1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Warning to All of You!

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by woob, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    It's not an issue of me expecting DCS3 to do EVERYTHING for me. Rather, it's one of expecting it to do what it is SUPPOSED to do. Unfortunately, that isn't happening in certain cases!

Again, I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy this software. If I could get my money back I would! I will just have to count it as a business loss, and try to find a BETTER editor that does what it is SUPPOSED to do.

woob, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  2. koahost

koahost Active Member

Best Answers:

A comment without knowledge. We are working with dreamweaver at our company for many years now and its been the best editor with more and better functions then anything else. Notepad is nothing compared to it.

And adobe offers a 30 days trial version for all there products so you as customer know what your buying.

koahost, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  3. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    I find it to be interesting how you come off as though DCS3 is flawless. You speak in such a way as to give the impression that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and that if anyone is having a problem with it the problem has nothing to do with the software, but with them.

How is it that webmasters who have been doing this kind of stuff for years agree that DCS3 has problems; yet, you don't see anything wrong with it?

It seems to me that you have special interests here. It's like the people that know something has something wrong with it, but refuse to say so because their making money off it in some way! Interesting!

woob, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  4. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you guys are missing each other.

DW is a tool, and while they may indeed bill it as "Forrest Gump can make a website with this tool", it's a tool and tools only work when you know how they work. That means that all these problems (which sound like a lot of them are default settings that it comes with out of the box) are partly because the makers decided they are most likely to have X-type new users and set the defaults for those.

Apparently you cna change the settings to stop it from keeping old code etc. What you need is something like a manual (I dunno if it actually comes with one) rather than a tutorial.

It's not. It's pretty simple. You type something in a text editor, and instead of looking at some WYSIWYG's rendering, you look in a browser. Something's off? Change, check. Change, check. Change, check. No need to be surprised... if you don't have the money for a fancy editor, then of course you'll start with the free one that came with your computer! You don't have to by any sort of ubercoder to use something simple like Notepad : ) More like the other way around. No doubt dreambeaver takes more time to learn all its funky effects and tools than it is to just learn html and css alone.

Stomme poes, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  5. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't mean to be 'mean' here, but if you are going to offer a suggestion, at least provide a step by step method to back it up!

I've seen a lot of people so far tell me that the problem is with me, or the user, but not one person in here who has made such claims has even offered a real solution to my problem. And I have made the problem clear already.

I even sent a PM to someone who was insisting that the problem is with me, and told me to send a PM (I am assuming to get a solution), and that person still hasn't responded.

Here is the conclusion I have come to. My problem is really not my problem, but DCS3's problem, because their software has bugs in it. It's as simple as that!

I have a step by step visual book for DCS3, and a membership with Lynda.com. I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, and this software just isn't doing what it is supposed to be doing.

So to all of you people who keep giving off the false impression that Dreamweaver is perfect, then at least back up your words by offering some REAL step by step solutions!

woob, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  6. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    Nevermind...

woob, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  7. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you drink?

Dreamweaver, Frontpage, anything WYSIWYG is crap.

Only products of Adobe's I use is Flash Player and Fireworks.

blueparukia, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  8. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is this your first experience with DW and or creating a webpage?
    I ask not to be a jerk but to try and offer some help. I understand your frustration, but if this is your first time using the software it can be a real pain. Write me a PM or something if none of your problems get resolved...

eruct, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  9. Neorics

Neorics Peon

Best Answers:
    use notepad, the best website maker there is.

Neorics, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  10. jsb

jsb Guest

Best Answers:
    You know, I offered to help you, I asked you to PM me, excuse me for not responding in 5 minutes. It is the weekend, I have a a family, I prefer not to spend it in front of the PC. A little appreciation would be nice.

As I said before, I will help you if I can, just give me a minute to go over your PM Please!

jsb, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  11. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    It's not that I don't appreciate you. However, you've done nothing but put the blame on me this whole time. It's as though you believe DCS3 can't possibly have anything wrong with it.

Yet, I've spoken to several webmasters that have been doing this stuff for a long time and they too agree that DCS3 has issues.

I do apologize however, for being impatient. I thought two days would be enough time for you to get back to me.

woob, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  12. Merendil

Merendil Peon

Best Answers:
    I still use CS2 products. I see no reason to move up to Dreamweaver CS3, especially if most of the people are unsatisfied with it... :|

Merendil, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  13. jsb

jsb Guest

Best Answers:
    Actually let's be honest here, you sent me a PM at 7pm on Friday. Since I don't work on weekends, and prefer not to spend all my week and weekends in front of a pc, I don't think a little extra response time is out of the question. After all I'm charging you exactly $0.

I didn't and would never say any software package is perfect, likewise neither are we...

I responded to your pm, once I have your files we can put this to rest. Nothing like beating a dead horse.

jsb, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  14. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Notice I didn't say notepad, I said notepad replacements - 99% of what you are using DW for - autocompletion, color coding, etc, etc... are IN most of the notepad replacements. Notepad++, Edit+, gEdit - and telling your old vi hounds that DW is more capable will get you laughed right out of the room.

But then, I've been editing code since before keyboards were common place - autocompletion usually just slows me down since I usually end up undoing what it did, and color coding just gives me a headache and doesn't do anything I can't already SEE. - But then, I know how to use the tab and enter key, and am not afraid of ****SHOCK**** scrolling up and down - and say the same thing about all these extra spaces people put in their code for no fathomable reason... What, a period or colon doesn't stand out enough so you need to add spaces on each side? Rubbish.

Sure, Dreamweaver has some semi-useful tools like project management, but frankly if you NEED that, your interoffice communication needs some work and your project manager isn't doing his job (probably too busy playing WoW) or FTP, but frankly I prefer my FTP as a separate application since the built in is a tinkertoy compared to REAL tools like filezilla. That's a lot of Dreamweaver's problem right there - it tries to be a jack of all trades, of course making it master of none.

But then, I don't like most of the above editors mentioned either because they are tabbed - which for me is a colossal step BACKWARDS since you can't detach the tabs to put them on another display... See, I've also mastered this thing called a Taskbar (Apple users of course have no idea what I mean given how half-assed their multitasking controls are) which is why I use Win32pad which has no color coding, no autocompletion, each editor window is independant, and best of all it's a 54k .exe that has a 6.5k memory footprint when active... leaving RAM free to be running six different browsers at once for ACTUALLY testing pages instead of relying on introducing ANOTHER rendering engine (a half assed one at that) to the equation.

I have RARELY seen code from someone working in dreamweaver that was worth a damn. It is usually more like a trip in the wayback machine to 1997.

deathshadow, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  15. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    See, tabs to me are incredibly useful because I am a neatfreak. I have more than 4 windows open, I go paranoid (actually, now that I have a good PC with higher resolutions, I can now open 6). Same with tabs, I will only have a certain amount open at one time before I feel a compulsive need to clean it up. While tabs have the same functionality as windows, they are just neater.

Replace "REALLY" with "never" and you have what I would say.

blueparukia, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  16. moonboxdesign

moonboxdesign Guest

Best Answers:
    Haven't had any problems with it myself.

moonboxdesign, Mar 16, 2008 IP
  17. _Xtrem3_

_Xtrem3_ Peon

Best Answers:
    Frontpage is my best

_Xtrem3_, Mar 17, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.