1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ the most important Link?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by batman4444, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Sabbir

Sabbir Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi , i am also heard about the DMOZ. But i don't know why DMOZ is taking too much time to index the site www.orderlanyards.com .

sorry i can't use acnhor right now.

regards

Sabbir, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How much time did you spend over Christmas in voluntary work? Because many of those "selfish" editors continued to give up their spare time, for which they receive no payment, just accusations from people like you, to actually try and get some sites listed. Not just submitted sites but sites they went and looked for.

When you manage to get accepted and give up hours of your time working on the directory, then perhaps you will be qualified to talk about "selfish" editors, but I bet you would have changed your tune.

Anonymously, Dec 29, 2007 IP
  3. mikegm

mikegm Peon

Best Answers:
    Come on, of course I among a lot of people appreciate the work of volunteers, there's no question about that. But there are selfish editors, too. I don't know why you take this personally - the reason for DMOZ links not being appreciated as they were (if that's true) is because there are more low quality listings. Search engines lose their trust when they see crappy listings, simple as that.

And I don't think those selfish editors spent any time unless they added some of their own little websites. DMOZ is a great directory (with great editors), but it's crazy to say you can't find any biased/selfish listings.

mikegm, Dec 30, 2007 IP
  4. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    There is an abuse button if you think you have found some.

Anonymously, Dec 30, 2007 IP
  5. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what you mean by "low quality listings", but you could report those over at the Resource Zone, there's a thread dedicated to giving us a headsup about them, but, I think what you consider low quality might be different than what the Directory considers low quality.

Outsiders tend to judge a site by the quality of it's design, the expertise the site owner has about the topic, the quality of the entity itself, and believe it or not, even the fact that it's a competitor who was listed ahead of them, ;).

Selfish editors? Good grief, how many undeclared sites could an editor possibly have that they would spend their free time adding? :D Even one undeclared site would be cause for dismissal. I, myself, have no sites any more, and I'm not aflliated with any. At one time I did have two sites, but, they were merely one of many tools that I used in my real world business, and I found them to be unneccessary so I dumped them.

I'm still an editor though, so how do you figure that one? :)

crowbar, Dec 30, 2007 IP
  6. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    I along with most editors take actual abuse personally, because abusive editors spit in the face of all the other editors who have worked to maintain the directory as a reliable resource. Its not that we take the allegations of abuse or those reporting it personally, at least for me its the actually abusive edits and the cases of unfounded/unproved/fraudulent allegations of abuse that I take personally. Someone alleging abuse and following it up with a completed report supplying the evidence that leads them to conclude abuse, is not only welcome but a very appreciated rarity.

I have dealt with a few allegations of abuse and have had the unfortunate task of being involved in removing actual abusers. The vast majority of actual abuse reports though are simply not true abuse. Most of them are from the misguided opinion that because the reporters site hasn't been listed, the resident editor must be a competitor - which is false in almost all the cases I investigated. A large portion of abusers are caught by regular editors filing abuse reports, not by public reports of abuse. Any editor from the one joined yesterday to the one who joined in 1998 can see the editing history and actions by any other editor no matter what their permission level.

I can't speak for the importance of a dmoz link prior to my joining the directory but since I joined it appears to me that the importance of a dmoz link is nor more so than any one other quality link. I don't know of any persons whom I would consider "in the know" on that subject, who would consider it anymore important than another quality link. Certainly there are many well ranking sites not in DMOZ and many listed sites that are not at all well ranked.
    If the importance of a link in DMOZ has changed for the worse in recent years, I would suspect that its because SE's have realized the uselessness of the multitude of DMOZ clone directories and have started discounting them as it pertains to their rankings. That is of course my uneducated guess though. I have no knowledge or interest in SERPs or PR, so take it for what ever little its worth.

If an editor is only supremely self-interested and only adding their or their clients sites they are abusers. Usually they stand out very quickly and are swiftly dealt with accordingly. Depending on the severity of the self-interest and the damage being done the actions will range from a serious warning to removal. If you have evidence that abuse is occurring and believe its gone unnoticed by all means file an abuse report. We actually really appreciate it when someone helps us uncover and remove abuse/abusers.

shadow575, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  7. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How's Annie lately. :p For Your Eyes Only

popotalk, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  8. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Seemed fine when I chatted with her on Friday. I am sure she is more than able to post here when she feels compelled to, rather than have you drop her name whenever it suits your purposes. She knows how to reach me and when I am available, and she knows I am always happy to chat with her.

shadow575, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  9. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good for you and it's nice to know that some have souls at DMOZ. :p

popotalk, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  10. attick

attick Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder how importand ODP really is. I've been submitting a site to ODP for 6 years now. Nothing. Now when I submit the typed code won't go through. Why would any of the engines depend on anything from ODP with the horror stories on getting a site indexed.
    Any ideas? http://www.pedalcarplus.com

attick, Dec 31, 2007 IP
  11. kahless.k

kahless.k Peon

Best Answers:
    I had submitted link to DMOZ directory several times (few months apart), yet site hasn't appeared on the list :(

Category has no more than 40 links, and it needs an editor. Last update was over a month ago. Is there any way (other than to become an editor) to speed things up? It seems some editors don't take their responsibilities to serious (I'm volunteer too, and I do the job in time).

kahless.k, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried prayer?

Though, why not become an editor? it does not take all that much time, as you could add in a site a week, or even just a site a month...heck, you could add in a site once every three months. Though, if you are not willing to give it a try, is it any wonder that others are not? It only stands to reason that the wait time is due to the number of submitters that are unwilling to help out them self, but still expect a listing.
    Q

Qryztufre, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Good job you got yours in during the very short time you were an editor, eh Q?:rolleyes:

Anonymously, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  14. Jaundice

Jaundice Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know, I think folks inside the ODP family think it is easy for us on the outside to communicate with them. Resource Zone? Abuse buttons? When were these things made available? Where are they located?

For those of us on the outside, it's a matter of submitting a site, then waiting months, and not resubmitting because supposedly that will cause some type of spam alert or something. All we know is that we get nothing approaching any type of service, no way to communicate, and categories full of old and sometimes not even working sites anymore.

Now, on the other hand, I do realize it is a volunteer activity, and I appreciate the efforts of people who actually take the job of building a directory seriously. However, there are some bad apples in the barrel, and it does color the views of those that are unfortunate enough to run into them.

Jaundice, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  15. Jaundice

Jaundice Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you ever tried to apply to become an editor?

Jaundice, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I was an editor. I quit because a fellow editor was fired unjustly, but I'll not go into that here...

Are you trying to say that the little work I did do was not up to standard? Or that maybe I did something against the rules or acted any differently then that of the founding members? Sorry, but I only got one listing, not 10k listings. So if you'd like to point the finger at me that is fine, but once you are done go point it at Skrenta. If you are not willing to do that, then please, by all means, stop pointing it at me.

I cleared my queue, added additional sites, removed broken links, removed excessive and un-needed bloating on descriptions, yet some how because my own site was added I did something bad... yet I added ONE site that I listed in my affiliations and somehow I've done something bad.

I'm open and honest about the matter though you seem to bring it up time & time & time & time again. Why is that? Mind pointing out what it was that I actually did wrong? Maybe which ODP rule I broke? If you can't then why do you bother bringing up the fact that it's perfectly fine to follow the examples of the ODP staff by listing my own site.

Qryztufre, Jan 1, 2008 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Because you should read your own post, when you are asking if someone had thought of becoming and editor and then have the gall to say

" Though, if you are not willing to give it a try, is it any wonder that others are not? It only stands to reason that the wait time is due to the number of submitters that are unwilling to help out them self, but still expect a listing."

Now I ask does that sound like someone who listed their own site then ran away or perhaps its what you are recommending?

18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If you look at the directory, you know where it is and don't want a link? Then you will see at the top of each page "report abuse/spam" and as you see editors frequent these forums. You would be amazed at how much some posts do affect what happens inside!
    You list any sites that do not work here and I can assure you they won't be listed long, you can also fill out an update form (link again on the top of the category page) if you want to help with broken links. And we don't offer any service to webmasters, we do try our best to offer the largest human edited directory to surfers so the internet is categorized for them. I have to say many editors would like to turn off the submissions and have only sites that editors find, but I am glad to have the public and webmasters suggesting (note that word) sites that might be of interest to us. We do always retain the right not to list any site.

yes there are, but am glad to say only a small minority, and we do have systems in place to try and detect them we also are glad of the public's help by reporting any editor they suspect of abuse, see above for location of the button. But, from what our meta community says (they deal with that, I'm not far enough up the tree to do it) most reports from the public are unfounded and come from webmasters whose site is not listed accusing the editor of abuse.

Lastly you can always seek to become an editor. Crowbar has a thread running with a lot of detail if you are interested.

19. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    If that category is located in World/Hrvatski it will never get listed because tutuolaf is gone and nobody is covering entire Croatian category any longer and no editall or meta understands Croatian so they can't edit there.

There are few editors in World/Hrvatski subcategories left but I doubt they are too active.

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  20. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Only problem is that system is flawed beyond repair, most people when they find bad apple will cut out the rotten part and eat the rest, DMOZ system works like some spoiled brat for which everything has to be perfect and even if apple is fine to eat it, he will throw it into the trash just because he doesn't like - no particular reason need or revealed. :p

So at the same time you have DMOZ asking for new editors and at the same time removing valuable editors without even attempting to solve problem in order to keep them, as if there is two DMOZ's working against each other with having little idea what the other one is doing. :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 1, 2008 IP