1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sitemap on Large site

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by capebretoner, Feb 19, 2006.

I know that if you have a large site and go over the limit you need an index for Google.

My question is, do I then need to add all of the sitemaps that are covered by that index? ie sitemap.xml, and sitemap2.xml....

Also if I choose to use the gz option, do I need to add both the .gz and the regular xml?

Thanks

capebretoner, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  2. tkluge

tkluge Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi!

You should add all your sitemaps into the sitemaps index files. Eigher the .gz or the uncompressed version. But if the uncompressed sitemap files are to big, I would just use the compressed .gz version.

Tobias

tkluge, Feb 23, 2006 IP
  3. martaay

martaay Peon

Best Answers:
    When sitemaps first launched we decided not to take up on it as we have a pretty busy site and generally any changes are picked up almost straight away anyway. As of late though spidering of our site has been almost random and I wondered if this was perhaps an alterior motive from G to 'punish' people not using sitemaps with gradually less frequent spidering.

I guess my main question is "We have no problems ranking, we have no (apart from the issue above) problems with spiders reaching parts of the site we want it to... should we bother with sitemaps??"

Or is it google with an issue which is the reason for the randomness of spidering?

martaay, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  4. tkluge

tkluge Peon

Best Answers:
    If your website is indexed well, than there is no real reason to submit a sitemap.

But maybe you're interested in the Google Sitemaps statistics - they offer really nice data. You just have to create a verification file - but Google will tell you what to do.

I don't think that Google penalizes webpages that don't participate in Google Sitemaps.

Tobias

tkluge, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  5. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    We use a Google Site Map for all sites now. This is the fastest way to add the site's url list to the Google Index List. We submit this site map via Google's Webmaster Account on a weekly (Friday) basis.

We use gSiteCrawler with no problem.

I am starting to believe that Google is using the "Last Modified" date of the web page (file) as an indicator to index or not index the file. Everytime this file date is changed, Google indexes the page within 1 week.

In addition, I have one site that has 11 site maps in it. Each is listed in the Google Webmaster Account and have no problem with them.

catanich, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  6. aprilforshee

aprilforshee Peon

Best Answers:
    aprilforshee, Jun 11, 2010 IP