1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a Blog...

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Boardwalk, Feb 16, 2008.

Hi guys, I've recently published a post on my blog on how to start a blog. Basically it covers the important things when you're about to start a blog like choosing a blog platform, choosing a host, and the like.

It was especially written for newbies; just thought I'd share it here for you guys to see. :D Anyway, thanks for your time, please leave a comment if time allows you.

Boardwalk, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  2. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Very helpful article, and a nice blog.:)
    I like the colors, the header, and the logo.
    Very well done

hmansfield, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  3. Crynos

Crynos Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice article, and I do like the blog design, I'm assuming that's a paid theme?
    Also, just another recommendation for hosting for newbies - you can get a Hostgator plan for $5 per month that should give you all the bandwidth/space you need and has cpanel for easy blog installation. I've moved up plans by now, but that's how I got my start (well, Dreamhost was first, but thats a different story).

Crynos, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  4. c0s

c0s Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I liked the article very much , and the desing of your blog isn't at all bad. Good luck!

c0s, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  5. santosh

santosh Peon

Best Answers:
    hey very nice post, I have been trying to write one as a welcome post for a recent blogger post I attened!! got a lot of help from your post.. Thank you again..

Btw your design is good, just a little box below the header.

santosh, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  6. sotfengineer

sotfengineer Peon

Best Answers:
    nice sharing man

sotfengineer, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  7. banji

banji Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that blogger should always be used for beginner. Learnt a lot of things while I'm using it. When we know exactly what we want to achieve from blogging, it will be advisable to change to self hosting :)

very nice article

banji, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  8. Crynos

Crynos Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont agree about starting with blogger. Because if you start to blogger, and then want to change over to wordpress, it makes things really difficult.

Crynos, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  9. nevmoscoso

nevmoscoso Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see any wrong starting your blog from blogger.

nevmoscoso, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  10. maverick123

maverick123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Blogger is doing good for me....i am satisfied :)

maverick123, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  11. waxingpoetic

waxingpoetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blogger is a better place than most to start unless you're ready to jump full force into the technicality that is WordPress. A lot of people are making money with Blogger blogs.

If you plan to use your Blogspot to generate revenue and you want to establish pagerank and backlinks, a custom domain is a must...especially if you think you might ever migrate the blog to WordPress. With a custom domain, you don't lose what you've built when you move your blog.

I just recently made this move and I'm still working on making changes and trying to get used to the WordPress interface. The posting side is easy enough. However, there are many things that Blogger makes painlessly easy that is a real process in WordPress...such as Adsense, various widgets, moving things around on your page, etc.

The thing is...it's the consensus in the blogosphere that WordPress is the way to go if you are trying to go big. It's considered more professional when you have your own hosting and everything that comes with that. If you're blogging for the long haul, then WordPress it.

I resisted this movement for a while, but I finally made the move because I could see it opening up more opportunity. I have more to blog about since I know 2 platforms...well, three really. I had a blog at LiveJournal for years. It's nice to come to the forum and be able to help other with both Blogger and WordPress (not quite to that point yet...still asking for help myself).

One of the most important things to remember though is not what the general consensus is, but what works the best for YOU. If it's Blogger, then rock it like nobody's business! Best of luck to you all.

waxingpoetic, Feb 18, 2008 IP
    bogart likes this.
  12. chadgray

chadgray Peon

Best Answers:
    OP - your link doesn't work.

chadgray, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  13. Boardwalk

Boardwalk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey chadgray, sorry for the inconvenience. It's working now. :p

Boardwalk, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  14. bon300187

bon300187 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice article.

I like the theme, it works well

bon300187, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  15. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:

The BlogRush widget sounds like a good idea. I've seen it before. If your content is interesting and updated regulary, it can be a good way to increase readership.

I think along the same lines.

bogart, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  16. victorqd

victorqd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the post & yeah,i preffered blogger over wp when i started.I still use that blog,it has really picked up momentum,and doing a lot for me :D Also using wp blogs on my custom domain,but still a long way to go.

victorqd, Feb 19, 2008 IP
  17. Boardwalk

Boardwalk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, for me, it sounded like a good idea. But now... nah.. no thanks. Though you won't really lose anything for trying it, that's why I included it in the post. Thanks for reading BTW.

Boardwalk, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  18. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is a perfect article for a newbie! Hope some of the blogger pro's also get good idea after seeing your article. Hats off to you...

kittyluver, Feb 20, 2008 IP