1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Warning to All of You!

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by woob, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmi

dmi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ever since Adobe took over Macromedia, all it's products (including Dreamweaver) went to hell. It takes a lifetime to load them, they are full of bugs...

I hate Adobe just for the 'heaviness' of their applications.

dmi, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It fits with Adobe's business model - if you can't beat them, buy them out. Nobody gave a **** about Adobe Publisher, and Aldus Photostyler was kicking Photoshop's ass in every arena. Their solution? Buy out Aldus, rebrand Pagemaker, and kill photostyler off wholesale.

Flash was kicking SVG's ass, when Adobe USED to be the champion of SVG - solution? Buy out Macromedia and rebrand all the products, killing off their SVG support wholesale.

It's damned near tradition for Adobe - Between them and Symantec consider all software soon to be bought out and ruined.

Not that Dreamweaver was any good BEFORE Adobe grabbed Macromedia either. Overglorified frontpage without the bad rep.

deathshadow, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  3. illbeatz

illbeatz Member

Best Answers:
    wow thats funny, it works just fine for me and i make dozens of websites:D

illbeatz, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  4. illbeatz

illbeatz Member

Best Answers:
    I do agree that adobe taking over Macromedia was a big mistake.

illbeatz, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  5. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    I sent you a PM

As for the code, I checked it with an html validator and it came out clean. Either I am just not doing something right, or Dreamweaver isn't following my commands with certain things.

woob, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  6. dannywwww

dannywwww Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have noticed Dreamweaver CS3 is very bugged but i just can't be bothered to wait for the program to open so i just use notepad.

dannywwww, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  7. Ikki

Ikki Peon

Best Answers:
    I am currently using Dreamweaver CS3 and haven't had a single problem with it so far. Maybe your copy is corrupted or something like that so you should try to contact Adobe's support and tell them about your problem.

Ikki, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  8. LittleJonSupportSite

LittleJonSupportSite Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpad, vi & nano have yet to fail me.....

LittleJonSupportSite, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  9. jBud

jBud Peon

Best Answers:
    All Software is buggy, some more than other, i personally believe in DW,
    i use it all the time, great tool to speed up dev time, but to actually use is
    other than code view (for coding) i would have second thoughts.

It does however have great features built into it, and well worth it!
    if there are problems you simply contact support and get them solved, or get a diffrent piece of software.

DW isn't meant for an average user, or someone just starting out
    it's geared more towards the pros, so it can't teach you how to code, it assumes you already know this.

ohh and for all those notepad users....
    i tried that but it didn't work, i'd like to know how you actually manage your projects?
    considering an average site isn't just one file, most site run into 10's if not 100's,
    not to mention being so proficient in your coding skills you're probably good at it, which means you have lots of work, which means several diffrent projects at a time...,
    nope sorry no notepad is going to replace DW. (buggy or not)

just my 2cents worth...

jBud, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  10. falguni1

falguni1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am surprised to hear this about dreanweaver.

falguni1, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  11. NickBe

NickBe Peon

Best Answers:
    People love to complain about things. I started designing 1 year ago and Dreamwaever was the first tool I ever used. i tried a few other but Dreamweaver is the best. What kind of bugs are we talking about anyway? I do not get any bugs at all.

NickBe, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  12. portmaccer

portmaccer Peon

Best Answers:
    ;)

I never cease to be surprised to see just how many people out there are such "cool coders" they only need Notepad and presto! they have built a cool pro site! Simply incredible!

What makes it so much more incredible is to see how many of the posters can't spell and and are sloppy typists. Naturally, when they do their "coding" they become totally proficient and don't make a single error :D

Oh, by the way, I use Dreamweaver CS3 on an old machine without any problems. It doesn't crash, loads faster than DW8 did, doesn't seem buggy and generally is an all-round nice program. And it doesn't write bloated code. What's more, it makes very nice sites.

As for Adobe being the "big bad" of software makers and wrecking the lovely Macromedia products - do some research! It's still the same Macromedia employees that work on Dreamweaver and others they made under the old banner.

A world full of experts! Grrrrrrreat!

portmaccer, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  13. JPSO138

JPSO138 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for this information. I am new with all this things since I am still doing my experiment and other set up with the computer and internet. This advice is timely for me.

JPSO138, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  14. koahost

koahost Active Member

Best Answers:
    It does what it supposed to do but its not helpfull styling your layout. If you know your code there wouldnt be a problem

koahost, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  15. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    The whole idea of having WYSIWYG is to make it more simple for people that don't know how to code. The fact that DCS3 is supposed to do this, but doesn't, evidences that it does indeed have problems!

Don't blame it on me because I am not an expert at coding. Blame on the makers of this program for deceiving people into believing it would be easy when in fact it isn't, because when a person makes changes on the WYSIWYG interface he is also required (to some degree), to go into the code itself, and clean up the mess that dreamweaver either left behind (because it didn't flow with those changes as it should have), or caused!

For example, when you make changes it often leaves the previous styles behind in the code. This should not be! If I change something from style89 to style70, style89 should not be in my code! I shouldn't have to go into the code to delete style89. Yet, that is what I have to do!

For people that don't catch this, they end up with all kinds of styles in their code that really have no place there. What do you think this is going to do when the spiders search your website? What kind of repercussions is this going to have when it comes to SEO? You can't see that there is a problem here? If not, then you really don't know much about SEO.

Moreover, when you change a style on your CSS styles sheet it should comply with your website to reflect those changes. Yet, it doesn't always do that!

For example, I changed the color of my links in my Styles Sheet. The color change showed up on my pages. However, when I checked them in both browsers (Firefox and IE), it disclosed that there were no changes. Yet, it was just a simple change in the color code that I had made. So who's fault was that? Certainly not mine. I did what I was supposed to do and it just simply didn't work. So don't tell me that I don't know the code. The problem is that Dreamweaver seems to have trouble working with the code!

woob, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  16. koahost

koahost Active Member

Best Answers:

The program can't do the all the work for you. You have to know the code before you can code an layout simple as that. Learn css/html then you will understand how dreamweaver works.

And IE and firefox both have different ways of reading your html code so does dreamweaver so that is something every coder has to worry about. Making the layout work for all the browsers.

"IE is the biggest bitch"

My advice to you is using dreamweaver as text editor because there is no program that will style your layout expect you. Check IE and firefox to see how the layout is coming along. And learn alot more about html and css.

It's all about understanding then dreamweaver shouldn't be bothering you. Its a great editor and thats all I use it for. Tabs your codes nicely.

koahost, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  17. ShadyLady

ShadyLady Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have dreamweaver cs3 and it has been woring 100% fine :)

ShadyLady, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  18. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Congrats, you just spent several hundred dollars on the functionality of most free notepad replacements... JUST to have a overglorified text editor that's fat and bloated.

deathshadow, Mar 15, 2008 IP
  19. Aaron//.

Aaron//. Peon

Best Answers:
    That's how I feel.
    Your spending a ton of money on something that you could get by downloading some open source software or using notepad

Aaron//., Mar 15, 2008 IP
  20. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    True, true. I suppose the site management tools are worth something. :) I guess on Windows, with its goofy selection of utilities, DW's tools are almost necessary. I work in a Linux + Emacs environment which runs circles around DW in pragmatic production terms—especially when we have multiple concurrent developers on a project.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Mar 15, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.