1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best league in the world; is MLS better than EPL?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & TV' started by tbarr60, Feb 2, 2008.

I saw a quote by Alexi Lalas where he implied that the MLS was better than EPL. It sounded stupid but they are starting to draw some top players in and all teams in the MLS actually have a chance of finishing at the top of the standings. The EPL on the other hand is basically a four team league with 16 supporting actors. So in some senses, MLS is better but it can't realistically hope to become a top 4 team sport in North America.

Beyond soccer, I think Major League Baseball suffers from the money problem that EPL does but a few lower budget teams always seem to surprise each year but then the Yankees lure their players away. The NFL tends to have dynasties appear based on a great quarterback and a good system. The NBA seems to be a good system where smart management (Pistons, Spurs, Suns) can always beat dumb management (see New York Knicks, L.A. Clippers). And the NHL may have the most parity since adding a salary cap which again allows smart management to prevail.

So, if we define best league in the world as the one where every fan has a chance of seeing his team win, what's the best?

tbarr60, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  2. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    The wikipedia page on the US Open Cup is interesting...

Here in Kansas City, we like to sit around watching the World Series and counting ex-Royals...

NetMidWest, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  3. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was thinking of the Royals, Twins, A's and a few others. Well at least your Chiefs are more respectible than my Lions. :eek:

The US Open Cup was very interesting but it looked more interesting before the MLS joined in.

tbarr60, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  4. erolelcott

erolelcott Peon

Best Answers:
    well, epl... as simple as that!!

erolelcott, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  5. nightfish

nightfish Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course EPL is better. I can't even name a single team from MLS but i can easily tell you at least 10 or 15 from the Premiership. Although i'm starting to bother less about it because it's getting heavilly commercial.

nightfish, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  6. ameya44

ameya44 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No competition... EPL is way better. Actually, it is said to be the biggest and the most popular league in the world....

ameya44, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  7. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You need to think through the question. Is a league that is basically a 4 team league the best or is a league that any team in the league can realistically end the season in first place now or in the near future a better league?

Also, you need to learn a bit more about the EPL, it's big amongst soccer leagues but it is much smaller than the NFL, in fact the EPL is the fourth largest league in revenue and is probably fifth in attendance.

tbarr60, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  8. thomascraig

thomascraig Guest

Best Answers:
    The EPL is by far the best league in the world, this is why the top players are attracted to it and the media coverage is focused on this league.

thomascraig, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  9. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Please read the question, not just the title.

tbarr60, Feb 3, 2008 IP