1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long for godaddy DNS change?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Killermule, Jan 5, 2008.

I have previusly used namecheap for my domain registrations and everytime I add my hosting dns I can instantly upload files to my addon account and they appear on domain.

I was just transfered a site in godaddy and I have added my DNS and the domain to my host but it isnt coming up with wat i upload :|

How long does DNS change with godaddy take?? Iv barely used them and I hate them already.

Thnx,
    Sam.

Killermule, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  2. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As long as it takes your isp to renew their cache (24-48 hours) which is why you are not seeing resolution. More than likely you typed in the domain name before you changed the NS. Try your site though a proxy to verify this. It is the same as NC.

You can go ahead and upload your files by logging in to your main account and changing to the correct directory.

Colbyt, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  3. boltok

boltok Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't hate godaddy just for this (there are other reasons to). The time it's taking is due to the Internet root servers being updated and unrelated to godaddy. That takes anywhere from a couple of hours to 2 days. Do a whois for your domain which should tell you something about the current status.

boltok, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  4. Agent_Smith

Agent_Smith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1 - 48 hours.

Although, with Namecheap if you enter the nameserver upon registration they do instantly change i find.

Agent_Smith, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  5. Meth_

Meth_ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    godaddy sucks in so many ways
    I would of stuck with namecheap or went with domainsite

Meth_, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  6. tommytx

tommytx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Normally on godaddy they change instantly also. If you don't get an update in a couple of hours, I would try to submit again.. rarely have they taken more than a few minutes for any of mine.

tommytx, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  7. Overclock099

Overclock099 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think its depend to server not Godaddy.. Some time It take only 2 hour when i move to my hostgator account.. But when i pointed to another server account take about 12 hour..

Overclock099, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  8. Killermule

Killermule Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeh it ended up taking 2 and a half hrs. I only used godaddy because its where a domain I ought was.

I WONT use it again.... If I can help it anyways....

Namecheap is so much easier....

Killermule, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  9. skyhome

skyhome Peon

Best Answers:
    Godaddy rocks. I have 50 domains with them and everytime I change DNS, I can see it within 2 hours. Now I have a domain with bluehost and I updated almost 14 hours ago, I don't see any changes at all..

skyhome, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  10. Killermule

Best Answers:
    within 2 hrs isnt fast enough. I need it immediately which namecheap does.

Killermule, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  11. boltok

boltok Active Member

Best Answers:
    The delay before DNS changes come in effect (except changing the actual DNS servers for your domain) is fully customizable. You can set the TTL (Time To Live) for any record to be as low as a few minutes, though this would greatly increase the load on the DNS servers.

GoDaddy uses 2 hours as the default, but you can change this. However, when you're about to change the Primary and Secondary DNS servers for your domain, this update is submitted to the root servers which are independent of any commercial domain registrar. This can take upto 48 hours and if any registrar claims to do this instantly, it ain't true.

boltok, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  12. Ladadadada

Ladadadada Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen people hitting the old server for weeks or even months after a DNS change but the majority of people (95% - 98%) move within 15 minutes. Our name service provider drops the TTL down quite low on the day before the change was requested for and cranks it back up afterwards.

The usual reason for all this is DNS caching which is completely out of your control. Firefox and IE both cache DNS locally so after the change you will usually have to quit and restart your browser. You won't be able to get your users to do that so you will just have to wait until they do it themselves. Googlebots seem to keep hold of DNS for about a week but they cache it locally so some bots may find your new server while others keep hitting the old one. Other bots exhibit similar behaviour.

The best bet is to keep both servers running for at least a week after the change or until you see that no one is using the old one anymore.

Ladadadada, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  13. Killermule

Best Answers:

I never said sumone claimed to do this. Namecheap has been doing it. They have been instant for anything I have done.

Killermule, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  14. boltok

boltok Active Member

Best Answers:
    It could be that you are both near the same root server and see the changes instantly. 48 hours is the maximum time that the TLD root servers require to update, but depending on the traffic, the change may be propagated a lot faster.

boltok, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  15. yesmate

yesmate Peon

Best Answers:
    Its 24-48 hrs no matter who you are with

yesmate, Mar 26, 2010 IP
  16. tommytx

tommytx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is my 2 cents... when I do a new domain on godaddy.. within seconds the url shows their garbage, and I can go to my host and set it up...takes about 3 min and within 30 min it has propagated to me...
    So on the average for me godaddy propagates in 30 min or less.... never had to wait the legal 24 to 48 hours for godaddy.

tommytx, Mar 26, 2010 IP
  17. hostwebdata

hostwebdata Peon

Best Answers:
    15 minutes to 1 hours most off the time

hostwebdata, Mar 26, 2010 IP
  18. fanofchopin

fanofchopin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mine took around 12 hours... it's rather long, but it still is tolerable.

fanofchopin, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  19. tribalad

tribalad Banned

Best Answers:
    From my experience from 1 hour to 12 hours.

tribalad, Jul 24, 2017 IP
  20. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ohh Wow still in this age godaddy takes more than 12 hours for DNS change ..I really don't understand why someone still wants to use them ??

webhost.uk.net, Jul 25, 2017 IP