1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's Stance On Selling/Buying Text Links...

Discussion in 'Google' started by bad_bob00, Jan 13, 2008.

Hi there,

I was just wondering about Google and their attitude towards sites that buy or sell text links.

Basically I'm wondering, if a site sells a text link to an unrelated website, does the unrelated website get punished, or is is just the site that sold the link that gets penalized?

Also, how does Google know when a site sells a text link? Do they only base it on the category of the site that they are linking to?

Thanks for any help :)

bad_bob00, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  2. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry if this is the kind of question that gets asked a lot (tried searching but not found an answer to my questions).

Would appreciate any help offered

bad_bob00, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  3. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not just unrelated, even if you sell links to related sites, you could get penalized. But only to link sellers. (you can cheat on your competitor if Google also penalize link buyers). However, I think Google algo is still sux in their stance again paid links. I see there are many smart websites who can still get good rank with paid links. (of course not crappy paid links like TLA or blogroll or blog posts)

wokaka, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  4. superpump

superpump Peon

Best Answers:
    in my opinion, if you offer relative useful content to your visitors, then you are not doing anything wrong, even if that means offering a link go an acne website from your skin health website...

superpump, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  5. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How does Google know if you are buying/selling links though? I mean, surely if you link to a related website then that is allowed - I thought that was just normal link exchange activity?

How do they tell if someone has paid or sold links?

6. maxyRO

maxyRO Peon

Best Answers:
    If the link is totally unrelated or stands under Advertisement or something of that kind.

maxyRO, Jan 14, 2008 IP
    bad_bob00 likes this.
  7. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    So does Google have automated programs that go round checking for links that are placed under advertisements, etc?

Thanks

8. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    I see that Google is not penalizing sites through manual investigation. I think Google is just penalizing through its algorithm, that's why we can see there are plenty of websites who can sell links without get penalized until now

wokaka, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  9. tylerdjefferson

tylerdjefferson Peon

Best Answers:
    They are normally against link buying and selling. Sites that do that have a chance of getting baned.

tylerdjefferson, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  10. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    Google hasn't said exactly how it detects purchased links or what penalties it imposes on either buyers or sellers. So nobody can give absolutely certain answers to your questions.

A few blatant cases of large scale selling appear to have been identified by personal observation by Google employees, but as far as automatic algorythmic identification of small scale secret link purchases by private arrangement, that wouldn't be possible.

billybw, Jan 14, 2008 IP
    bad_bob00 likes this.
  11. logikcoder

logikcoder Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66736

logikcoder, Jan 14, 2008 IP
    bad_bob00 likes this.