1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ASPX page installation(Db config) basic troubleshooting

Discussion in 'C#' started by weblogic, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi,

I have a small project from my client in aspx. I am a newbie to aspx and much familiar with php and linux.
    I have the
    1. aspx pages coded by some programmer
    2. db in sql format
    3. windows hosting in godaddy

What are the basic steps need for me to modify to make the page work
    (In linux we might edit some config file, phpmyadmin the sql file etc) so i need some similar inputs regarding the same.
    My web.config shows a line
    <add key="ConnectionString" value="server=dev.developer.com;database=Rtydb;uid=sa;pwd=sa;"/>
    so what i need to do in my hosting account to create
    1. server
    2. import the existing db to this one

A step by step info would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance for the DP community

weblogic, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  2. Jhar

Jhar Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a post on my blog - aspstarterkit.com that I think addresses you issue - http://aspstarterkit.com/?page_id=15

Jhar, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  3. vbrocks

vbrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

most windows hosting companies have problems migrating/restoring mssql databases. If you have your db provided as a script, that should be easier - just run the script using the db tools in the site control panel.
    Depending on what your script has, you may need to create the database first, may be even give it an initial size. Then run the script. Some scripts have the database creation command - so that may be a little easier, just fix the path and verify the database name in the command.

Regarding the connectionstring parameter for the web.config file - your connection string is syntactically valid - however you likely need to change -
    - database server (ask your hosting provider)
    - database name (check your sql script)
    - username/password (never use sa for your web sites, instead create a dedicated database user and grant proper rights using your hosting plan control panel. Not mentioning that sa account will likely not work with the hosting solution).

Regards.

vbrocks, Feb 9, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.