1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What happened?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Nosfer, Feb 16, 2008.

i've been doing a lot of small jobs here on DP and i've seen that each day the price paid is lower and lower.

i mean, a regular price for posting or article writing is: 0,01$/word - that means you're paid with 1$ for 100 words written or 0,2$/post that must have at least 20 words [like everyone requests]. i only accept jobs that are paid with at least 0,02$/word so you can see the difference here.

but nowadays... i see people that don't even spell right asking for others to write for them with only 1,5$ for 300 words or other rates that are even lower than that. They also want quality and unique content verified with copyscape for that price. i'll tell you what i can get you for that price: a couple of letters written on toilet paper.

Nosfer, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  2. vodkkaa

vodkkaa Peon

Best Answers:
    Its because no matter how low the price is, even if it is $1.50 for a copyscaped 300 word article, some guy from India will say he can do it for a $1. I remember seeing someone ask for 10 1000 word articles to be rewritten, then another 10 500 word articles made from each article. Thats 15,000 words and there were people offering to do it for under $50.

vodkkaa, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  3. ZeroCapacity

ZeroCapacity Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the exact reason I got out of writing. Way to many people writing for slave wages anymore. Unique content deserves unique prices in my book.

ZeroCapacity, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  4. j.llyn

j.llyn Peon

Best Answers:
    I always demand a higher payment. If everyone refuses to work for so little, people will have to pay fairly.

j.llyn, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  5. katebeswick

katebeswick Peon

Best Answers:
    Competition is getting stiff but those who want true quality and content that is well-researched while remaining unique will pay the few extra dollars that real writers ask for. And people who offer great writing services at $0.01/word should change their price although they may be scared that they will lose business.

I was quite afraid to raise my prices from $0.01/word to $0.015/word, which isn't that much of a leap. I did lose a couple of my regulars but I also found people who knew that they were going to get great quality from me. People shouldn't work for slave wages and it's a shame they do. On the other hand, there are some writers here on DP who work for those same slave wages and don't even deserve that for their writing. How often do we see posts that say, "Plaes PM me, i'm intrsted"? The fact that those looking for good content would even consider such a post is ridiculous.

By the same token, some people just need a writer to write SOMETHING and aren't too concerned with the quality. This is completely fine and when that's the case, why wouldn't they give the job to someone with the lowest bid?

So my point in this rant? If people are looking for great writing, they'll pay the extra. If they're not too picky on the quality they're going to get, more power to them for finding a cheap price.

katebeswick, Feb 16, 2008 IP
    sharqi likes this.
  6. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah it cracks me up aswell, do what I do and try to sell the articles and if they don't sell - use them your self and on your own sites, you will be like Chuck Norris and kill One Stone with two birds :p .

The funny thing is that these people are trying to flog the articles - trying to sell them elsewhere as Essays and pass them off as their own work .... they wont get jack shit because of the poor quality and that comes down to paying pennies.

thsadmin, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  7. sharqi

sharqi Guest

Best Answers:
    I really enjoyed reading that.

Until recently I was at $0.02 on DP, and have just increased to $0.03.

Whats surprised me is that many of my regular clients are happy to pay the increase, two of them insisting on the increase even though I guaranteed their old rate for 2 months.

People are willing to pay a little more if they know they are going to get value for money. The difficulty is proving value for money to a prospective client. Samples help but they don't always match specific requirements.

I offer a money back guarantee to unhappy clients, along with free revisions and rewrites if needed. Being completely truthful, to date, I have had to rewrite approximately 400 words (3 short summaries), but the client still purchased the originals for use elsewhere. (It was a context issue basically)

I think that quality does show through, it can be very frustrating knowing that you are worth it but failing to convince the other party.

I really believe that communication is key. Get people on MSN or Skype, talk to them, show them that you are not just another mass producer, and that you have a vested interest in providing them with the best you have to offer.

Being open and honest has also helped me, I have turned work away as I could not meet a deadline only to have the client return at a later date or book a slot for when I am free.

The point you make (Kate) about people wanting mass produced content is a great observation. If you are just trying to get a lot of pages indexed, or working some strategy then you only need mass produced automated content.

Also non native UK/US persons may not see the terrible flaws in the content they buy, honestly believing that the copy is of good quality. As natives we take the language for granted. It's highly probably that a honest, genuine buyer in India may not have access to a native English speaker who can check the copy , thus remaining ignorant through no fault of their own.

Equally I have seen several posts in the CC forum from persons who have admonished others for requesting UK/US/Aus authors only, stating they have a degree in English from their own country.

Every single one of these posts I have viewed contained major structural or grammatical errors. However the authors of said posts genuinely believe they have an equivalent grasp as a person native to, and educated in, an English speaking country.

This tells me that there are far more genuine people out there than we may think. If a person has good intentions then I really wish them the best of luck. Not all bad posts in CC are made on the basis of deception. The majority? Perhaps.

I mentioned in another post on here that there are a lot of positives to DP - that's what I try and focus on, otherwise I think I would be in an institution by now ;)

sharqi, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  8. sanlands

sanlands Active Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest, quality isn't related directly to price in writing.

There's plenty of writers who write much better for a lot less than those who charge more. It all comes down to ego. If a writer thinks their writing is worth that much. Then they're free to charge what they think is right. As a lot of people constantly need content, so build a regular client base.

The reason for the prices is because the market is working against writers. And marketers want to charge you as low as they can while getting the best quality they can.

sanlands, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  9. sharqi

sharqi Guest

Best Answers:
    Very true indeed.

sharqi, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  10. sanlands

sanlands Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here's something for some people to try out. If you don't want to write for say... less than $10 an hour. Find out how many articles you can push out within a hour. And don't sell those articles for less than $10.

You can figure out what you should aim for as far as rates go.

11. jacki3

jacki3 Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, the reason why so many writers insist on charging less is:

1. They've no talent for writing and they did not receive any formal education - they just think they know how to write web content
    2. They have no client base because they are writing rubbish - so they need to churn up 10000 words a day, most likely leaping from one unsatisfied client after the other
    3. They are paying high school kids $1 for 500 words - this one I believe to be true as I have met a few of these so-called writers running content sweat shops in their backyard

I've nothing against these writers, it's just that I always end up editing their work :mad: I increased my rates and lost half of my clients. But those that remained are the ones that value my work. They have also referred me to their friends :D

jacki3, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  12. sanlands

sanlands Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's better to have a few great clients than many good ones.

13. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    It's better to submit your articles to dozens and dozens of good content sites. It always has been, since day one, and it always will be.

Put your url at the end, have a quality site, and make money from the visitors from the other sites.

I've read some of the posts here, and you are writers? You are editors? Read your posts again.

Don't quit your day job.

Perry Rose, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  14. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Give me a hammer and some nails and I still wouldn't call myself a building constructor. Hand me a scalpel and I wouldn't dare call myself a doctor. If I have visited hundreds of websites I still wouldn't call myself a programmer. So why is it any different for people who think they can write to call themselves a professional writer?

Here's the problem in a nutshell: too many people think that because they know the english language and have access to a keyboard that they are now a "writer". The information age has turned everyone that is computer savvy into thinking that they are a writer because they've used email or posted on a blog. Employers think that they can pay slave wages because writing is too easy, and unskilled and unprofessional writers think that they can charge bottom rates because it's easy work to do.

Anyone that has ever had to make a living and pay their household bills from writing would never call the majority of jobs solicited on here of the writing profession. This is the realm of WAHMs, students looking for extra paypal cash or people that live in countries where the standard cost of living (and judging from the complaints that I have read, usually of quality) is pretty low.

I can earn a better living standing outside a Walmart begging for spare change, and in less amount of time, than spending my day writing one dollar 300 word articles. Maybe that's what it is coming to: people in North America will stand outside stores and make $300 a day asking for spare change while people in developing countries will produce the content for the web. The 21st century is sure turning out to be just like it was shown in the movies, isn't it?

chant, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  15. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can I quit my night job? ;)

marketjunction, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  16. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    If you weren't a Wind Rider, I'd go over there and break your keyboard in half.

Perry Rose, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  17. MillenniumHosting

MillenniumHosting Peon

Best Answers:
    This is very good information. Content sites will always be there to give good writers the recognition they have deserved for a long time.

MillenniumHosting, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  18. katebeswick

katebeswick Peon

Best Answers:
    Chant,

I actually DO pay my bills from the work that I find on DP. I also write quality content that my clients have been very happy with and have returned for more. Are you a writer? I find it hard to believe considering that you call it "easy." This really gets under my skin because people sometimes look at what I do and think that I spend my day "typing." Well, I do but that's only a small part of it. I research and I create great articles from that research.

To be a good writer and to actually care about what you are writing and saying, is definitely not easy. And I'm appalled that anyone would ever say that other people are not writers when there are some great writers here on DP that care very much about what they do.

katebeswick, Feb 17, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  19. Writingcreations

Writingcreations Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm fairly new to DP and I have to say that after seeing some of the replies to people looking for writers, it's no wonder that they are charging a penny or even less to work. I know things may be different in other parts of the world and a dollar or two goes a long way but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

Does that mean I get to call myself a professional writer because I can string a sentence together? NO. What I do call myself if a working writer. And regardless of whether or not you have a degree to back you up - you are still a working writer, the degree shouldn't matter.

I am shocked at the rates people are offering but I am not shocked at the people who take them. My opinion is that if you don't have the budget to hire a writer at competitive wages then write the work yourself because you are going to get about the same quality.

I'm trying to build a client base and I had been told this might be the place to start but now I am not so sure and clearly not going to sacrifice my integrity or services by taking the low paying gigs.

I know that means I will probably not be getting much work here but at a penny per word??? That doesn't even pay the bills (at least in the U.S - more power to those countries where it does).

LOL - I also know I probably won't be well liked here either since I'm a little outspoken without even so much as a hi-howareya first! ;)

Writingcreations, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  20. chrissie1101

chrissie1101 Peon

Best Answers:
    writing creations, you are SO right. (and hi, how are ya, btw?) webmasters WOULD be better served completing their own work than hiring out poor quality.

As a side note to chant, if you would make more money begging in front of Wal-mart, why are you here? It is offensive to some of the writers here that ARE making an effective living by marketing their talents effectively.

I can't tell you the number of times I have responded to a thread here, mentioned my rates (which are above the DP norm), and not heard back for days, even weeks sometimes. Then I get notes like "i'd much rather just pay for your services because you won't believe the crap i've been working with", all this because they went with someone, initially, for a low rate.

The low rate vs. quality product is a CONSTANT complaint on this board. And it is VERY difficult to pay bills at .01 a word. You can do it, but it is NOT easy. And if you're a good writer, why should you have to? There was a comment earlier in this thread that someone said, well, I don't wanna be a writer cuz I refuse to make 'slave wages' that to me is not a real writer.

THAT is a real writer. A writer that does so because he MUST not because it pays the bills. The quality writers are the ones that go to bed with their heads still spinning about how to turn that phrase just a little bit neater *next time*. Many content writers, particularly here, hand in their work and go to bed without thinking twice about what they have handed in, or if the client is even happy as long as they get their paypal. If they were quality *true* writers, they would take pride in their work, market their rates accordingly, and WORRY about whether or not the client is happy.

To raise, and when to do so, your rates is an issue we all struggle with. How do we deal with existing clients at a current rate? Are we going to lose business? the fact is, if your writing merits it, then you should do it. I do NOT agree that you can't make a living off a higher rate.

Granted, your offers will be fewer and farther between. But the clients that stay are doing so...because you're a writer, and you are worth it to them. It absolutely IS better to have a FEW quality clients than MANY you are scrambling for into the wee hours every day just to make ends meet.

My rate has pretty much tripled since I first started here, and I still have clients from day one still with me. And in fact, one of my newest at my new rate just gave me an order of 400 articles. So to those that are wary about upping their rates, don't be. If you build it, they will come.

chrissie1101, Feb 17, 2008 IP