1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can a Mailing List Add $10,000 to Your Income??

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Jason Green, Jan 23, 2008.

An Introduction to Email Marketing

Here is a brief introduction to using mailing lists to add $$$ to your bottom line.

Email mailing lists are good for keeping the people most passionate about your website (or niche) updated about new content from your site and other relevant information.

Rather than people having to remember to visit (or simply stumble upon) your site again, they are sent an email directly reminding them of your site (or something else you are promoting).

Great for Retaining Visitors

This direct approach is very good at keeping visitors coming back. Sure some people might not open your email - but you certainly have a much bigger chance of getting them back to your site (or doing whatever else you want them too) by being able to send them a direct email.

Targeted Audience to Personally Market To

It is also a very personal way of marketing allowing you to build trust and a rapport with your subscribers. You are reaching people at their personal email inbox and talking to them directly.

Also since the people that decide to sign up to your niche are generally very passionate about your niche\site you will get more powerful results from any promotions.

Essentially people that sign up your list have dropped a little deeper into your sales funnel allowing you to generate leads and drive sales (be it your own products or affiliate products).

Your email list is essentially a selection of targeted leads that you can further monetize on.

Command Your Own Traffic

If you are able to build up a large enough mailing list you essentially control a given amount of targeted traffic.

Should all your Google traffic stop you could still keep people coming to your site and make money using your mailing list.

Essentially your mailing list is given you a more secure source of visitors that will strengthen your business.

What is a Mailing List For?

A mailing list can simply be used to update people on new posts or articles on your site and/or to send out the occasional update when you have some cool news.

Your mailing list doesn’t have to be a sales pitch and can simply be used to keep people coming back to your site and to build a stronger relationship with your audience.

That said it is also good to use your mailing list to:

* show subscribers to your best posts and articles,
    * give your subscribers some private content only available to subscribers (to help build trust and a stronger relationship)
    * recommend\sell the best products & services.

Continue Reading >>>> - Click to read about Automated Email Marketing using RSS & Autoresponders.

Feel free to republish this post on your own site or forum but you MUST link back to the original post with a SE friendly link.

Jason Green, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  2. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    But how to build a mailing list ?
    And how many members can be considered GOOD for a list to become successful ? :)

MeetHere, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  3. Jason Green

Jason Green Peon

Best Answers:
    By pl;acing a signup form on your site and using various promotion tactics as discussed here to get visitors.

Also paid traffic (e.g PPC) sent direct to a squeeze page (a page soley made to encourage people to sign up).

How longs a peice of string?

Depends on niche, quality of people on your mailing list and your own personal goals.

In most cases you would want a few thoasand at least though.

Jason Green, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  4. ::TECHMAN::

::TECHMAN:: Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice article, Jason. I've been experimenting with squeeze pages lately but I use lists mostly to push affiliate products... like requiring them to signup to receive a freebie then sending them recommendations etc. I'll try to use what I learn from your post in the future though.

Cheers

::TECHMAN::, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  5. Arob

Arob Peon

Best Answers:
    they build a list of emails

I was building lists back in grade school because I was obsessed with being popular and now this whole build a list phenom is makes me all too cognicent of my quest to run for school president

the next step in the equation is the merchants looking to solicit your business through the lists and you wondering if you should sell ad space in your newsletter to online pharmacy company

Arob, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  6. The Emirates Gallastico

The Emirates Gallastico Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice article.

I'm building one, although being with a crap autoresponder doesn't help much. :(

I believe DayJobKiller (.com) sold 5k times in its first day... a lot of that was down to the mailing list. Considering each sale was at $97, that's a lot, lot more than 10... :D

The Emirates Gallastico, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  7. RobD

RobD Peon

Best Answers:
    The best way I have found to build a list is either to offer a free ebook to those who join(A good one, not some piece of junk you downloaded off a freebie site - write it yourself), or alternatively building a list with a pre-launch sign-up.

RobD, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  8. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Less than 10% sign up. Of those, many won't read past the second e-mail. Sorry, but giving vital info that can lead to sales and repeat visitors to less than 10% of a site's visitors isn't a very good idea.

But different strokes for different folks. If a Webmaster thinks it works for him, go for it.

Perry Rose, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  9. RobD

RobD Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course - what works for one site may not work for another. Personally my signup rate has never been below 50% of visitors and currently sits around 85%. But you also have to consider that:

1. The free giveaway may have been the hook that got them to visit the site anyway.
    2. You can market to that list over and over again.
    3. 10% conversion to a list with multiple opportunity to sell is better than 2% conversion on sales.

The trick with a mailing list is to provide them the sort of quality that makes the second email as valuable as the giveaway - and maintain that quality throughout. There are mailing lists i am subscribed to that I sigh when I see the new message, and there are ones that I wait for the next message eagerly. Just having a list is not enough - you have to work it properly. If you do that then getting a 10-20% conversion rate from a mailout is not unheard of. What's more - for any new product you produce you have an instant market, you don't need to wait for those visitors to come to your website.

RobD, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  10. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    What's your URL?

Perry Rose, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  11. usmanzali

usmanzali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great article. :D

usmanzali, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  12. Jason Green

Jason Green Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you ever tried it? How big was your mailing list.

Talking from experience it does work and it works wonders!
    It is just one part of your marketing campaign but is very important.

Jason Green, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  13. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    *shrugs shoulders* Ok, if you think it works wonders, well, more power to you. :)

Perry Rose, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  14. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pretty good article (and blog info too). Thanks for sharing

Game Producer, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  15. air-rift

air-rift Peon

Best Answers:
    Does A Bear Shit In The Woods?

air-rift, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  16. MOG

MOG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it does, but I am yet to see a bear earn 10,000 dollars from a mailling list... :D

MOG, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  17. Jason Green

Jason Green Peon

Best Answers:
    Email marketing does work which is why so many large internet companies use it (e.g eBay).

You say it is a waste of time working on those 10% of visitors that sign up - but the fact is they are the most passionate users of your site and are most passionate about your niche and most likely to buy.

People run business purely on email marketing - without a proper website (just an email sign up page) and generate a lot of money - that's not necesarily the best method - but email marketing on its own can make a lot of money so why not implement it as part of your business when you can have it running on autoppilot?

Jason Green, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  18. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Jason, if it works for you, then great. Why send a rebuttal? *shrugs shoulders* I just left it as is because it is your thread, and you are one of the few posters here I can honestly say I enjoy reading threads from.

But since you brought it up...

So, because so many large Internet companies use it that means it works?

There are a million and one links out there on penis enlargment supplements, does that mean it works?

Not to contradict myself, Jason, but I'm not saying that it doesn't bring in customers, and old visitors, because it does. All I am saying is that it isn't as great as some Webmasters think it is.

So few sign up in the first place, and of those who do sign up, many won't read past the second e-mail, it is just common sense to pitch the sales to EVERYONE who visits the home and sub pages.

You can tell first-time visitors of new features and news that is coming soon, and put in a well-worded message to get them to remember your site.

Why tell only a small fraction of your visitors?

It's that old saying: The more you tell, the more you sell.

A kick-ass site, along with a well-worded message stating to put the site in their favorites is what keeps them coming back.

And what are you going to do, keep sending them e-mail time after time? If they don't want to come back, they ain't comin' back. ... Period.

A Webmaster who knows what he is doing can talk to EVERYONE in his site directly, including the less than the average 10% who sign up.

Hey, you asked. :)

Jason, like I said, man, if you think it works, go for it.

It's one of these things where it is different strokes for different folks, and we can agree to disagree.

Perry Rose, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  19. Xenix47

Xenix47 Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes you can make 10,000 you can make 20,000

Xenix47, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  20. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    $30,000.

No, $40,000.

:)~