1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Markup Validation

Discussion in 'CSS' started by buckmajor, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah. You want to learn PHP, go to Amazon.com and buy a copy of "PHP for the World Wide Web: Visual Quickstart Guide, 2nd Edition" by Larry Ullman. Then go to www.apachefriends.org and download a copy of XAMPP.

Seriously, SAVE the money.

Dan Schulz, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  2. buckmajor

buckmajor Active Member

Best Answers:
    You make it sound so easy and yea I don't mind learning and teaching myself. I thought it better to study with a tutor teaching me incase I get stuck as always lol.

Are you serious, I can learn PHP just like that? Part of me is hesitating and the rest is wanting to buy this book and then spend a whole week study the book. It's funny too cause this course starts in the beginning of March.
    Well hopefully I can conquer CSS first and then work on PHP ;).

I have a few questions

Will PHP teach me how to build a:

1. Database
    2. Online Forum
    3. Online transaction
    4. Ecommerce....(not sure why I asked this lol)
    5. Shopping Chart

buckmajor, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    1) Database would be via mySQL - but PHP gives you access to that, so yes.

2) Forums you are best off with a off the shelf - it's a HUGE project. But knowing php would let you SKIN your forum more directly - especially with GOOD forums like SMF. Once comfortable with php and mySQL, you can dive in to try and make your own.

3) 4) and 5) Integrating most transaction systems usually requires some SSI/CGI knowledge to truly make it feel like part of the site. Once you know how an off the shelf works and understand php, you can dive in to make your own.

In addition to the resources Dan listed, a quick google search for "php tutorial" reveals thousands of pages filled with code examples to learn quickly from.

The example I posted isn't that complex once you understand 'include'.

The include function reads in the content of a file and outputs it's result inline. For example if you had:

header.inc.php
    <html><head><title>test</title></head><body>

and in footer.inc.php
    </body></html>

and then ran the following php script (I'll inline opening and closing php to make it 'simpler' for you)
    <?php include('header.inc.php'); ?>
    <p>Some test Content</p>
    <?php include('footer.inc.php'); ?>

That script would output:
    <html><head><title>test</title></head><body>
    <p>Some test Content</p>
    </body></html>

get the idea? It's really fairly simple - and when starting out is all you really need to know... I "overcomplicated" it by only opening/closing my php once per file, and throwing a variable into the mix.

deathshadow, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  4. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't even learn from books - I tried for Javascript and failed miserably.

6 months ago I had absolutely no idea what HTML was. Now I am very good at it AND CSS - I am still not the best I could be, but I get better every day.

I also speak fluent PHP/MySQL, and this has allowed me to make my clients' sites much better - including basic content management systems.

Last week I had never used Javascript before, now it know it AND Ajax fairly well. And I used just 2 sites to teach me EVERYTHING:
    http://w3schools.com
    http://tizag.com

If you get stuck - post here.

This is where I make you feel bad - I am 14 years old :p. Yes I am a quick learner, but you can learn all this too without paying, so long as you seriously concentrate.

blueparukia, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  5. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You don't ever 'conquer' things (unless you get to be a spec writer), you keep on learning.. btw. I would heavily advise against w3schools and tizag... htmldog is a far better resource.. the only thing w3schools and tizag will teach you is how to code 2002 style.

I wouldn't use the word 'EVERYTHING' unless I read all the DOM specs in addition to comprehending ECMAScript v3.

soulscratch, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  6. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    blueparukia, you might be interested in reading SitePoint's Ultimate CSS Reference then. It even has a browser compatibiity guide second to none. It's available at http://reference.sitepoint.com/css/

Dan Schulz, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  7. buckmajor

buckmajor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey thats not fair man :D, your 14yrs old and way ahead of me. I'm telling your mum and dad to ban you so I can catch up OK lol.

Man if your are 14yrs kiddo what a future you have front of you. I guess I have to study harder then ;)

P.S thanks D,

I did read your guideline page but just need a lot of time to study it since I work night shift driving cabs lol.

CHEERS :)

buckmajor, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  8. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Awesome. Clicked a few random links and ended up at the "clip" property - no idea that existed, and it could be useful if Ie fully supported it ;). Awesome link.

Yes, you must study harder!!

blueparukia, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    ... and keep in mind, as I've repeatedly said, "The day you think there's nothing new to learn is the day the world leaves you behind."

deathshadow, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  10. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    I had just stumbled across that one about 3 weeks ago-- I needed a way to stop the tagline from covering up a menu when the text was hugely grossly oversized (as I know some people do that, and the tagline is really BS compared to the menu), so I looked it up in the back of the HTML Utopia book, and viola-- though it took a few tries to get it right, it only works on absolutely-positioned things (fine), and you're supposed to use commas, but you can't cause IE doesn't like them-- so the validator gives you an error or a warning because you don't have commas, but you can't have them (I got around this by making an Egor Kloos style IE6 sheet, so only compliant-er browsers deal with clip anyway). Huh, and IE7 just doesn't enlarge the text anyway cause it's in pixels... it otherwise gets the compliant stylesheet. ([title attributes are awesome])

As for the Flash-- here's what Dan's talking about: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay

This puts everything in an <object> tag, so no need for the codebase stuff or the embed stuff or whatever-- but it WON'T fix that border problem. Why is <object> so damn hard to style? Foo.

Stomme poes, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  11. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the clients that I have can't stand the activation in msie, so I'm forced to use a js solution. Otherwise Id use flashsatay.

soulscratch, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  12. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah, the UFO thing or SWFObject. I've never used those, but only cause so far the Flashes I've used were banners which weren't on every page, so one extra click wasn't so bad.

Stomme poes, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  13. buckmajor

buckmajor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Dan

I went on amazon and bought that book you recommended to me and yea can't wait to learn php ;). Well of course I have to fully know css before moving on :D:D

buckmajor, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  14. buckmajor

buckmajor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey guys.

I know this is very late notice but today I have finally figured out this include php thing. Yippy :D:)

Man this has been bugging me for months and now I understand a little bit more, big thanks to you guys though including everyone here.

Thanks heaps so much, still got a long way though but finally made some progress :D

CHEERS :)

buckmajor, May 22, 2008 IP