1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do YOU believe in evolution?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by astup1didiot, Oct 29, 2007.

?

Do you believe in evolution?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2007.
  1. Yes

111 vote(s)
    75.5%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. DiscussNow

DiscussNow Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry to tell you that your wrong, but i think you are confusing something many people do when they try to prove evolution.

You are thinking of natural selection. That is adaptation you are seeing every day, not evolution.

There has not been one proven instance of evolution yet, although that doesn't say evolution isn't real.

DiscussNow, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  2. DiscussNow

DiscussNow Peon

Best Answers:
    The age of the earth and evolution are two distinct things.

Anyways, evolution, in a certain sense, can mesh with a greater being.

It seems stupid to me that all of these "laws of the universe" magically appeared on their own.

It also stumps me that you cannot great "something with nothing", that is proven. So how did the universe start.

Then that also leads me to the question, if God created the universe, then who created God?

Maybe we are in a never-ending cycle, where A "god" creates the universe and creates the rules and beings in it. When these beings become advanced enough, they can create their own "mini-universes", where they play the immortal god and create the rules and beings in it. When these beings become advanced enough......,etc. (just one of my personal humorous ideas)

DiscussNow, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  3. risoknop

risoknop Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know how has the universe started and I don't think humans are already advanced enough to understand such complicated physical and mathematical relations but...

Theory about invisible allpowerful allwise guy that creates people from dust and put them into his stupid garden and then fire them off because they ate some stupid apple he didn't want them to eat (why did he put that tree there in the first place... he could prevent Adam from eating apple by just not putting it there...) - to me this doesn't seem as rational explanation of the beginning of the universe. Big Bang theory is at least based on observations and mathematical equations... to me Big Bang and Evolution do seem as more logical explanations than invisible guy and his godly plan...

And evolution is proven. Why do you think it is called scientific theory? Scientists use that term to mark hyphotesis that has been logically proven. (find "scientific theory" at wikipedia). Unfortunatelly, most people don't know that "theory" has nothing to do with "scientific theory"... and they use this irrational "evolution is just theory" argument...

risoknop, Feb 4, 2008 IP
    Cheap SEO Services likes this.
  4. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Adaptation is evolution. You are thinking of speciation where one species turns in to another.

Speciation has been produced in a lab using an experiment called geographic isolation. One species of fruit fly were bred then separated and isolated in two groups for a period of time and fed on different diets. When the fruit flies were reintroduced to each other they would, and could, Only mate with the offspring from the group that they came from. In effect creating a new species of fruit fly. That is observable speciation.

No doubt a creationist will come along now and say something infantile like "yeah, Well why don't they evolve the fly into an elephant".

stOx, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  5. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no. that just comes from an evolutionist's mind.

How can observation lead to the conclusion that there was a big bang, I don't see any evidence that there ever was a big bang? HOW CAN YOU OBSERVE THAT SOMETHING CRAZY LIKE THAT HAPPENED MILLIONS OF YEARS AGO? It's easier for me to believe that there was a garden and an apple 6000 years ago than it is to believe that there was a big bang however many billions of years ago. What is logical about the big bang? Why isn't the moon waaaay farther away if the world is millions of years old? The moon moves away from us more and more every day.

Ok...you don't believe in God, He's invisible. Or does the idea of there possibility being a God scare you? You just said "I don't know how has the universe started and I don't think humans are already advanced enough to understand such complicated physical and mathematical relations but...", yet you are ADVANCED enough to know if there is a God or not?

and don't tell me to go read the text books, they aren't proof of evolution either.

clinton, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  6. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The expansion of the universe is an observable fact. From this observable fact we can conclude that something that is expanding in all directions had an originating point.

See above.

The earth was millions of years old when the moon formed. Moons can form in different ways, The two most common being 1) a captured body that fall into the planets gravity and remained in orbit 2) It forms after an impact from a large body ejects matter in to orbit around the planet. By looking at the composition of elements and minerals on the moon we know that it originated from earth which means it had to have formed long after the earth first formed.

yes they are. Read up on Chimpanzee chromosome 13 and intravenous retro virus DNA in chimpanzees and humans. Both prove evolution to be true and both prove that humans and chimpanzees shared a common ancestor. Educate yourself before attempting to form opinions on things.

Evolution is a fact. And anyone who claims otherwise is either entirely ignorant on the subject or is intellectually dishonest and just looking for justification for the primitive view that the invisible-sky-daddy done it.

stOx, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  7. clinton

Best Answers:
    by observation, how do we know exactly how big the universe was when it started? We can only assume how big that universe was? right?

Couldn't that also mean we came from the same creator?

You can't get everyone to believe in evolution through ridicule, I'm not going to force my self to believe such a thing just because everyone else does. I don't care, you can tell me I'm stupid if I believe in creation, I can sit back and care less what everyone thinks about me.

clinton, Feb 7, 2008 IP
    Cheap SEO Services likes this.
  8. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We know because it's expanding. If something is expanding in all directions it has to have started at a single point. Your intellectual dishonesty is responsible for your unwillingness to acknowledge this.

No, it couldn't. There is absolutely no purpose for intravenous retrovirus DNA remnance, It does nothing. So if it is the result of a "creator" he must be an incompetent imbecile. Like i said, Read up on them and understand what it is before attempting to form an opinion on it.

I didn't call you stupid. I called you either intellectually dishonest or ignorant on the subject. Evolution is a fact. The theory of evolution is used to explain this fact. Every test and experiment developed that has the capacity to falsify evolution ends up supporting it. Every time a discovery is made that is capable of disproving evolution it always provides even more evidence supporting it.

What tests and experiments have been conducted that support the invisible-sky-daddy theory?

Your view on evolution isn't a result of you studying it, Understanding it and coming to a conclusion, We can see that from how little you know about evolution. it's the result of you being told to believe something which is contradicted by evolution. it's as nonsensical as saying gravity doesn't exist because an old book says so.

stOx, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  9. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Its often evolution vs religion. What i don't get is why can't these two things coexist? For example being a Christian why cant one believe that God created everything in the way it can adapt to its environment over time?

mightyb, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  10. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because evolution isn't mentioned in the bible at all to my knowledge, the whole concept of evolution would in fact void religion as a whole, which it does in my opinion. :)

astup1didiot, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  11. clinton

Best Answers:
    The human mind can't understand everything. Saying that there is no sense in what the creator did doesn't prove evolution, it just proves that no one understands the real reason why it was done.

Evolution is an Atheist's crutch.

clinton, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  12. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    It more easy to believe in evolution than an imaginary figure in the sky ;)

What about all the errors in the bible? How would you explain that, if God was all knowing wouldn't all the information be proved 100% without doubt?

13. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We understand the reasons. The reasons are that there is no design and there is only evolution. We share redundant "junk DNA" with the other primates because we share a common ancestor. To say that god put it there is simply you clutching at straws after evidence has blown your entire argument out of the water.

This is what is so dishonest about the creationists. they start with a conclusion and then attempt to discredit anything that contradicts that conclusion while at the same time no offering even a shred of evidence that support their own argument. You aren't interested in truth and education, You are only interested in defending this primitive idea that the invisible sky daddy is responsible. it's 2008, primitive stories made up by bronze age goat herders have no place in this day and age.

stOx, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  14. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Going by that, we need to get rid of every fictional book ever written. Including mythical stories written too? Let's forget all about our past and look to the future. Oh well, there goes the world's stock of English, History and Social Studies teachers. The unemployment queue would be miles long. But wait! let's turn them all into science teachers instead!! We will be fully educated on science. Every student will have their own lab department at home and all will where white coats. Who needs any other sort of education?? ;)

Cheap SEO Services, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  15. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Every fictional book which people claim is factual, especially if it makes them willfully ignorant and makes them deny the obvious.

stOx, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  16. clinton

Best Answers:
    Why is it so hard to believe in something just because you can't see it?

evolution is imaginary. Imagination from observation. lol:D

clinton, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  17. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    You never answered the question ;)

18. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Oh!!!! I had to laugh at this. Your recent blog post "Friendly Atheist Forums"....LOOOOOOOOOL....please tell me this is your forum and you are the friendly one....LOOOOOOOOL....oh please!!! :D

Cheap SEO Services, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  19. clinton

Best Answers:
    People who hate God try to destroy people's beliefs that He could even exist. As far as I'm concerned the Bible has no errors. People who are brought up to reject anything to do with God or the Bible will continue to reject Him as they get older. God is all knowing but He's not going to perform magic tricks for you just to prove He exists. What would faith be if everyone just simply knew

clinton, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  20. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    stOx, Feb 7, 2008 IP