1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BST changes

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Shoemoney, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There'd have to be a corporate law team available to keep track of all sites' TOS. :eek:

Karen May Jones, Dec 27, 2007 IP
    killaklown likes this.
  2. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I spend about 90% of my DP life in the B/S/T sections. Some sections are fine while other sections are pure crap. If you need any help from someone that spends a shitload of time in there let me know.

larysmith711, Dec 27, 2007 IP
  3. Scriptona

Scriptona Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it's pretty clear that digg and stumbleupon prohibit abusing the voting system on their sites. those are more than enough and cutting this abuse will help seeing freebies section has items instead of 100's of diigs and stumbles threads.

Scriptona, Dec 27, 2007 IP
  4. Namjies

Namjies Peon

Best Answers:
    Ask God to give an over-intelligent bot to do all the work. If he doesn't answer, because he never answers silly request, then work the next 25 years to developp it. Then the whole world will bow to you because you developped the ultimate forum moderation tool. Or at least, DP mods can dream they achieved that instead of the spam nightmares they do usually...

Namjies, Dec 28, 2007 IP
  5. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    mods. yep spell checkers aren't that smart yet

DomainMagnate, Dec 29, 2007 IP
    Halobitt likes this.
  6. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    Well there is only 3 or 4 things on these forums that breaks the terms of the service provider that are posted a TON.

stumbleupon - stumble exchanges
    digg - digg exchanges
    paypal - selling of paypal accounts
    ebay - selling of ebay accounts

Those wouldn't be too difficult to stop. After a lot of infractions and bans I think the users will figure out to stop posting them so it will stop being an issue.

InFloW, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  7. Scriptona

Scriptona Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes this is what I mean. payment processing sites are easy to track. we all know them and they can be summed up in "payment processing sites accounts are not allowed to be sold or exchanged"

Scriptona, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  8. ARonald

ARonald Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the first step would be to tackle the paypal/egold account sales in the BST section as rightly mentioned quite a few times above.

I did not scan through all the pages above but a few months back some members had suggested to make the BST section a paid one. I know it was squashed down back then but now it is again the right time to think about it too.

ARonald, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  9. Scriptona

Scriptona Notable Member

Best Answers:

I don't think it will be too much for a scammer to pay 10 or 20 or 30$ and get +200$ in return for things that he won't deliver :D

Scriptona, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  10. ARonald

ARonald Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh I did not look at it from that angle. Seems to me that members themselves need to develop their seventh sense (scam sense) to avoid being scammed.

A sticky with a list of common scams like money muling money exchanges should be made in the BST section so that atleast members who are not aware of these scams would be enligthened.

ARonald, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  11. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    same here, and completely agree with you

i used to like the reviews section, but don't like it anymore when i see people asking members to rewiew a newly installed blog with a free theme, or a forum, or a script they downloaded

IMO the review forum should contain only threads where members ask a review of something original, of something what they created

slayer, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  12. killaklown

killaklown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Something like this to prevent scammers over instant messenger...

One member (seller or buyer) creates a 'Transaction Verification' on digitalpoint.
    This would have:
    - Creators Username
    - The Payment Option (once verification is complete, payment info would be visible to the other member)

The one who created automatically 'signs' it with their DP username. The one who created it then gives the link to this 'Transaction Verification' to the other person. That person goes to the link and clicks a button to sign it once they verify the username is the one who is doing the deal, and not someone else trying to scam. Once signed by both seller and buyer, the one who created it verifies that the other person is who they say they are, and Completes the 'Transaction Verification'. Once completed, the buyer will have the information on where to send the payment. The seller would have the information on where the payment will be sent from.

When the transaction is complete, they can leave itrader.

Payment information (paypal, egold, moneybookers, etc) can be added to your profile BEFORE. This information CANNOT be changed unless a good reason is given to a moderator.

This will not only stop people scamming over instant messengers, but from people hacking accounts and attempting to scam.

But this would ONLY work if people actually used it. People who try to complete transactions without this could be reported to a moderator and the moderator can take appropriate action.

killaklown, Jan 5, 2008 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  13. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    Another concept would be having enough moderators to better maintain the BST sections. Right now I've reported probably 40 threads that all break the rules with only a few actually getting moved.

Also having moderators who know the rules. I bring this up because of how many threads I've reported I've noticed that there is no consistency at all with regards to topics being moved. I report 10 topics and find the 7th one gets moved while the others do not. All of them break the rules and I outline that in the report. I'd think they are handled as they come in so I get pretty confused when 1 out of 10 I report get moved while it wasn't even the first one!

InFloW, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  14. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you were wrong, or, we have not got to them yet. Some reports get handled quicker than others. We are discussing adding more mods, FYI.

We all know the rules very well thank you. We get hundreds and hundreds of reports a day. They are not handled as they come in in all cases, and, as stated above just because you think it violates a rule or needs to be moved doesn't mean that it will be.

The primary purpose of this thread is to make suggestions to improve the rules/structure of the BST forums...not to critique how they are being moderated.

GuyFromChicago, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  15. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    Well considering I've received an infraction for the same thing about the pricing in a topic. I don't think it's fair for me to receive infractions while others do not. As a result my posts which abide by the rules are a few pages in within a few hours all because of topics that break the rules.

So based on the fact 1 in every 10 I report end up being moved while they all clearly break the same rule makes me believe not everyone who handles reports deals with them the same way. So I do think it's a change that needs to be made if the same standard is not applied to every topic posted.

InFloW, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  16. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    You have no idea who gets infractions for what. You don't have to agree with or like how DP is moderated but this thread is not the place for that discussion. This thread is for suggestions about how to improve the BST forums via rules and or structure of that section of DP. Thanks.

GuyFromChicago, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  17. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    Moderators dedicated to specific BST sections maybe? Things can be cleaned up a whole lot quicker if someone is simply browsing a section a few times a day and getting rid of the junk opposed to waiting for topics to be reported.

InFloW, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  18. Blogsip

Blogsip Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to completely agree with InFloW. Moderation is important to BST, and criticizing it is a way to help improve it. If you take a few minutes to explore the sections, you will see a lot of rules broken. I don't doubt that the members don't get infractions, but I have to question if some moderators handle them differently. Some examples are some members bump their threads a lot of times, and the posts aren't deleted, members post generic replies, such as pm sent or great design in multiple threads, their posts don't get deleted, a series of threads are started by different members in the wrong section, but only a few are moved, and many more. These set a bad example for the section. Many threads are bumped to page 10 in a short time span, and some members do a monkey see money do thing, where they see others post a certain way then copy. I know the rules are there, but maybe many don't read them. It's no one's fault, but the members who don't read them. But sometimes it gets confusing because there are many who break the rules, and their mistakes are left out in the open, and not deleted, combined, announced, etc.

I know you can't completely eliminate the problem, but maybe more moderators can be assigned there from different time zones, that can help clean up the mess.

Blogsip, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  19. invisible

invisible Banned

Best Answers:
    I've seen in B/S/T section that people are selling/buying Gmail accounts which is against google's TOS!

invisible, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  20. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Report the posts, why do people want to buy/sell them anyway?

peter_anderson, Jan 12, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.