1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone afraid of loosing there blogger blog?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by jasonk1234, Jan 2, 2008.

I have had a blogger blog for about 1.2 years and I have put alot of work and time into it. I have almost 10000 backlinks pointed to it.
    I always worry that for some reason some day I will lose it for some reason like blogger crashes or they kick me off for some violation or something.
    Does anyone else have similiar concerns? or any ideas on the subject

jasonk1234, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  2. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is very possible, for free stuff you cannot expect any support. Better to get your own domain name at the earliest

dnk, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  3. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is something that is always possible. As a regular blogger user I do worry. I have read so many complaions from frustrated blogger who had this happened to them. So don't take it lightly.

maldives, Jan 3, 2008 IP
    Richie_Ni likes this.
  4. accentnepal

accentnepal Peon

Best Answers:
    An easy first step is to copy all your content into your own harddrive, if you have not done that already.

I know a lot of blogger pages are redirects off site, don't know how they do that.

accentnepal, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  5. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I lost a Wordpress.com site like that, before I knew better. Out of the blue, no warning.
    It sucked!

Your own domain and hosting is best...do what you want...how you want....when you want.

hmansfield, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  6. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Get your own domain and host then transfer all the data to the new site,you'll sleep well tonight.

Richie_Ni, Jan 3, 2008 IP
    Clive likes this.
  7. mizaks

mizaks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you're worrying about it, it is time to act. Copy all your posts and get your own domain.

mizaks, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  8. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Anything is possible but I do not worry. The good news is taht it is owned by Google so it will most likely not crash.

As far as all the suggestions so far, it does not fix the problem by having copies of the posts. I think the op is more worried about all the back links and PR his blog has. That can not be transferred.

allout, Jan 3, 2008 IP
    Richie_Ni and Clive like this.
  9. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Definitely the best way you could deal with this. Get your own domain name, and a hosting package, it will give you full control over the blog, and you can start moving all the content and drive traffic towards your own website.

Clive, Jan 3, 2008 IP
    allout likes this.
  10. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    It is always a risk unfortunately. That's why I'm a big fan of self hosted blogs.

Dubz, Jan 3, 2008 IP
    Clive likes this.
  11. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    For a non-developer owner it may cost him the price of having someone install a blog script for him but on the long run it will surely save a lot of needless headaches.

Clive, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  12. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Peon

Best Answers:
    How can anyone not afford hosting nowadays? I mean, really...

Shadowplay, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  13. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Yep...it's like waxing someone else's car. It will never be yours...the links, the PR, none of it.
    I started my blog on wordpress, just messing around...built up the links, and on the first update, it was a PR 4!
    It really pissed me off....I scrambled to get my own domain and hosting immediately, and luckily got it to a PR 4 again, on the next update after that.
    (2 in a row).
    But how much time did I waste?
    Now I sleep well at night, knowing that THIS IS MINE!

I can sell it, destroy it, screw it up, what ever I want. Run any program. Say what I want , etc.
    There are no T.O.S. to read, or follow.

It is what I make it, not what someone say's that I can make it.
    Worth every penny.

Lastly...contributers, link partners, and all participants and readers in general, take you a lot more seriously, when you have your own stuff....they know that you are serious, and will be around for a while.(hopefully).
    JMO

14. tushardhoot1

tushardhoot1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're never completely safe. What if you put it on your host and then someone sends something to your host saying you violated copyrights? Loads of hosts don't take the time to actually check that stuff out and they might just take down your site.

Even if you have your own server. What if the server crashes?

tushardhoot1, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  15. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    What if the world has a catastrophic black out ? Those are generally accepted risks of working on the web, and generally out of your control....but in the case of free hosted blogs, you have no control over the people that run the thing, or what new rules they make.

That is an unexpected variable, with real consequences.
    You can recover form those other things, but not from "blog disabled".

Gone is gone.
    Bottom line is, you have no rights with free hosted blogs, so doing SEO on it is like waxing someone elses car. I have been on both sides.
    JMO

16. tushardhoot1

tushardhoot1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, I think you're right.

Lol, another great reason why listening to other's opinions is important. I like above example and the current example of waxing someone's car though :)

tushardhoot1, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  17. waxingpoetic

waxingpoetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a Blogger, and for now I use the import feature at WordPress.com to back it up. Just an idea.

waxingpoetic, Jan 3, 2008 IP
    Clive likes this.
  18. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ive always had the same worry, thats why i wouldn't use blogger for anymore blogs, i still have 3 with them and still update regularly.

But now im more interested in wordpress, with domains and hosting dirt cheap i will avoid a free service.

Of course it makes nothing 100% safe, but at least if i lose anything its my own fault.

pipes, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  19. houselistedfree

houselistedfree Peon

Best Answers:
    I had the same concerns and went to a self hosting blog with wordpress, but since you have put so much time and effort into the blog I guess you have no choice but to keep it, but you might also want to start a new blog with your own hosting, so that if you blogger blog ever goes down, you will have something to fall back on.

houselistedfree, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  20. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Yea you are right. I have had a few websites but always did my blogs as blogger. I have four with good PR so I started a new one self-hosted. The last website I created ended up as PR3 after 2 months and I sold it and now it is PR5 with no other work so I am sure i can do it again.

I will keep my blogs at blogger because they provide links and a little income and are fun to play with. :)

I do not fear much because if it all crashed, that blozzz but I am still going to survive. :D

allout, Jan 4, 2008 IP