1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a niche directory with Joomla, opinions please

Discussion in 'Directories' started by PinkyRing, Jan 15, 2008.

Over the last year I have been developing simple websites with joomla, and would like to test making a directory using an extension that is available for free.

My niche would be promotional product suppliers and the site is here: www.promotionalindex.com

Since this is my first directory, I would like opinions concerning the use of joomla for directories and if anyone could give me opinions on the site in general that would be great!

I know the promotional market quite well and I plan to add some good content with time, hopefully making a practical directory for potential clients.

thanks

- should anyone like to add their page to the directory, I would gladly accept good sites related to the categories.

PinkyRing, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  2. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't recommend it. don't lose your time and start with one of the directory scripts either paid or free.

enQuira, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  3. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    May i ask why you dont recommend using Joomla please?

pipes, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  4. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say that your directory layout is not seo friendly.

An address like it is in your case:
    domain.com/promotional-directory/15.html

is not descriptive. If it was my directory I would like to see something like this
    domain.com/promotional-directory/pins-badges.html

Then there's another point. If you go to the Pins and Badges sections, you obviously have two links there. Now, for a hasty visitor like me, it is quite difficult to understand that these are directory entries and I should click on them. Don't ask me why but they just don't look clickable, I am not attracted to them. If you decide to stick with Joomla, remove those beige backgrounds and try to play with styles a bit.

Unfortunately I cannot suggest any other dir script as the one I use is made by me and cannot be used on multiple categories but I hope you got some idea of what to search for. Good luck!

tankard, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  5. PinkyRing

PinkyRing Member

Best Answers:
    Tankard, thanks for the advice. There is an extension for more friendly URLs, which I was planning on buying ($5) for this directory. First I wanted people's opinion on using Joomla though.

Thanks for the design tips, I just added a few sites to test, I'll work on improving that.

PinkyRing, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  6. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    phpld offers free and paid options,
    download and try free version first,
    i might sure you will never use "Joomla" any more!

WallaceYeung, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  7. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    search engines will have hard time indexing and ranking joomla pages even with all those extensions. If a cms is a must then go with wordpress!

enQuira, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Welll i have'nt used Joomla yet and am yet to experience how the extensions work, but i read that the SEO problem is mostly a past problem due to what extras are available.

pipes, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  9. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    It has been a long time since I used it but from what I still see in live sites it still sucks.
    even in the site mentioned in the OP, the links can not be picked up by search engines (javascript).
    many other factors make joomla not good for seo.

enQuira, Jan 16, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  10. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well your post definately matches what i have read in the past and sometimes still recently, so i can appreciate what your saying, in general im still going to check out Joomla, always good to try for myself. :)

pipes, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  11. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to edit your footer. It's too long. You can remove the Joomla word actually but not to modify the source code.

Bohol, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  12. PinkyRing

PinkyRing Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks all. So far I have been pleased with joomla for some of our other sites, and yes you can make the links SEF or search engine friendly, I just havent done it yet for the directory in this thread.
    I understand Joomla version 1.5 solves allot of these issues too.

Not that I'm trying to promote joomla, but http://www.tnawrestling.com/ is a pretty big site built with joomla and gets about 1million visits a month.

PinkyRing, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  13. seold

seold Peon

Best Answers:
    seold, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  14. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is not inherently SEO friendly, that is tweaking of the URL's is a bit more difficult & also it consumes lot of server resources, Please correct me If I am wrong.

Red_Virus, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  15. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure it gets its traffic from google with only 300 pages indexed. If it was build with wordpress I am sure their traffic would at least double.

enQuira, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  16. deebee

deebee Active Member

Best Answers:
    A few urban myths being posted here about Joomla. Here's 2 of the sites which are Joomla/Mambo based.

ShetlandPonyWeb - 800+ unique visitors per day. 4020 indexed pages. Runs mTree as the core directory and a bridged SMF forum.

Accommodation Directory - 150+ unique visitors per day. 1060 indexed pages. Run mTree as the core directory.

Neither site has SEF URLs but Google has never found that to be a problem.

My advice? Get a decent template; there are plenty of really cost-effective templates club turning out smart templates every month.

Use mTree. The latest version rocks and you can use SEF advance if you think it's necessary.

deebee, Jan 16, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  17. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You know, if you are talking about SEO on every SE's, I guess then Joomla is not the best choice.

But SEO in general, we usually tend to focus on Google only, and G can crawl Joomla script very well.

I don't worry about what script you choose to use, even without SE friendly. Dynamic pages are as good as static html for some time, and there is no supplement pages exist any more in G either.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/07/supplemental-goes-mainstream.html

coolsitez, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  18. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    I too am to be checking Joomla for its compatibility for my directory ideas, I will be being reporting back to here with my findings.

Jaboora, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  19. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am no coding expert- in fact have no idea. But I would always recommend trying out different coding platforms for directories as it is getting easier for Google to detect the URLs of a particular script if it is being used by thousands of directories.

Those who are able to must try to diversify in order to make the industry more wide on use of script.

jhnrang, Jan 16, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  20. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    This is most excellent advice I am thanking you for.

Jaboora, Jan 17, 2008 IP