1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which SSL Certificate Authority is best?

Discussion in 'Security' started by sslshopper, Dec 23, 2007.

I'm curious to find out where you get your SSL certificates and why. The top choices include VeriSign, Thawte, Geotrust, Comodo, Entrust, DigiCert, GoDaddy, and Network Solutions.

You can check out some Certificate Authority reviews at SSLShopper.com

If you have a minute, please post your own review at SSLShopper.com for the certificate authority that you buy from so others can learn from your experience.

I personally have had a really good experience with DigiCert. If I ever need a quick and cheap, domain validated certificate, then I go to GoDaddy. They have the best prices in the market even if their certificates don't mean as much. It still provides the encryption.

Which SSL Certificate Authority do you use?

sslshopper, Dec 23, 2007 IP
  2. bturkay

bturkay Active Member

Best Answers:
    It has been one year that i am using Godaddy..In 1-2 days i will renew my certificate..Their service is good and cheap when compared to the others on the market..

Also their SSL seal is designed so good..It goes perfect with my web site :p

bturkay, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  3. Ladadadada

Ladadadada Peon

Best Answers:
    I have really only ever used one CA: GeoTrust. I found the process to be quick and reasonably easy. The only trouble I had (I didn't have access to any of the email addresses listed in whois) was easily resolved by getting someone who did have access to forward me the email when he got it.

Ladadadada, Dec 27, 2007 IP
  4. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    A lot of my friends insisted that Thatwe is the best, though price wise it seemed to be the most expensive. Any idea why is it so?

wisdomtool, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  5. Soskel

Soskel Guest

Best Answers:
    remember, if you are paying $20/yr for an ssl, you might as well not have one...

Soskel, Dec 30, 2007 IP
  6. agnivo007

agnivo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    The cheapest you can get is at namecheap : Geotrust rapidssl.

agnivo007, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  7. sslshopper

sslshopper Member

Best Answers:
    When you pay more for an SSL Certificate, you are paying for the brand. The encryption enabled by almost any certificate is the same but Thawte (and VeriSign, being the most expensive while happening to own Thawte and Geotrust) have learned that they can charge more because people want the name on their site.

That is only true if you are using it on an E-Commerce site or another site where your users don't already trust you. If you are secureing a mail server that your employees will be using, a cheap SSL certificate could be the most economical solution.

sslshopper, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  8. Pwner

Pwner Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do ppl buy ssl certificates when anyone can create one for free? I don't understand that xD

Pwner, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  9. 007c

007c Peon

Best Answers:
    Same here ,well unless it's a online webshop that is untrusted i don't see the point. Self signed certificates are as good as any. They also take like a min to make...

007c, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  10. hostingcoupon

hostingcoupon Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, everyone can assign himself a certificate free. But the point is, the root certificate of self-assigned certificates are NOT included with web browsers. So, when users navigate your https site, there will be popup dialog to let you accept the certificate or not.

Self-assigned certificate works with intra-company site, e.g email server for your employees. But no one want a popup for a commercial ecommerce site.

hostingcoupon, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  11. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Go for it, I'd be interested to see how it's done!

I use EquiFax. Not sure why, that's just the one my UK hosting company advised for our store, but haven't had much of a problem with it, except for the price:(But my hosting is expensive anyway - you get what you pay for, though. Server load is minimal, access speeds are fantastic, and it's only ever been down for an hour in 6 years, due to a blackout and some fool not enabling the power generator. Pretty good, I must say:)

Spider-Man, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  12. 007c

007c Peon

Best Answers:
    Um with openssl? check here

007c, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  13. agnivo007

agnivo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Geotrust (equifax) is one of the most well known ssl CA present in most browsers and great for commercial use.

Namecheap has nice cheap rapidssl...I use it for my hosting billing system.

agnivo007, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  14. sabrina

sabrina Active Member

Best Answers:
    Comodo is one of the best SSL Certificate Authority at present. IT support most of the browsers and thy provide the best and cheap SSL Certificates!

sabrina, Dec 5, 2012 IP
  15. Roger Pelt

Roger Pelt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Various website owners have their different requirement for SSL Certificates. There is plenty of different kind of websites on the Internet (for example: eCommerce, Real Merchant, Web Hosting, Banking & Finance etc.), and it is most important to buy/install exact ssl certificate as per website requirements.

Roger Pelt, Feb 4, 2013 IP