 IP
    threebuckchuck, robjones and Alucard like this.
  20. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    Deleted, already stated above . . .

threebuckchuck, Mar 18, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.