1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BANS --- This Account Suspended

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by Brent S, Mar 14, 2008.

1. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll give you the short answer. BANS is simply a platform for building websites like WordPress and others. Yes, it populates the site with pages relating to the niche you've chosen, but, like any other site, you have to do all the necessary SEO work and promotion to achieve rankings. That is, if you're going for organic traffic. One of the reasons for the good reviews is that once the work is done, eBay converts very well for a lot of us. That's been my experience so far. Once the forum is back up, you'll find a great deal of guidance in this regard.

potentmix, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  2. seowarrior

seowarrior Active Member

Best Answers:
    I hate to beat a dead horse, especially since I'm a satisfied BANS customer, but your site has been down for a loooong time now. You guys have a booming business and unless your hosting company is run by your mom or your brother or something, I would have been gone at least 24 hours ago. I can not think of any valid excuse as to why your site would be down this long. You guys are smart and I don't want to tell you how to run your business, but you really should bail on these guys whoever they are and find a real hosting company. Just my 2 cents.

seowarrior, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  3. seowarrior

seowarrior Active Member

Best Answers:
    You kinda answered your own questions. The sites that are "making it" are the ones doing the keyword research. Yes the bulk of a BANS site is auto-populated Ebay feeds, but the page titles, H1 tags, Meta Descriptions, Keywords, URLs etc., not to mention whatever content you can scrounge up either for the store pages and content pages is there for you to be optimized based on your keyword research.

seowarrior, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  4. Kelvin

Kelvin Peon

Best Answers:
    To add to what SEOWarrior and Potentmix have already said I'd recommend that if you aren't already you follow this ongoing BANS tutorial which contains a lot of great advice:

http://www.thenichestorebuilder.com/the-foundation-of-building-a-niche-store-empire-in-12-weeks.htm

Believe me I'm well aware of the situation and what is and isn't acceptable. We've been building internet businesses for several years and have had our fair share of problems - hacking, hosting downtime - as most everyone does but never anything on this scale.

We already have another server set up ready and waiting. Our problem is that we still cannot access all of the files on the old server (forum, scripts which perform various functions, member lists etc) and hence can't complete the transfer.

For BANS members reading this - the account suspension message from your V2 admin panels should now be gone and if you go to the Build A Niche Store home page and click on the link for members you will see an explanation of what has happened.

Thanks for your continued patience and for the messages of support we've received.

As I'm sure you can imagine this weekend has been about as stressful as it gets.

Kelvin

Kelvin, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  5. Getagrip

Getagrip Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Kelvin, for responding to these posts in an obviously difficult situation, and thanks for not only making such a great product in BANS, but for the BANS forum as well, as a lot of us are just itching to get back in!

Getagrip, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  6. hanji

hanji Peon

Best Answers:
    No backups? Should consider nightly remote backups of data and files in the future.

h

hanji, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  7. m80cmp

m80cmp Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just have one question with regards to the BANS site being hacked - Does this mean that BANS customers private details have been compromised ?

Many thanks

m80cmp, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  8. seowarrior

seowarrior Active Member

Best Answers:
    It totally sucks and I don't mean to be critical, but why not at the very least point the domain to a page that at least shows your logo and some "Sorry for the temporary outage, we'll be back soon" kind of message. Seeing the generic CPanel "This account has been suspended" message for days on end can't be a good thing. Anyway, I hope you guys are back up soon as you've got a nice product and you obviously put a lot of thought and hard work into it.

seowarrior, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  9. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seowarrior,

There is now a message for members. Go to buildaniche store homepage and then click through the member's link as per Kelvin's post above.

e10, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  10. seowarrior

seowarrior Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh...ok. My bad. Thanks........

seowarrior, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  11. Kelvin

Kelvin Peon

Best Answers:
    We have back ups from the 13th but we didn't want to lose a day unless we had to. We had expected it to be back online by now so that we could do a complete transfer over to a new dedicated server without losing anything.

The server is down - that's it. None of our records have been accessed.

The home page and member message went up last night.

---------------------------------------------------------------

To all BANS members I can confirm that the forum and support center will be back up and running tomorrow.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Kelvin

Kelvin, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  12. m80cmp

m80cmp Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the heads up Kelvin - much appreciated.

m80cmp, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  13. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does this mean the bug fix will be pushed back, or will that also be released on monday?

Lpspider, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  14. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    It's back up and running now.

potentmix, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  15. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Still down here.

BlueDevilMedia, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  16. labwiz459

labwiz459 Peon

Best Answers:
    I keep reading over and over BANS is NOT hosted at HG,
    Do a WHOIS on BANS and they are indeed hosted at HG.
    Domain servers point to NS667.HOSTGATOR.COM and NS668.HOSTGATOR.COM.

It doesn't make much sense to point your DNS to HG if you arent there????

Not that it really maters because BANS is stand up product, but thought I would point this out. Seems the HOSTGATOR guy isn't off his medications after all :)

labwiz459, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  17. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like it's back down again. I believe they just switched to HostGator, however. They'll have to work out the kinks.

potentmix, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  18. Kelvin

Kelvin Peon

Best Answers:
    There won't be a delay - the bug fix is already complete and providing tomorrow goes smoothly it will be sent out during the afternoon.

Afraid you must have got a cookie.

We have multiple hosting accounts for different sites that we run. In order to remove the "account suspended" message from the V2.0 admin panels and get up a message on our site so that BANS members knew what was happening we switched the domain nameservers to our Hostgator account.

Kelvin, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  19. labwiz459

labwiz459 Peon

Best Answers:
    Kelvin, figured as much. Yeah because your credibility would take a minor hit considering as aggressive as BANS promotes HG. Glad to see you actually use a product you promote!

Starting my 2nd month with BANS and anxious to see how the long term pans out.

Hope all works out well

Labwiz

labwiz459, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  20. Kelvin

Kelvin Peon

Best Answers:
    I appreciate that and I can assure you that we're not in the business of recommending services we don't use!

To be honest - it's getting to the point now that I won't use anyone but Hostgator.

I hope moving forward you find success with the product. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

For all BANS members who've been following this thread I'm happy to say that we're back up and running and an update email has gone out explaining what happened.

A big thank you for your patience. Your understanding has made what has been a really bad weekend more tolerable.

Kelvin

Kelvin, Mar 17, 2008 IP