1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does your forum makes money?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by slaydragon, Mar 14, 2008.

1. SEOBusiness

SEOBusiness Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have an adult forum which do launched a few weeks ago,do not have much traffic from that.Any good suggestions on ads company which allow adult content.

SEOBusiness, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  2. kamusbahasa

kamusbahasa Peon

Best Answers:
    people in the forum wont click the ads, especially webmaster forums, because they all know about adsense, and know that adsense is such an advertising that they dont need to read. how about that?

kamusbahasa, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  3. silveraden

silveraden Banned

Best Answers:
    I ran a forum before with around 6L members.... did nor performed well with adsense so I sold it for $4,580.

Forums are not doing well... blogs are more beneficial today...

silveraden, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  4. pottz

pottz Peon

Best Answers:
    Couldn't agree with you more! :D I stopped using Adsense over a year ago to concentrade on alt programs. If you have decent traffic, then offer private ad sales. I will trial a new program for 3months and if doesn't perform then its a goner.

Research sites that would benefit from advertising on your site, and send them a promo email outlining what you can offer them.. Include your traffic stat's.

Build up relationships with advertisers, offer them exclusive advertising on your site for 1 month with no competition whatsoever!

I'm by no means an expert, but even I know to think beyond adsense if its not working... :rolleyes:

pottz, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  5. masterofdomains106@gmail.

masterofdomains106@gmail. Peon

Best Answers:
    This is exactly what I have done..

I email, call and fax. Not everything is surrounded by Adsense or online.

6. furca

furca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please give me suggestions to turn my 9K member forum (50 active at a time) into a gold mine!

furca, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  7. pottz

pottz Peon

Best Answers:
    what's the url?? Is it the one in your signature?

If so, first thing would be to relocate those google ads from their current location to the top. And p.s. those ad's aren't displaying for me at all??

pottz, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  8. lowco2525

lowco2525 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Promote affiliate products. Use Clickbank, CJ, or Pepperjam and find products targeted to the forum niche and replace the adsense banner with the affiliate product(s).

lowco2525, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  9. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My other sites make money, but I'm not having much luck with forums, unfortunately - I think it's hard to monetise a forum as they tend to have a handful of users generating msot of the impressions, and in the main, those users don't seem to click ads :(

etali, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  10. QiSoftware

QiSoftware Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No-- it never did. It seemed to find an audience but never the money.

Q...

QiSoftware, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  11. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    I operate several forums, the largest, an entrepreneur forum, has almost 9K members (first link in my signature) and on that one I'm using a combination of direct ad sales, Adsense, Kontera, Bidvertiser and PepperJam. While the direct ad sales have net me in excess off $5K in a single month, I've never made more than $150 from Adsense in a month. Kontera seems to do better for me than Adsense and Bidvertiser is the lowest (but I've recently learned how to increase Bidvertiser earnings). PepperJam is rather new, so I don't have a monthly average yet but so far it looks like it will be better than Adsense (without the fear of getting banned).

Depending on your forum's content, certain ads perform better than others. For example, on my Tattoo related forum, Adsense seems to perform 10x better than it does on the entrepreneur forum. On my MLB baseball forum and musician forums, eBay affiliate (through CJ) is my biggest breadwinner.

One thing I would suggest is that if your forum gets decent traffic, Kontera's Content-Link is a very good supplemental source of income.

Bryce, Mar 17, 2008 IP
    olddocks likes this.
  12. slaydragon

slaydragon Banned

Best Answers:
    how long has your forums been established?

slaydragon, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  13. masterofdomains106@gmail.

masterofdomains106@gmail. Peon

Best Answers:
    He's been a member since 2006. I have told you peeps what you should do. Just a quick food for thought. Its not all surrounded around online. Some things are needed to do offline to get you the best exposure when negotiating advertiser space?

14. Proximity

Proximity Banned

Best Answers:
    Yea, it makes money.

Proximity, Mar 17, 2008 IP
  15. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    olddocks, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  16. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    The entrepreneur forum was started in Feb 2006, so it's just turned two years old. The baseball and tattoo forums are just going on their first year.

One trick I use to build my member base is holding contests for cash, prizes or services (I have a few dedicated servers so I can give away one year of free hosting as a prize and that really seems to work). Right now I'm giving away a bunch of valuable baseball cards and memorabilia to any of my baseball forum members who join our Yahoo Fantasy Baseball league and lead the league.

I personally use SMF (SimpleMachines) forum software because as a programmer by trade, I've been able to highly customize the forums with a lot extras for members... For example: if you look at my entrepeneurs forum, at the top of every page are the links to the "top posters" in that sections profile pages. This encourages people to post more to get their name at the top.

Another feature I've added in my SMF installs is the ability to show different ads in different folders. For example, if somebody is looking at the Philadelphia Phillies folder on my baseball forum, they only see Phillies items for sale (check it out).

If you are using Adsense and are having a problem with ads not being relevant to your forum threads, here's an article I wrote on Targeting Relevant Adsense Ads for Forum Owners that will show you a trick I learned using "Google Adsense Section Targeting" to get more relevant ads.

Bryce, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  17. usmanzali

usmanzali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a forum earning is $2-3 per day. Currently only 56 members but growing only 2 weeks old.

usmanzali, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  18. tacobueno

tacobueno Active Member

Best Answers:
    i have made $0 off of my forum in my signature, but i just started it and just put ads in the last week

tacobueno, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  19. slaydragon

slaydragon Banned

Best Answers:
    hi.. great, i am starting my forum too.. have u guys tried offline marketing for forums?? is it effective?

slaydragon, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  20. tacobueno

tacobueno Active Member

Best Answers:
    ive tried no offline marketing except just telling close friends about it and that they should post and stuff

i feel like online marketing would probably more efficient when it comes to a forum

tacobueno, Mar 18, 2008 IP