1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Html Editor do you use?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by aim_high, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    My husband had the KDE and when I was on his machine I used Kate, which did have the nice touch of showing my spaces (I space indent, not tab). I'm on Gnome and use gEdit. When I was on Knoppix I just used vi which defaulted to coloured text (it's white on my machine now cause I'm too lazy to change the setting).

I quit vi though because I was always using another terminal to write in, then switching back to graphical to check in my browser. I could've opened a fake terminal in the GUI but instead tried out gEdit and liked it.

Gary uses Emacs but those who love Emacs love kitchen sinks. I don't need one : )

Stomme poes, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  2. HDaddy

HDaddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    i handcode and use notepad++

HDaddy, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  3. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    ah yes, Kate uses the Kwrite kpart for it's text handling, but it's got tabbed UI and all kinds of extra goodies!

I'm impressed you and your man use KDE/Gnome, maybe there's hope for my girl ;) (she's stuck on vista hahaha)

I think the most important thing when doing websites, more than the text editor you use, is the browser you check it in. Websites should be designed in something that supports standards fully: Safari, Opera, Firefox

Once complete, you should test it in other browsers like IE. But fi you design it in IE it shows when you view it in another browser - trust me.

innovati, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  4. Dayton Internet Marketing

Dayton Internet Marketing Peon

Best Answers:
    honestly and absolutely if you know how to use dreamweaver in code and design view its better then anything there are also free dreamweaver tutorials out there find them and take 2 hours to learn it because if you can use this program it will make writing and checking a website take 2 hours instead of 2 days and what you see is not always what you get but once you learn what you can and cant do in the different modes and get good you will save alot of time. in doing this you should test them in both ie and mozilla and make sure they appear the same in both. and make sure your viewing at 1024 x 768 and make so that your websites look best at that because its most widely used among all.

5. aim_high

aim_high Peon

Best Answers:
    couldnt you write create something with a WYSIWYG editor and clean up the code later?

aim_high, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  6. Salsa_Boy

Salsa_Boy Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Notepad++ in my projects. For some corporate work, Dreamweaver lol.

Salsa_Boy, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  7. Animostical

Animostical Banned

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver all the way. I use Dreamweaver CS3. I also got some extra Dreamweaver Serials for sale if anyone is interested. PM or Email at

Animostical, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  8. komickaze

komickaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mainly just Notepad in windows. I occasionally use Dreamweaver and GoLive for quick code snippets to save time. I use a local install of Apache for testing and its Ctrl+S, Alt+Tab, F5 from there. :)

komickaze, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  9. komickaze

komickaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, and I also use a custom batch file to upload the files from my working directory to the Apache directory.

komickaze, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  10. cutman

cutman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use dreamweaver 8

cutman, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  11. awatson

awatson Active Member

Best Answers:
    vim on the server.

awatson, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  12. vishnups

vishnups Banned

Best Answers:
    innovati is absolutely correct. Never use a WYSIWYG editor like Microsoft Expression Web, Dreamweaver etc...I do the coding by hand..I use PHP Designer 2000 Professional for all my needs like HTML, PHP, Javascript, CSS etc..

vishnups, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  13. donross

donross Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont use any html editor.... Just the plain notepad without any text highlights... i memorized all html/xhtml/css codes in my head... the more i use notepad... my typing skills gets better and because it has no code highlights i see to it that my codes has no typo error...

Here's a few reason why i dont like HTML editors....

*the more I use it, my typing skill gets slow
    *you tend to rely on highlighted code (rather than discipline yourself to do a clean code)
    *it will make you lazy
    *For Beginners that rely on WYSIWYG Editor ... You will never grasp and understand fully how xhtml and css works compaired when you're using just NOTEPAD.
    *You cant work on other PC/machine without your editor installed ...

donross, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  14. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, if you write HTML like you write English (lack of proper punctuation and Capitals) it's no wonder you rely on WYSIWYG editors to do the work for you ;)

innovati, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  15. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I use Dream weaver 8

angilina, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  16. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Bushwah! Emacs does not have a kitchen sink! It does have everything else, just no sink. :)

For web development, there are certain prerequisites in editors.
    • Controllable character encoding, i.e. iso-xxxx-y, utf-8, ASCII.
    • Multiple open files, whether in tabbed or switched buffers.
    Others features to improve productivity.
    • Syntax awareness. Can include hi-liting and/or auto indention. Eg., Emacs in nxml mode for xhtml, validates syntax on the fly.
    • Concurrent versioning system (cvs) from within the editor.
    • Directory editing from within the editor.
    • Run site management tools from within editor, eg. ftp, ssh, scp et al.
    • Auto tag insertion. In Emacs, for example, Alt-[enter] will insert paragraph tags and move cursor between them, <p>|</p>.
    • Auto insertion of html tags around selected content. Handy for marking up raw content. In Emacs, set the start of the region, move to the end, and type Ctl-u Alt-[enter], and <p></p> tags are placed at the start and end of the selected text.
    • A clipboard that holds more than one item. For example, Emacs holds 60 items in the default configuration.
    • Whatever else you find speeds your work.
    A plain text editor is the fastest, most productive tool to use for web development. The wysiwyg editor is a crutch. As long as you're crippled by not knowing what you're doing with html, css, php or javascript, you will need it. If you don't want to remain a cripple, get rid of the crutch and learn the technology.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  17. Whippet75

Whippet75 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver CS3/Notepad/Wordpad for all file edits ;)

Whippet75, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  18. sumeetindia

sumeetindia Banned

Best Answers:
    Macromedia Dreamweaver

sumeetindia, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  19. NewQuark

NewQuark Peon

Best Answers:
    I handcode, usually with Notepad++ but sometimes just Notepad. donross, I don't really think the highlighting is a problem; I've memorized the code too, and the highlighting and stuff don't make it easier to actually type anything, they just makes it easier to look at (especially when you want to hide certain parts of the code and focus on just a few sections).

NewQuark, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  20. Dayton Internet Marketing

Dayton Internet Marketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not use something that saves you tons of time. I do think you should know html before using it but i absolutely love Dream Weaver at first it was no good but once you learn it and how to exploit its functions its worth its weight in gold. I can design a site in 10 minutes with dream weaver.