1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

promoting a forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by olddocks, Feb 13, 2008.

need some advice on promoting a forum targeting webmasters. how to market it?

should i buy forum posting or let the forum grow naturally? And my site is webmasterpals.com

olddocks, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  2. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Before you promote your forum, make sure you already have a lot of contents.

Bohol, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  3. yogesh sarkar

yogesh sarkar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bohol is right, try to get more content because no one would join an empty forum.

yogesh sarkar, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  4. webster007

webster007 Banned

Best Answers:
    at first i got around 10 people to post a few posts on my Webamster Forum

but i decided if it was going to be used it would be used naturally so i posted around in other places

your last resort should be paid posters

webster007, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  5. falguni1

falguni1 Peon

Best Answers:
    hi my forum is http://www.oamsites.com/

I would like to do 5 post exchange with your site.
    means you post 5 post on my forum and I will post 5 post on your forum.

dont forget to make your signature at my forum which has link to your site.
    cu soon.

falguni1, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  6. M.IMRAN

M.IMRAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you need to kick start your forum with paid posters and by some advertising.
    also buy some avatars and signature links from other webmasters forums like dp.

I can do Paid to Post on your forum PM me.
    Thanks...

M.IMRAN, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  7. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Start with your close friends. Your friends will invite other friends. Then your forum will become a hangout zone of all your friends. Then there will be life and vibrancy in your forum.

Bohol, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  8. ksb2050

ksb2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Apply for site affiliations and topsites. Get your site "out there". Refer people from other places you are searching for content you have. And finally get search engine indexed, submit your url to Google, yahoo, etc. Hope this helps, this is how I got my site going. :)

ksb2050, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    M.IMRAN is pretty correct...

Paid posters, or post exchanges can work wonders to get a forum off the ground, much more so then generated content. Though, if you are going to go with the generated content, maybe pull the feeds from the more popular SEO blogs for discussion. Though, keep in mind you may get hit with duplicate content filters in SERP if all you have is feeds.

Advertising can also pull in new members and get the word out. Buying avatars, locations, and sig links can all help out, if you are buying them on the major webmaster forums like here at Digital Point.

One thing you could possibly do, if you can afford it, seek out some older related forums that are no longer maintained and buy them out. If you can get redirects to your forum, then any lingering members may just stick around. it'll also help to clear up some of the competition for this niche.

Installing rev sharing can also push things forward. Many people are willing to do it for the pennies that Adsense can generate *boggle* If you can beat out the 50/50 split that DP offers, you may even pull in some of the members here based on nothing but that... If you gave 75% of the hits from rev sharing, that'll be a perk that'll pull in many posters...

You could then buy sigs here that say something like...
    And I bet you'll find many people at least checking it out. Though, if you do that, and do not plan on leaving it at such a high ratio, it would be best to add that to the instructions or faq on the matter.

Qryztufre, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  10. strategis2001

strategis2001 Banned

Best Answers:
    strategis2001, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  11. C-E-O

C-E-O Active Member

Best Answers:
    My forum is TEXASTAKEOVER.COM

All I did was tell other people in different forums, and they have been telling people, I have a lil over 40 members, and they are all active, my goal is to make it the biggest forum for Texas Rap, and its looking like im on my way!

Edit: and No, I do not use post exchange, I started from scratch!

C-E-O, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  12. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Webmaster forums will be very difficult to promote since most webmasters won't join unless they think theres a lot of useful information. Get some friends to post daily. Purchase some banner spots and include a link in your signature at other webmaster forums.

Lpspider, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  13. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to get your forum going it would be really better to play things the natural way and let it propel itself. However, you could lure some new users by adding some simple rules that will serve as a bait. You could like give certain privileges or rewards to your users when they reach a specific post count. Make a scale, from this count to this count you have these abilities within the forum and so on. It could be seen as a Rpg game where you build your character (user) and amass experience which allows you to do certain things and improve your knowledge.

turbulence, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Revenue Sharing can promote quality posts as well. Though it should be accented with rules about quality over quantity of you'll find that many people will just start posting garbage.

It should be important to note that rev sharing only really works on webmaster related forums. My forum has 600+ members and I'd reckon that 98% of them do not have a webpage, and of those that do, most do not have adsense or something related.

Qryztufre, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  15. spdev

spdev Peon

Best Answers:
    i got a new forum im gonna start pushing soon although there is zero content and users on there at the moment, but its a backburner project that will get some attention soon http://costaluzinfo.com/forum

any tips on SEO for forum?

spdev, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  16. eng152

eng152 Banned

Best Answers:
    If you have good thread, sections, Posts etc in you r forum. More members like to stay in your forum.

eng152, Feb 25, 2008 IP