1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Avoiding a ban

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Edman22, Dec 15, 2007.

Hi, I'm new to adsense and I've just started a few sites. I haven't applied for an account yet but I wanted to ask a few questions. One thing that worries me about Adsense is that some people on the boards claim to have gotten banned without having done anything wrong. Now, if we assume they are not lying, and they that did in fact read the TOS and followed the guidelines why would google ban them? I see some threads talk about other people click bombing their site. Isn't there some sort of protection against this? Is there something you can do to make sure that a person cannot attack your site's ads by constantly clicking on them?

I ask this because it seems like there has to be. There has to be some sort of protection from competitors, because otherwise what's to stop anyone from just going to other's sites and clicking away? Right....?

Edman22, Dec 15, 2007 IP
    LadyHoldem likes this.
  2. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They just don't follow the rules, hence why, adsense bans them.

ForgottenCreature, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  3. Computerized

Computerized Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most people who complain that they were "banned for no reason" are in fact lying. They must have done something against the TOS for Google to have banned them.

Computerized, Dec 15, 2007 IP
    LadyHoldem likes this.
  4. kyrogenic

kyrogenic Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought other people not connected to you could say click bomb you also? ForgottenCreature, are you saying everyone who gets banned did something wrong?

kyrogenic, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  5. Lonesight

Lonesight Banned

Best Answers:
    Everyone who gets banned gets banned for a reason, google does not just go on random banning.

Lonesight, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  6. mizaks

mizaks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    While the banning may not be random, their reasons may not be so great! :D

mizaks, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  7. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I agree with that. Google knows a whole lot more then people think. Out of all bans I have seen posted I have only see one reversed by Google. That was a DP member YSF1...sorry can't find the thread. It's the only time I have ever heard of Google saying "whoops".

Google bans are almost always justified, but sometimes mistakes are honest.

H

Homer, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  8. Edman22

Edman22 Peon

Best Answers:
    So does that mean that if one were to follow their rules, but get mass clicks from somebody they don't know at all, that google wouldn't ban them...or that they would reverse the ban? I know I'm being paranoid but to me following rules are easy, but I can't control what other people do. The only things I can do are to not click my own ads, not share my site with friends or family, and follow their rules of advertising.

Edman22, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  9. stackman

stackman Peon

Best Answers:
    Right, don't brag to your family and friends about how much money you can make with Adsense if only more people would click on the ads. They'll take the hint and try to help you out, not knowing they are getting you banned.

stackman, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  10. Edman22

Edman22 Peon

Best Answers:
    How can you prove that you had nothing to do with it if somebody you don't know just starts clicking on your ads for whatever reason (competitiveness, jealousy, etc)?

Edman22, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  11. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Google has various automated systems in place to detect click-bombing. These systems should normally be able to detect it and then disregard the clicks. So you might see loads of clicks, but no earnings for those clicks.

A year ago I had a situation where someone tried to click bomb me. I saw a very large amount of clicks with only a few pageviews for that specific channel. I e-mailed Adsense support and they replied with:

So from that you should be pretty safe with regards to click bombing attempts. As long as you follow the ToS and Program policies you should be safe... the only way you'll be able to see if Adsense works for you is to use it. Don't let fear of a possible ban prevent you from the infinite amount of revenue you could generate!

Crusader, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  12. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    It's good that you are worried about getting banned before signing up. A lot of people think they can get away with the things do they. You'll have MANY members on the forum say they got banned for no reason, but if you look at their sites you'll know why. People like to take risks and do border-lined TOS crap. Such as labeling ads as "Links" and not "Sponsored Links." Something that small, which I bet the average user visiting your site doesn't even notice, might get your AdSense account banned.

Others create user submitted content and don't monitor what gets submitted to the site. If someone posts adult content, you get the ban from AdSense since it's your site. Others create sites with nudity/adult content--even though THEY don't think it's adult content--and get banned. It's not what YOU think, it's what Google approves of.

Just follow the TOS and you should be fine.

Fka200, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  13. LadyHoldem

LadyHoldem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

All the people in prison are innocent too, yet somehow a whole big bunch of us have managed to stay out.

I always wanna believe the little guy, but whenever I email Google, or click my own add by mistake, or need a bit of help, question a decision.. etc.. Google is always so darn helpful!

I think even here history is likely taken into account.. if you have 2 years with google, making them a profit.. and all of a sudden 4 IPs start blowin up your site with clicks...

I don't know, but it seems like G's smarter than that.. If not, they should be.

LadyHoldem, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  14. Edman22

Edman22 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I've been wondering another thing though, what if you visit your site a lot? Is this okay, or do I need to install an ad blocking software for when I visit my own pages?

Edman22, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  15. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats totally not right, ok a lot of people which say they got banned for nothing is lying, but i was not when i got banned you can not just say that everyone that gets banned has done something wrong.

Will.

willyboy104, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  16. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about it. Visit your site as much as you want, just don't click your ads.

Fka200, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  17. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Absolutely true, IMO. In the same breath a Leopard never changes their spots.

H

Homer, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  18. LadyHoldem

LadyHoldem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I am surely my sites most frequent visitor. Several [hundred :p] visits daily, it's irrelevant, and likely good for typo and grammar error detections :)

LadyHoldem, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  19. baumann93

baumann93 Peon

Best Answers:
    If this is the case, then you will have to install code that would not show ads when you visit your sites as Google would consider this as "inflating ad impressions" and will not like it.

baumann93, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  20. Meth_

Meth_ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    google always has a reason to ban people
    I think most of its bans are justified
    play by the books, and if you spot any unusual clicks on your account; report them.
    you'll be fine then

Meth_, Dec 20, 2007 IP