1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Microsoft to buy Yahoo

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pasfile, Feb 1, 2008.

1. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with that. The longer Yahoo holds out on the deal is the more they loose.

worldman, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  2. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I guess Microsoft number crunchers really had the perfect time to launch the takeover given such market conditions.

wisdomtool, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  3. wmghori

wmghori Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If this deal goes bad, my guess is google might try to get yahoo.

wmghori, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  4. anglefourfivemedia

anglefourfivemedia Banned

Best Answers:
    The difference is that Google really thinks they know what's best for the Internet(I've seen Sergy Brin and Larry Page speak to employees at Doubleclick, they are completely obsessed and over caffinated) and Microsoft simply wants market share and ad revenue.

Not judging just observing(as I type on my PC).

anglefourfivemedia, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  5. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "If this happens it'll be a 2 horse race..." << my say

Its like a war still lol, yet google is by far vast in the lead..

if MS buys Yahoo.. that would be great! but .. i believe ebay's engine is just getting ready to sneak attack and drive some more away from google :D (aka stumbleupon)

and also as more and more people are starting to use the internet.. its only time before google hits the peak and then starts to slowly plummet...

Dreads, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  6. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    Google has a vision that is to be the brain of everyone using technology a very grand and far reaching vision!

wisdomtool, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  7. whooped

whooped Peon

Best Answers:
    Get real. No one is going to buy a few cinderella's except for scrap metal. Second, if your defining tangible value as goods, Disney theme parks are a service.

News Corp owns tv stations. Money comes from ads. Newspapers. Ads. Movie Studio. Ticket sales. Hmmm...

Comparatively, Google owns millions of servers, many strategic plots of land on which they put their datacenters. They own online ads and have a footprint in TV and radio ads, which are the business of News Corp. and Disney. They own bandwidth. They are or could easily be a registrar.

whooped, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  8. Amirmullick3

Amirmullick3 Banned

Best Answers:
    Yahoo is a great website. I always use it: for chess, pool, emails, SE, and much more. I hope Microsoft isnt planning to do something stupid with Yahoo! and thier functions.....

Amirmullick3, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  9. SunDevil

SunDevil Peon

Best Answers:
    Just like mico to mess up a good thing. Just look at what they did with the live search engine...

Yahoo will battle back.

Hey...I bet on the giants and look what happened!

SunDevil, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  10. salmanq

salmanq Peon

Best Answers:
    its not the issue ;)

salmanq, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  11. pharcyded

pharcyded Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope the deal does go through. I am all for technology progression no matter who wins or loses business wise. It couldn't hurt for the purchase to happen so might as well give it a whirl.

pharcyded, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  12. rome

rome Peon

Best Answers:
    On a Personal level, I don't like the idea of Microsoft taking over Yahoo, Microsoft is not very consumer friendly and I had been a Yahoo Mail and Messenger user since the last 9 years and am afraid Microsoft will change the complete look of Yahoo which most of present Yahoo users would not be liking ....

At the same time I'm surprised as a huge and one of the oldest organisation on the internet Yahoo is not able to survive....

rome, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  13. arcadie

arcadie Peon

Best Answers:
    i just hope the dont turn yahoo into msn...

arcadie, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  14. 7031

7031 Peon

Best Answers:
    True. I think Yahoo will definitely hold this out for as long as possible. However, I suppose that it is still possible that Yahoo might not take the deal.

7031, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  15. fr@nc!z

fr@nc!z Active Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft will buy Yahoo? Then, what will happen to MSN? Will it be a SISTER SE of Yahoo?

fr@nc!z, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  16. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    I don't think anyone can answer this question except for the top few executives in Microsoft, how they plan to integrate Yahoo, how they plan use Yahoo's advantage to gain more access of the Internet from Google are beyond the likes of any of us here.

wisdomtool, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  17. anglefourfivemedia

anglefourfivemedia Banned

Best Answers:
    Here's my conclusion on the whole Microsoft deal.

Microsoft had a monopoly on SOFTWARE, which stifled innovation, but the programming community answered back with open source alternatives to the Windows platform.

Now Google was close to a monopoly on ONLINE ADVERTISING but the Microsoft deal could create more innovation and opportunities for everybody. The Yahoo-Micosoft deal is good for just about everybody except Microsoft and Google. Everyone on Wall Street is saying that the deal is way too expensive and is going to be a big short term loss for Microsoft.

As far as SEARCH is concerned (as long as a country is Net Neutral) users will always shift to the Search engine that delivers the most relevant non-spammy content, right now the best search "product" is Google bar none.

anglefourfivemedia, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  18. techjunkiez

techjunkiez Banned

Best Answers:
    I never support MS buying yahoo

techjunkiez, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  19. fadetoblack

fadetoblack Peon

Best Answers:
    The adcenter-YSM would be really benefiting for the websmasters.But google will still be the preferred search engine , atleast for a while.

fadetoblack, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  20. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Appearantly you do not understand the term "tangible" goods. All of Google's profits are from ads and they own nothing more than servers a couple acres of land. Disney on the other hand owns hotels, theme parks, news stations, industrial software companies (Pixar) and not to mention their million dollar deals with Apple and other big companies like Sony. If they crash they have plenty of tangible goods to sell of to get back some of that money.

Google has none of that and the more their stocks go up is the more likely they are to fall.

worldman, Feb 6, 2008 IP