1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Future For Directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Business Services, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    Mike do you have any proof of this, I only say this because I have only heard Mr Cutts talk about paid links, not free links.

Business Services, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I remember a few DP members complaining that their free directories got penalised. Its similar to the blogs penalised for use of dofollow "Top Commenters" links in sidebars.

How does google know if payment was made? I could sell 1000 links in my directory, then offer free links. By the time google gets round to checking the submit page could say free. Would I get away with it? No. Free directories often have less editorial integrity - they allow spam, MFA, pills, spammy health sites etc. This is what google hates.

Why do you think sites like DirJournal have not been penalised? Because they are not pretending to charge a review fee, they are actually doing it. Check their latest links page and see if any spam has been approved. Has it? No. Paid directories will always survive providing they genuinely charge a review fee and dont accept spam.

mikey1090, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  3. trocobob

trocobob Banned

Best Answers:
    remember that google also allow MFA ans spammy sites ,in their Adword ,
    everyday i filter many crappy sites which should be categorised like Spam / MFA .....ect

trocobob, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  4. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    Mike I dont think Google is interested if a payment is actually made, more if the site offers a paid service.

Remember your comments are just tha, your own comments, not fact. I did ask for a few examples of free directories that have suffered a penalty, simply saying a few have is not hard facts.

Business Services, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  5. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    How do you explain blogs that were penalized?

It is not a matter of the future of directories, it is basically a matter of the web itself, there have been several blogs penalized due to the last update. Coincidence? I think not.

Also, nor do I or you have any facts to prove what we are standing by, you are obviously not satisfied with web directories and think they are not going to have a bright future, whilst my opinion is different. We'll just have to wait, time will tell.

Business Services, I respect your points and you've brought a excellent discussion, although we've had these kind of threads in the past and I can assure you web directories will remain a big part, although lots of work will be required in the coming months/years.

WatchOut, Jan 3, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  6. dsakella

dsakella Peon

Best Answers:
    I have heard this phrase many many times. But how is quality determined?
    And better yet how will google understand that the directory in question is a quality one?
    Many will say the quality of sites listed, content etc etc....
    But then again why so many real quality directories have been penalized?

I think the correct phrase would be: The directory industry is bright for directories that have to offer what is needed by webmasters.

And this is what the first post of this thread is talking about.
    Directories should definately re-define their role on the internet. It's not that bad and people shouldn't be afraid of this fact. Many kinds of businesses have changed through years.

Bottomline I think that key here is traffic. It always have been, but many webmasters have been after the easy money PR and other things and metrics like it had to offer, forgetting that the rug could be pulled under their feet any time the "owner" felt so.
    Traffic is the keyfactor. Take google itself as an example. An idea, a useful tool, then expansion to marketing ---> King of the internet (and not only).
    And this is all based on traffic.

So are there any directories that can gather some visitors? And not only webmasters....
    What can directories do to attract this audience?
    Is there anything that can be done?

I say yes there is, but as always, very few will manage to get on the evolution train and taste the benefits.

Just my opinion.
    Thank you.

dsakella, Jan 3, 2008 IP
    centime and deebee like this.
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its a massive task ahead then, probably will result in more established directories calling it a day and finding a completely different business to be in.

pipes, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Consider this question...

If we were to take PR out of the equation, how many directories would die quickly?

Would your site live or die if PR went away? Perhaps evaluating your answer to that question would be a true answer to whether or not your directory has a future. Free, paid, paid review doesn't really matter in that context; does it?

Many of you are too young to remember the early days of the Internet when Google didn't exist and Yahoo! and Alta Vista were all there was to help you find things. Even with Yahoo! and Alta Vista, it was a true challenge to find good websites despite there being no such things as MFA sites and all of the other crap that litters the Internet today. People put lists on their sites of sites that they had found via the grapevine, on their own, or were made by people they knew. With the technology to create search engines not around yet to truly index the web many of us relied on these link lists/farms as a way to find things on the Internet. Those lists evolved into the foundation of directories. The point of the lists was to share sites that had been found to have value to visitors of the initial site - PR, SERPs, SEO, and all that other stuff was irrelevant - it didn't exist yet.

Free links, paid links, paid reviews and all the rest have never been the real problem here. Why keep tap dancing around the true issue here? Create a resource, be it a directory or any other site, and you will have a bright future. Create something that has no value and your future may be less assured.

So, if you take away PR, SERPs, SEO and all the rest; would your directory be able to survive? Mine would, how about you?

YMC, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    But thats clearly never going to happen, it would be like the search engines starting all over again, so its not really a worry.

SEO's, webmasters etc never created any of those above, they were shells put in place and like always, people find ways to build on them.

Should a webmaster dumb themselves down in order to fit in with requirements?

How do you know yours would survive?

pipes, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  10. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    YMC that was a great post. Couldnt have said it better myself. Build a website with loads of unique, useful content. Thats the best advice anyone can give.

mikey1090, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So is that saying that without all of those terms above that you can do great and with them you must be kicking butt? like your unstoppable right now?

Or are you saying that PR, SERP's, SEO and the rest are actually getting in your way?

pipes, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  12. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How do you know the content is useful? :) does the traffic convert as much as required? do they perform the action or exit swiftly?

pipes, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  13. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    @YMC

interesting position, but to clarify certain things, are your directories a commercial venture or a hobby for you ?

centime, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  14. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see there are many ways a person may develop their sites, none right none wrong ( within common sense ), at the end of the day i see visitors both unique and recuring as the indicator to how well this is done in a similar way customers walk into the front door of a department store, offer a good product with service, the customers will return, and in turn tell their friends, your business grows.

The alternate offer rubbish and it will only be a matter of time before your doors close.

DownUnder, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  15. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Get it done by a pro and reviewed by others in your niche. A film premiere style website review.

mikey1090, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  16. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, I think that almost all paid directory submitters have a very clear understanding of what they are doing. They are (1) putting out their money in order to (2) get a backlink to their websites. The fact that Google's recent activities have forced paid directory owners to run for cover under the "pay for review" phrase changes nothing. The paying submitter couldn't care less what the directory owner calls the process. His/her motivation is entirely to get a good backlink, and that is why they put up their money.

Jim4767, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  17. ColorWP.com

ColorWP.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Paid directories will be death in time (or disabled from being able to alter the ranking of the websites they list in any way). I think site owners should concentrate on other more "natural" ways of link building, such as buying reviews with links inside the body from VERY relevant blogs.

ColorWP.com, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  18. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can get george lucas creating all your content but not everyone is star wars fans. ;)

Everyone in their niche believes their an expert though. :)

pipes, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  19. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just so i have this real clear, can someone explain the difference between a link in a paid directory and a link in free directory, both do the same thing and in that would bother have penalties applied if that was the case. ?

DownUnder, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  20. mysmehmood

mysmehmood Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree to you. Actually most of the people don't know it basically review fee, not the paid links. fee for time & efforts webmaster put into directory(prepare a place) for you to put your links.

hope it help.

thanks

mysmehmood, Jan 3, 2008 IP