1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

US F18's intercept Russian Bombers

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Hon Daddy Dad, Feb 12, 2008.

A pair of Russian TU-95 Bear bombers overflew a US aircraft carrier in the western Pacific at an altitude of 2,000 feet (660 meters) over the weekend, prompting US fighter jets to scramble, a US defense official said Monday.

Four F-18 fighters jets intercepted the Russian bombers Saturday morning, but not before they had overflown the USS Nimitz, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

This can't be good.

http://www.france24.com/en/20080212...ts-russian-bomber-jets-russia-usa&navi=EUROPE

Also:

Bush clamps down on flights to US.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/feb/11/usa.theairlineindustry?gusrc=rss&feed=travel

Hon Daddy Dad, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  2. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I wonder whats their motives at this point of time? Trying to show off their resurgent strength? Really do not want another USSR anytime soon.

wisdomtool, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  3. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Considering it was not all that long ago they did the same sorta thing in the UK, no this is not good at all, sounds like they are testing out how good our reponces are to these kind of thing but why would they want to know this unless they have something planned.

johneva, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  4. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if it means anything. It's just interesting that's all. Putin is a shrewd character though, much smarter than Bush as far as dictators go.

5. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    He flew to Iran just sometime ago and used oil as a weapon against Georgia. Presumably he knew that military might may not be sufficient against USA and the Western powers, his ultimate weapon may be oil and strategic minerals.

6. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    Russia has plenty of nuclear weapons that are a deadly threat. These are more than sufficient in some end game scenario.

7. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    MAD Mutually Assured Destruction, I think Russia's nuclear arsenal can killed the world many times over.

But their conventional weaponry still lack behind the West, that may be the reason why they wanted to use Oil as a weapon. The growing income from Oil reinforced their confidence as their economy is flushed with Petroleum Money.

8. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Russia is a lot weaker than the former Soviet Union. Worse still is that most of the former Warsaw Pact are now Nato members.

bogart, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  9. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think Russia will attack the US or the US will attack Russia. It's an interesting turn of events though.

10. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    It will be a war of proxies, they will each try to enlarge their sphere of influence, Russia's influence had been weakened considerably after SU collapsed, I won't be surprised if they partnered Iran etc to try to exert their influence again. Also not forgetting Venezuela just may be interested in joining, they love the Oil Weapon. Seldom is a day passed without Chavez threatening to turn off the taps to USA.

11. johneva

Best Answers:
    I would not assume that Russia is as weak as you make out, who knows what they have been working on in secret, also you know they would be back by many other countrys like China and all the countrys we have annoyed or been at war with lately.

I just dont get why they would send bombers to the US and the UK unless they were thinking of doing something myself, I sure hope its nothing as if something did happen at the moment we are talking about a massive war kinda with the amount of countrys that would get involved.

johneva, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  12. iul

iul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Russia is now almost surrounded either by NATO members or countries where NATO is fighting wars or might plan to fight wars soon (Iran). The russians probably feel threatened by this so they show off their strength. Putin declared just a few days ago that Russia is preparing for a new arms race

iul, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  13. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    From the same article, it shows it is not just US...
    The part where the Russians denied they were even there reminds me of the battleship incident with Iran.

Rebecca, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  14. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    I was watching discovery a few nights back about U.S. submarines and apparently its very common for Russia and the U.S. to play cat & mouse.

All it takes is one crack pot to open fire on either side and it could end up a war. :eek:

cormac, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  15. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Much ado about nothing

browntwn, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  16. johneva

Best Answers:
    I sure hope so, I just dont get why they would do it though, they must have a reason behind it you dont send bombers to other countrys airspace for no reason.

The fact they have done it to both the UK and the US in 1 year says makes me think why would you do this?

johneva, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  17. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't someone here mention that the Russians were massing their fleet in the North Atlantic?

Oh wait, that was me.

War games. Interesting stuff.

guerilla, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  18. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Russian fleet is rather weak but they are on a major rebuilding program.

bogart, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  19. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Putin needs high oil prices to keep him and his friends friends in power, hence the reason to support Iran. I think this is about getting oil prices back up since they fell to around $90 a barrel.

soniqhost.com, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  20. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's not only oil but all commodities and natural gas. Russia is also an exporter of wheat.

bogart, Feb 12, 2008 IP