1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to report a hacker - Keeps hacking my site/forum and won't go away

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Skribblez, Jan 20, 2008.

I live in Australia, but the hacker resides in Denmark.

How can I possibly report him?

He won't go away, he won't stop.

He keeps hacking my IPB forum, even though it's the latest version, and all admins have hard passwords. Root WHM and cPanel for that site also have hard passwords.

What can I do about this? I've already tried to work something out with him, but he's doing this out of hate for the site.

Skribblez, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  2. Renegadez

Renegadez Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Skribblez, I thinks he know each other ;)

How are you being hacked?

You should know my contacts, as you're not the only cwalker on this forum haha. :D

Renegadez, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  3. LevaCygnet

LevaCygnet Peon

Best Answers:
    My first suspicion is that if you've got the latest version on the site, and everyone's got good passwords, is that it's an inside job. Are you 100% totally and completely positive every single admin on the site is 100% trustworthy? From experience, I can say it's easy to "think" you know someone online and be wrong.

The only people on my site, FWIW, who have administrative access are a couple of people who work for my host (who have physical access to the servers anyway, so I'm so not worried about them having my admin password, LOL!) and a woman I've known for thirteen years.

My suggestion? Take access away from EVERYONE except yourself, across the board. If that fixes the problem, you know it's an inside job. From there, it becomes a "wetware" problem and have fun solving that. It may take quite a bit of detective work to figure out who the bad guy(s) are on your staff.

If that doesn't solve your problem, you can assume it's a security hole and you'll need to figure out how he's getting in and fix it. Have fun playing "whack a mole" until you figure it out.

(If you don't have the skills for this, find a good old-school hacker and pay them to find the holes. Then get the holes fixed. IPB may be able to help you out there if the problem's with the application and not the server. I've known a few guys who'd consider "find the security holes" an entertaining game. Rinse, lather, repeat as necessary. The end result will be a secure site.)

Legal options are probably ineffective, though others here might have some ideas.

Oh, one easy thing to check? If you're on a shared server, who else has access to that server? Your host may be able to help you there. Sometimes, there's a security issue server side that can be fixed. Somebody who has permissions that they shouldn't, that sort of thing.

Moving to a new host might be something to consider, if your host isn't real responsive in helping check for security holes on the server side.

-- Leva

LevaCygnet, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  4. kk_maths90

kk_maths90 Peon

Best Answers:
    there is always backdoor for vbulletin n ipb .... try to contact IPB or VBUlletin ppl ... :p

kk_maths90, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  5. gpearce

gpearce Active Member

Best Answers:
    To report him/her , grab the IP and do a lookup, then email abuse@(company) with teh Ip address, time, and proof of hack, and let them take it from there :)

gpearce, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  6. mann3r

mann3r Peon

Best Answers:
    ask the support of your host, if they cannot do it, change them. or block the IP.

mann3r, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  7. Pwner

Pwner Peon

Best Answers:
    Ban his ip or ip range of the server (if he always connects from the same ips)

Pwner, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  8. bradaboy24

bradaboy24 Peon

Best Answers:
    haha for one thing he doesnt ly in denmark and thats not his real ip adress! lmao!! U wont be able to trace him! hit the ctrl-alt-shift-then the letter k on your key board all at the same time and see if if there is something that pops up! lol.. AND THERE NOT CALLED HACKERS ;) THOSE GUYS ARE CALLED CRACKERS:) A TERM HACKER IS USUALLY MIS INTERPETED, A HACKER IS A GOOD PERSON THAT USES THERE SKILLS IN LEGAL WAYS:) A CRACKER IS A CRIMINAL HACKER IS SHORT FOR CRACKER! contact me at hippobad22 if u want:p:D

bradaboy24, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  9. lynder

lynder Peon

Best Answers:
    He might not be a hacker. It's probably an inside job. Contact your host. There's no other way to deal with cyber goons

lynder, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  10. web-world

web-world Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    haker get new ip!!!

web-world, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  11. johnwoof

johnwoof Peon

Best Answers:
    hi

Keylogger in ur pc or ur admin pc so that he is gaining access .

thanks

johnwoof, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  12. web-world

web-world Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That Keylogger ,get your passwords + Unames re ebay paypal

web-world, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  13. hnhuty

hnhuty Active Member

Best Answers:
    i would not try to tackle that person through legal proceedings (if there is any way).. i would take forever even to track that guy.

instead, i would rather employ a security team and pay them well (obviously, i could afford it)

hnhuty, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  14. lynder

lynder Peon

Best Answers:
    ^
    A hacker/cracker/nutter (whatever, all people who uses another person's bandwich are unethical [take note, i didn't say EVIL]), will never use the same IP (not unless he or she is more of a retard than she or he already is)

lynder, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  15. craigedmonds

craigedmonds Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Forget about reporting them, they probably connect through proxy servers etc.

Get a reputable security support service if you dont know security that well.

www.platinumservermanagement.com cost $19 per month for complete peace of mind and I can highly recommend them.

They have sorted a few of my cpanel servers out no problems.

Good luck.

craigedmonds, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  16. bradaboy24

bradaboy24 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a bunch of hokus pokus!:D If its someone that uses your computer they put a keylogger as i stated earlier-which will not be visible to u! u cant track them unless there stupid! and dont mask there ip adress- which i dought cause if they were they wouldnt be getting in all the time..OR MAYBE ITS ME THATS DOING IT!! AHAHAHA;)

bradaboy24, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  17. Darondavis

Darondavis Peon

Best Answers:
    These new age hackers are different then the ones of the late 80's. They are ahead of all the technology in the world, in fact companies like Microsoft consult with them before going public with a new software.

I met this hacker a few years back, goes by the handle v00d00. Jason (he now goes by his real name) is like the freaking "Tommy Lee" of hacking. He parties with A list celebrities, and is worth more than Cameron Diaz.

My point is, how do you catch someone like this. If companies like Microsoft go to them for help, and they are on Hollywood's who's who, who has your back when your myspace account get's cracked!

Yes, Hackers are now untouchable celebs that can get away with anything just like Paris, Britney, and Lindsey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darondavis, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  18. rojar123

rojar123 Peon

Best Answers:
    you got a point. No offence, but why wud such a big hacker, hack small websites???

rojar123, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  19. for_si2003

for_si2003 Banned

Best Answers:
    Try securing your config.php by encrypting it ( the username and password should remain encrypted).There is some encryption method available. No password should remain unencrypted anywhere.

Try securing by modifying .htaccess file. Try all the avenues before getting the service of an expert. That you you will learn along the way.

for_si2003, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  20. chickuzt

chickuzt Banned

Best Answers:
    cuz they gots nos lifes... lol

chickuzt, Jan 27, 2008 IP