1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much is a PR4 quality directory worth now?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jhnrang, Jan 12, 2008.

With the trend that is going on right now, PR4 has become the most sought after for directories now. After yesterday's update, there are hardly few PR6 and PR5 directories left on the web.

I have an eight (8) months old PR4 directory with 7 developed blogs on different niche topics. Most all top level categories and many second level categories have PR3. All the blogs also have same PR.

But there is very little revenue that the directory is generating in the way of paid submissions. ( Regular Review $15 and Featured Review $30. It became PR4 during October update and remained the same this time too.

But between October and now- I received just 2 paid submissions.:)
    It has low traffic - 845UV in Dec. and 347 in Jan so far.:( But I must confess that I have not advertised it either.

So how much is this directory along with 7 blogs worth if I decide to sell it?

I am contemplating to sell it if I get good offers to support my other projects which are niche directories. So I am just asking for opinions before I go to site-point.:D

jhnrang, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  2. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    May be around $800-$1000 according to my estimate

Freewebspace, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  3. deepraj12

deepraj12 Banned

Best Answers:
    ya 1000$ is ok for for u..!!

deepraj12, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  4. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think, $1K is not really fair on it- with so much prospect. If some-one is good - than one can really monetize it for good revenue - much much higher--may be 400--500/month. The potential is there.

jhnrang, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  5. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Depends on the revenue and how popular is the site, traffic, backlinks, design, content, editorial integrity. As a directory owner only PR and nothing above makes a directory in general not even worth 100$ for me.

I cannot comment about your directory without seeing its url. ;)

humm, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  6. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since most of the sites are sold in terms of 3X revenue & or even 6X revenue. I think around $1K will be a good deal.

Red_Virus, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  7. iPod

iPod Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think he has missed anything here. If we can get these stats, it will be lot easier to evaluate your directory, John :)

Also, I am not sure how good is this tool. But it does give good estimates as a whole. dnscoop.com. Do Try it!

iPod, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  8. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Sharat I am sure that john's directory may have all of the above. Its just a general formula that I have given for analyzing a directories cost. :)

humm, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    uttoransen and jhnrang like this.
  9. hotpop

hotpop Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on domain name(brand), design(custom) and revenue.
    Normally 10* revenue/month

hotpop, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  10. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If someone is good, any directory would have prospect / potential, i think asking $ based on what it could be is like selling air, a fairer way is what it is now and that stands at low UV and low submissions, it may be better to re build UV and submissions first to gain a higher price.

DownUnder, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  11. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yeah-Yeah-Yeah - I understand that. So I'll be doing it now and maybe--with the promotion, there will be some more visitors and revenue too.:D

By the way- gave the URL to iPod - let me see what he says after analyzation.:D

jhnrang, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  12. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    PR is what it is a useless in-accurate 3rd party rating that has no relevance to a directory

So many relevant factors come into the valuation of a directory and right down at the bottom of that list of valuation factors is the inept PR factor

A directory is an autonomous business that has to be marketed, promoted and supported 365/24/7 and when all those elements are in place it will generate ongoing consistent revenue streams

There is a factor that consistently works to produce results that is based on the revenue spent on marketing viz a vie the revenue generated we have these figures calculated with our database monitoring tools and we know exactly what is the ratio to spend v revenue to show a very good ROI

Of course as you would expect with any properly run business the revenue generated does not change one iota due to any and or/all 3rd party spurious ratings

Now the question was how much is your directory worth I have no idea without knowledge of the URL

britishguy, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    jhnrang and uttoransen like this.
  13. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I had an offer for dirsensei without revenue for some few months for 4k and I might consider it since I dont have the time right now. A lot of quality listings and link backs. But if there is someone who will be interested to maintain its editorial integrity and take care of it I might consider half.

popotalk, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  14. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    $1k is sure isn't any where near! If am guessing the directory correctly [Hint: PR4! 8 months old!!] that you are talking about then $2.5k is easily possible. But why do you want to sell that, if you just promote it a bit more then the submissions will start flowing!:)

uttoransen, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  15. SJappie

SJappie Peon

Best Answers:

How accurate is that tool?
    I got sites worth around 10.000, 35.000 and 1.500.000 according to it....?

SJappie, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  16. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol old man- are you leaving the industry?:eek:

Yes buddy, you got it right. I am also thinking of promoting it more.

However accurate that tool is, it shows the directory is valued only @ $ 5479:(

jhnrang, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately yes as I have been very busy on business and the 2008 elections here. Web design site has been sold already and I am considering passing the 3 directory to someone who will take care of it for a reasonable price.

popotalk, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  18. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it just me or am I a little late here. when was there a pr update?

As far as selling the site, you might have a little trouble because of the age of the site. 8 months is not long enough to justisfy a price tag higher than $1,000 regardless of traffic or pr imo. Nevertheless, there is always someone who is willing to buy.

banless, Jan 12, 2008 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  19. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am very disappointed to hear it my friend. But - lif must go on. As you and me take online as hobby ( both of us being engaged permanently on other profession) -- still...................
    I was here, I am here & I'll be here--in the directory industry.:D

But its never fun to loose a colleague to other green pastures.

As fr as selling your directories are concerned- lets wait. I think Google will sooner than later free us of the penalization when its happy that we are adhering to its guidelines-- and I also believe that our regular directory buyer will buy again.:D

You surely are late:mad: mate!:D

Where on earth were you yesterday when we breathlessly monitored the PR update?

Anyway- the PR update started yesterday, backlinks updated today.

Congrats to you for keeping the PR and keeping SERPs as well.

jhnrang, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  20. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really think that statement is true. The directory market had changed quite a bit over the past year and there are simply too many crappy directories cluttering up the marketplace. It hurts all directories and has hung a dark cloud over the industry. When I started out almost 3 years ago in the directory industry it was much different and with some decent promotion you could make a name for yourself but nowadays it is hard to stand out, even with an above average directory.

jg123, Jan 12, 2008 IP