1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do YOU believe in evolution?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by astup1didiot, Oct 29, 2007.

?

Do you believe in evolution?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2007.
  1. Yes

111 vote(s)
    75.5%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is rediculous and has never been proven by one scientists of teh scientific community. I believe in the bible and im christian but as i said time and time again, the book of genisis was not written to be interpreted figuratively but conceptually. Only extremist christians ignore the fact of carbon dating and the fact that man did not come for millions of years after the dinosaurs. If you can disprove carbon dating you will become a trillionaire just from the publicity. I once had a bible study professor who when he preached seemed like he was in a trance with his eyeballs popping out of his head. This doesnt make him any better a christian than the poor lady down the street who gave most of her side earnings to the church.

Since when has christianity been about ignoring cold hard facts??????
    Evolution as i said before proves the existence of god. What i dont believe is in darwinian evolution which says that life and order came from chaos.
    That website link u showed obviously is just a tadddddddd big biased here.
    Christianity is about truth and reason.

I have given a link that scientifically proves the concept of intelligent design on dp.please look for it.

Also killafawk, the bible isnt bs, but if not interpreted in teh right way it can seem to alot of people to be bs. Time and time again the 2 hardest parts of the bible to interpret are the book of revalation and the book of genisis. There are many reasons for this
    and if you want to know them i would suggest doing a study of them and not just spouting things without knowing about them fully:).

jesus specifically talked about interpretation of his religion in teh bible, so look for this verse and it will explain all. he even said that not everyone is qualified toi fully translate the bible on their own:).

pingpong123, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  2. sb1234

sb1234 Banned

Best Answers:
    Its biblical my friend

sb1234, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  3. proteindude

proteindude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just out of curiosity, you seem to be an atheist and YET at the same time you claim to know what a Christian should or should not do. How do you decide on what a Christian should do (or don't do)?

proteindude, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  4. killafawk

killafawk Active Member

Best Answers:
    i've read the bible, although i don't remember most of it i know some stuff about keep your enemies close or something along the lines of don't hate your enemy or what not. who knows what it says but theres things in there like that i don't know them verse for verse.

killafawk, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  5. sb1234

sb1234 Banned

Best Answers:
    What you need to understand is evidence and fact are two different things. Evidence can lead to fact, but is not a fact. A fact is a truth. A truth does not change therefore science can not be fact. So do not tell me im not listening to the facts, when in FACT. You haven't presented any. Evidence is all that is available to support evolution. Carbon dating is not solid, thats a fact. Any scientists that says carbon dating is completely accurate is a lier. And if it is not accurate, which it is not, i will not put that over the one book that is, and always has been.

You say you are a christian, well i ask you this christian. Where does it say that Genesis is not to be taken literal? It doesn't. God is not the author of confusion and would not write something that would confuse us. However now that you believe it is not true, you are confused. The lord tell us not to take or add anything that is not in his word. You have taken from the truth of Genesis, and added evolution. You my brother are wrong in your doctrine. Perhaps a deeper study and prayer will reveal that to you.

You call me an Extreme christian. Why? Because i read the bible as it was meant? Because I do not limit God? If Genesis is not to be taken literal, why bother with the genealogy?

I know you seek the truth, but if you believe in evolution. You are calling the bible untrue. And i ask you why would you do such a thing? No one has haver proven the bible to be untrue, in fact, more and more, it reveals its self to be true and accurate.

sb1234, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  6. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think hes confused ;)

astup1didiot, Dec 10, 2007 IP
  7. emilbus20

emilbus20 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats to say that the speed of light was always a constant speed.
    http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/01.24/01-stoplight.html

On the same idea if the earth was that old all the erosion from rain that washes salt from the mountains into the sea would make for some not so big mountains. Just a few things to think about.

Peace!

emilbus20, Dec 18, 2007 IP
  8. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What are you talking about?

stOx, Dec 18, 2007 IP
  9. killafawk

killafawk Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess education isn't a real big part in your history.

Most mountains on the earth are underwater and they are formed from plate techtonics. the earths crust moves and pushes land upward to form mountains, mountains are also formed from volcanoes, and erosion.

Some islands in the oceans are even tops of mountains so your argument is flawed.

killafawk, Dec 18, 2007 IP
  10. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Did you even read this article? It explains how light can be slowed down by a in labatory setting and still doesn't change the fact of normal light speed travel.

Smacks head for reviving a thread that should of stayed dead :rolleyes:

astup1didiot, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  11. tempscript

tempscript Guest

Best Answers:
    I believe in the Bible and in Evolution. The Bible was written as a collection of metaphors, when it says it took 6 days to make the earth, that could have been 6 million years...

tempscript, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  12. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    I believe we evolve over time not sure about no god. somethings can not be explained by science no matter what

rcj662, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  13. webwork

webwork Banned

Best Answers:
    What's the difference between adaption and evolution?

webwork, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  14. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Adaptation is included under the penumbra of evolution. But evolutionary theory also extends adaptation to include explanation for speciation.

northpointaiki, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  15. webwork

webwork Banned

Best Answers:
    You lost me at "penumbra"

webwork, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  16. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Look it up.:D

northpointaiki, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  17. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Dearie me. Do we have t use big words when little ones do the same job?

Adaptation is where a species "adapts" to it's environment. For example, amphibians can adapt to living in water or living on land.

Evolution is where a species "evolves" into another species. For example, a porpoise into a giraffe, a tortoise into a hare or a monkey into a human.

Please note: this is just an example so please don't go off yer rockers about the "examples" I used. It's just to get the basic ideas for him/her/it. :D

Cheap SEO Services, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  18. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    If you like the rhythm of "penumbra," then, yes. I like the way it rolls off the tongue over the cumbersome "general classification." And there was a time when such words weren't considered "big," nor were they considered tripping points - there was a time when language itself conveyed pleasure. Consider me an atavistic proselyte for language as meaning, rich in metaphor and resonances, and not merely as utility's stark tool. ;)

19. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Actually, by the way, Col, your characterization of evolution isn't quite right. Evolution is a change of a given gene expression in a population from generation to generation. As such, evolutionary theory captures adaptation, as well as speciation.

20. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you lok at genisis it is not written in the same sense of teh word at all as opposed to other parts of the bible. Clearly it was written in a more symbolic way. Now i ask again, if you can prove that the eartrh is not older than 6000 years , and you can disprove carbon dating then im wrong, but to date not one scientist can prove it and would clearly laugh at anyone that does.

pingpong123, Jan 1, 2008 IP