1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What would you do? - ReallyWorried.com

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by ReallyWorried, Feb 7, 2008.

Hello I am Richard Rubin, Britain's Most Worried Man and I'm on here cos there's something really worrying me right now.

I think my website's fantastic but .......

If this were your site, what might you do to try make it go supersonic?

Look forward to your comments.

http://www.reallyworried.com

ReallyWorried, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  2. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    You should be 'really worried' about getting banned for posting URL's so early into your DP life ;)

Nice introduction tho :)

Is your site based on Wordpress? if so I'd recommend that you switch on the URL translation (I think it's Apache's mod_rewrite) so that your URL's are a little more friendly.

Lovely design - easily navigable.

What are you doing to promote your site?

Good luck,

Cheers, p.

pondlife, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  3. ReallyWorried

ReallyWorried Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you.

I launched in June with tons of PR. Now doing stuff like this trying to spread the word.

Got on BBC1 and done around 100 radio shows.

http://www.reallyworried.com/ComfortZone.aspx

4. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    lol nice!

Nice site, too.

Advertise the hell out of that sucker with ads. Also create some really good submissions for sites like DIGG, and articles and quick tips for content sites.

Perry Rose, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  5. ReallyWorried

ReallyWorried Peon

Best Answers:
    Digg? Thank you

6. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is a nice site. It's a little time-sucker though. Wandered in and found myself browsing about WAY too long. :) I even registered because what I really need is more ways to kill time instead of working. It doesn't look as if the posters have anywhere to drop their own url's and nice as the site is, you might find more people willing to take an active and repeated interest if they were also building up their back links. You'd soon be able to identify those who were making an effort to answer questions well and those who were just in it for the links.

e10, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  7. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "If you can, there is no need to worry about it; if you cannot do anything, then there is also no need to worry."
    -Dalai Lama

;)

Creative site idea, must say!

Game Producer, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  8. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    UGH! Landed up reading that damn thing for 10 minutes! :)

I think you are going to really have good luck with this one.

You may want to consider putting in a "send to a friend" form under each submission from a worrier to help get word of mouth going.

I think that if you do it right, you can get a lot of DIGGS. They love shit like this.

Also, don't forget about other sites, like StumbleUpon.

9. ReallyWorried

ReallyWorried Peon

Best Answers:
    I am worried. I am not familiar with DIGGs.

10. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dear, dear. You do need to calm down. Digg like StumbleUpon and Delicious are social bookmarking sites. Getting a site 'Dugg' is a good way to get traffic and some buzz going. I like your site. I'm going to digg it. Simple, isn't it.

e10, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  11. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    lol shut up with the I am worried. lol :)~

DIGG.com. Go look, It is self explanatory.

But don't over do it with the submissions, as this will get your worrisome ass banned. Submit, maybe, a couple of times a week.

They are very strict over there.

Also, don't make your link at the end of your submissions live. That is, they have to copy and paste your url in the address window.

Doing it like that, in addition to including your name reduces the odds in getting banned for spamming.

Do it like you did in your first post.

12. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh oh! I have something to tell you that really might worry you. I tried to Digg your site and I got this:

This link does not appear to be a working link. Please check the URL and try again.

I did check ... tried twice.. but no joy. Sorry, mate.

e10, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  13. cocoMonkey

cocoMonkey Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol. love the site man -- didnt really spend the time that some of these guys did on it.

But the design is so nice, well done.

I must say somthing though, i think the "replies" to the worries are too far down from the actual first post, then i prefer the "straight" line of comments, instead of the left and right columns. -- But anyway, thats not important.

I think you should add a bar that lets you rate the posters worry. To get opinions if the person is worrying about nothing, or has a genuine reason to be worried. Then at the end of each month, see who has posted the most worries that fall into the "really important" worry catogry, and give them a prize.

I would also add some system, where, when a user gives enough good advice, and gets 5 star ratings in another of their replies, they become an "expert", and from then on, they are marked as an expert, and their comments appear at the top, with somthing like: "experts advice:" <--- this could just help people post more comments.

Your site is very much like yahoo answers -- (in a way), so you could look into the way that that become popular.

Good look with your site!

I bet thats going to be BIG :) :)

cocoMonkey, Feb 7, 2008 IP
    e10 likes this.
  14. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm worried that Richard is going to worry too much over that one.

15. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some really good feedback there Cocmonkey! Greenies coming your way. ;)

e10, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  16. ReallyWorried

ReallyWorried Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow. Thanks for that, will definately consider your great ideas.

17. ReallyWorried

ReallyWorried Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the problem with giving ratings is that it would create an element of competition. Therefore the advice being given might not necessarily be best advice or real advice, simply a means to gaining points. The advice people seek on ReallyWorried is based on real life experience. What do you think?

18. ReallyWorried

ReallyWorried Peon

Best Answers:
    Unlimited $$$$$$$ssss.

I'm a one man band!

19. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    For a great Digg/StumbleUpon example check out any news story on the BBC website - they have a small banner at the bottom where you can Digg each article - this could be the key to bringing your site to the wider audience.

pondlife, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  20. cocoMonkey

cocoMonkey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you not already have ratings with the replies?? i can see stars on there :confused:

I've never really seen many adverts for yahoo answers. i did see some around when it first started -- but i think the main reason it took off was because it went viral, and because of the big social site of it. People really get into the "building points" and getting ratings for their answers.

What incitive do your users have right now for leaving comments on your site?
    Why would someone post a worry to your site instead of yahoo answers?

These are all just ideas worried guy ;) Im in no way insulting your site -- its great. Just offering ideas.

I think the rewards for taking part could be a way of getting more users -- and free rewards such as titles point are better for you - but monthly "joke" kind of prizes, such as trophies, etc could really help.

For a long shot, why not get in touch with fly2 or another airline / travel company -- and see if they could offer 1 lucky user a holiday in exchange for advertising space? The most worried person of the year wins a holiday?

I wouldnt worry about the "advice being given might not necessarily be best advice or real advice" <-- it's all content for your site, that gets it built up, gets it higher in the search engines, gets it seen as an authority site, that in the long run will help.

Once you drop the montly prizes, (and the one off year holiday ;) ) you'll lose some visitors, but the ones who continue to use it will be more likely to just leave genuine advice.

P.s just because there is no rating, dosnt mean the advice would be garbage anyway. :p but ratings will/could improve the no. of visitors.

cocoMonkey, Feb 7, 2008 IP