1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you provide a download link after accepting paypal payment?

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by kayjay, Feb 14, 2008.

hey guys

just a quick one - prob a nobrainer for most of you but suppose i have an a site where im selling a digital product..how do i set it up so that when someone pays they immediately receive a downoad link either to their email box or get directed to a link

advice on this is much appreciated!!

kayjay, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  2. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I used Plimus.com which I can set up the email which would be sent to the customer once his payment is cleared.

eddy2099, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  3. xarfai

xarfai Peon

Best Answers:
    I would like to know this aswell ive been struggling with this for a while now. Would be awsome if someone could explain this

xarfai, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  4. Pervert-For-Life

Pervert-For-Life Banned

Best Answers:
    i think only business paypal account have that option.... there is a URL redirector link inside business paypal acc...

Pervert-For-Life, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  5. xarfai

xarfai Peon

Best Answers:
    I kinda figured that out, so i switched to buisiness acc but i still cant really find it..

xarfai, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  6. supernoobice

supernoobice Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use Virtuemart for joomla ecommerce plugin. Very easy to use. You may use kind of paypal account.

supernoobice, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  7. jimh1626

jimh1626 Peon

Best Answers:
    All you need to do is go to PayPal and clcik on the Merchant Services and follow the prompts.
    You have an Iten name and ID then the price you charge.
    You then choose which button to use and if you want it encrypted or not.
    Good idea to encrypt.
    You then click add more options and you will see where your successful payment url can be edited.
    Fill this in with the exact url where your download product is located.
    Fill in where they go if they cancel usually your home page or you can make a cancel.htm page and put info on it.
    Read the other options like if they need to be shipped an item or not and if there are instructions or not.
    For digital products you can provide what you need in the way of instructions on your download page.
    Then just hit the create button and you copy that and paste it into your html page where you would want someone to click th ebutton to purchase.

Hope that helps,

Jim

jimh1626, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  8. churioz

churioz Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many ways to go about this.

1. through paypal - Jim pretty much explains the paypal method. I used to use this in the past and got varying results. Some users weren't redirected to the download page.

2 - manually - you can send out an email with a download link to your buyer

3 - through email application - you can create a filter that automatically replies to the buyer with an email containing the download link

4 - through your internet mail provider - you may be able to do #3 but at the server level and not just on your pc

5 - through payloadz.com - you can link paypal and payloadz via the IPN number

6 - through a product called linklok that you would install on your website

7 - through clickbank - you can sell your product via clickbank and create a successful transaction page - clickbank then handles the redirect to the buyer

that should give you a start

churioz, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  9. sheilasultani

sheilasultani Peon

Best Answers:
    I have mine set up through paypal to redirect to my link (like Jim explains it) I also have a generic message set up for each product. When I get an email from paypal saying a product has been purchased I send the email to their paypal email immediately. This way they have 2 ways of getting their link. It's been my experience that a lot of people pay for a product and then cancel out of paypal without hitting the return to merchant button. Don't count on paypal redirecting them to their download link, you have to make sure they are also sent a link.

Sheila

sheilasultani, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  10. fizfaz

fizfaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you also should not forget to encrypt the download link, so buyer can't share the link with others. I know script like dlguard can do this but it quite pricey..
    Anyone can suggest similar script but cheaper than that..

fizfaz, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  11. kayjay

kayjay Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the posts guys!
    i found payloadz to be the best - it gives you a free trial with minimal storage but still good way to test it out.
    paypal method is fine too but not sure about the encrypting part.

kayjay, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  12. amedia

amedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use E-Junkie right now http://www.e-junkie.com/ its a good delivery system, but there is a monthly fee and it starts to get expensive if you want more than 50mb of space.

Can anyone recommend a good self-contained script that uses paypals IPN and generates a unique URL for download that expires after a given time?

Has anyone tried Linklok?

amedia, May 26, 2008 IP
  13. jer166

jer166 Peon

Best Answers:
    After struggling with this issue for a month, I finally have two scripts that I have working on my site. One is a paypal IPN file that is edited into the buy now button. It is extremely simple and works by sending an emaiil to the buyer with the download information.

The other one is an inexpensive program that uses a data base on your server. It is simple & easy the set up. Once set up it automated the digital download process for you through an admin control panel. It also works great and also allows you to set up how many times the buyer can download the product from the link sent to them. This eliminates some of the link sharing that costs you money. I have resell rights to this if you are interested for $6.00.

Also for a small fee of $2.00 I'll walk you through the buy now button process that I am using.

I bought several several scripts from DP members here that I could not get to work and when I asked for help I got a response that the script worked OK for everyone else. I asked for additional help or a refund and never got a response. I guess that was $$ wasted or chalked up to a learning experience for a newb.

jer166, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  14. RedXer

RedXer Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're not bound to Paypal, EC Suite can do this for you as well in a couple different ways;

You can setup an email to be sent automatically to each customer after they've completed their purchase with a download link and any access information they need.

You can also link to the download from the transaction completed page after they've made payment.

RedXer, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  15. E-junkie

E-junkie Guest

Best Answers:
    The benefit of using a hosted solution like E-junkie rather than hosting the script yourself is that you don't have to take care of security, keeping your scripts up to date with your payment processor's requirements or worry about things breaking when/if you switch hosting.

Also, as far as price/space is concerned, mid-level and up accounts allow you to remotely host your files. ^_^

E-junkie, Jun 13, 2008 IP
  16. darkmessiah

darkmessiah Peon

Best Answers:
    You do not need some other companies product to provide the digital download. It's really not the difficult to do on your own. Follow paypal's examples, fill in the proper form values, and submit to paypal. Paypal will send a response back to your website to an ("ipn") address you tell them. You will then get a success response.

From here you will need to do some tricks. You must verify that you were actually paid money. There is a loophole you have to fill, because some people try and trick your site by sending fake information (like ZERO dollars sent). Once you validate "real" money was sent, you can provide a link to your download.

BUT, there is a way around using a direct link. I suggest looking into the readfile command. You will need to submit a header with some important information, then use the readfile command. The user will then be presented with a download, but they will not know the actual filename you are sending them. I suggest doing this, because that way people can't link to your file willy-nilly. If they lose the download, they will have to come to you to get it.

I have made 2 successful sales so far, even though I do NO advertising. The only thing is, the user will be required to click on a link that paypal provides, this is the only way your site will know they just payed.

darkmessiah, Jun 14, 2008 IP