1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mike Huckabee Campaign Updates

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by GTech, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarRome

MarRome Peon

Best Answers:
    He has a degree in religion. And 46 hours of masters work towards the theology degree. So to state that he has a theology based degree is misrepresenting the facts.

MarRome, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  2. Rub3X

Rub3X Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So when you discredit Paul for a small percentage of his supporters being KKK members you're really just being hypocritical? When you mock the number of supporters and use that to discredit him are you not being hypocritical?

Rub3X, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  3. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not really...it all depends on where you get a degree from...many institutions debate the title (pubilc institutions usually have "religion" degrees, while private tend to offer "theologically based"...but it all depends, call up his alma mater and talk to them.

d16man, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  4. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Huckabee thinks bush is wrong on foregin policy.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316958,00.html?sPage=fnc.politics/youdecide2008
    only thing i found in foxnews

pizzaman, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  5. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    A degree in "Biblical Studies" is considered a "theology" based degree.

Who claims it's a small percentage of his supporters? Let's see, 5% national support. Massive support from stormfront and other white supremacist groups. Anti-semites, anarchists, "progressive liberals," "troofers and other sundry conspiracy nuts". Take away all those "fringe" groups and how much of that 5% is left?

Which one do you belong to, Rub3x?

I like a lot of what Huckabee believes and offers. Sadly, we can never find a candidate we agree with 100%. I believe we all can overlook some things in our candidate. Ron Paul supporters overlook their candidates racist background, the fact that he's been very unpredictable on immigration voting, the fact that he's given credence to 9/11 "troofers", the fact that he doesn't care about honor for our soldiers, the fact that he wants to dismantle America. So there's no question that some will overlook quite a lot of things.

I was taken back by Huckabee's comments. Mitt Romney is right on this one. Very troubling.

GTech, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  6. omgitsfletch

omgitsfletch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love the honor for our soldiers bit, GTech. They give him the most money. He always votes for increased military benefits for veterans. A lot of his new commercials are from veterans expressing their support for Paul. Paul doesn't just work for the ones across the world with the guns right now, he works tirelessly for the ones at home who are done fighting. Look into it a bit more, you might be surprised.

http://www.antiwar.com/paul/?articleid=5451

omgitsfletch, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  7. GTech

Best Answers:
    Apparently you are not good with numbers. Let's review:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2007/10/the_fantasy_of_ron_pauls_milit.asp

GTech, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  8. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Huckabee’s Breakdown in Communications
    http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/14/huckabees-breakdown-in-communications/

I love the last line. It's crazy when a campaign starts to take off, and all of a sudden, 3 phones and 10 staff aren't enough. I know of another campaign that had a daily backlog of 4,000 emails for weeks.

It's a good problem to have.

guerilla, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  9. MarRome

MarRome Peon

Best Answers:
    But he doesn't have a degree in "Biblical Studies", he has a bachelor of arts degree in religion. They are not the same, not even close.

Huckabee only spent a year in seminary.

It just seems strange that a "preacher" running a religious-right campaign for president to show off a theology degree that doesn't exist?

MarRome, Dec 16, 2007 IP
    GTech likes this.
  10. omgitsfletch

Best Answers:
    I hate Huckabee as much as the next guy, but I don't see the issue with his degree. Is there that big of a difference between a theology degree and a BA in religion? I think my former English teacher had an english degree and double majored with a degree in theology, does that not count? I'm just not seeing the issue here, I suppose.

omgitsfletch, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Huckabee appears to still be kicking ass ATM...

Seems that the momentum has no signs of a slow down so far..

Mia, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  12. omgitsfletch

Best Answers:
    So your story makes blind speculation that it doesn't know if the military donors are active servicemen, and just decides they probably are not? Wonderful. I'm still going with the FEC reports, which tell me that in Q3 Paul brought in about double from military employed citizens than any other candidate. I don't know if they are active or not, you don't know if they are active or not, nor does anyone else. The fact that the average donation is $500 means nothing. On my Facebook RP group many of the members have maxed out at $2300, and we are talking about college kids or recently graduated students. All I know is that we have more military donations than anyone else.

omgitsfletch, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  13. GTech

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you didn't note the 72 year old active duty serviceman they interviewed? Are you suggesting the Chaplain was blind?

Wouldn't that make your comments a bit disingenuous? Shouldn't I expect that, from a ron paul supporter trying to flaunt something that just isn't true?

Yep, 92 military personnel out of 2.2 million support ron paul. Would you like a calculator to do the math?

GTech, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  14. omgitsfletch

Best Answers:
    I saw the mention of the 72 year old chaplain. The plural of anecdote is not data though, and it's blind speculation to use one phone call and extrapolate that out to eliminate every other RP military donor as possibly being an active serviceman.

My point is that the way the FEC collects employer data is weak, and doesn't really provide for making a distinction between active duty military and retired veterans. Occam's Razor tells us that unless you have some hard evidence that a disproportionate percentage of Paul's military supporters are veterans and not active (hint: blind speculation does not count), that because Paul has almost double most other candidates in donations, he still probably has most support from active military men, if there were ever a way to actually figure that out.

Overall though, I conceded a draw in that I cannot say for sure whether he's got the most from active military, just as I would hope (again, unless you actually bring some evidence to the table other than one phone call) you would concede a draw in that you cannot prove he does not. That's why it's best to stick with hard facts, in this case being "Ron Paul has more support from members of the military than any other candidate". Anything more in either direction is speculation at best and disingenuous to present as fact.

15. GTech

Best Answers:
    fletch, given how unethical I've seen rp supporters can be, I wouldn't be surprised if when some of them made donations, they simply put down military, just so they could fictitiously show that he has more support than he does.

Anyone can/could do that. I believe the numbers show what the numbers show. Using very simple math, at best, there are less than 100 military supporters that have donated (at the time those last numbers were available) out of 2.2 million. I don't know what you know about the military, but $500 is almost half month's pay for many after taxes for lower enlisted. I know, my son is in the Air Force, I'm a signatory on his account, and have actually paid some of his bills from his account during training.

GTech, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  16. omgitsfletch

Best Answers:
    Well if this is where the conversation has degraded to, I see no reason to continue. My point is that evidence points to the contrary, your point is that RP supporters are cheats, liars, and generally unethical so its probably doctored and not really true. So far I've got the FEC on my side, and you've got a gut feeling. We aren't going to convince each other so I'm not going to debate any longer. I'm going to watch the ticker on Paul's site spin like a top though.

17. Rub3X

Rub3X Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh so when it comes to Ron Paul supporters are relevant. You're a complete hypocrite.

Rub3X, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  18. GTech

Best Answers:
    Remind me to add you to my Christmas list. Obviously you need a dictionary.

How much of that 5% remains, Rub3x? Which group do you fall into?

Fletch, you don't have the FEC on your side. Kind of funny though. What you need, is the military, and clearly that is not the case. That was my point. 100 out of 2.2 million (not discounting those that are not active duty, as demonstrated).

Use the calculator. Do the math.

GTech, Dec 17, 2007 IP
  19. omgitsfletch

Best Answers:
    My point is not to contend that he has very limited donations from the overall massive size of our military. My point is that even for that miniscule size, the other candidates draw even less. It's not a significant number by any means, but I'm talking relative to the rest of the pack, and in that instance, Paul is destroying everyone else.

20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I wonder how many of those 92 are phony soldiers.:eek:

Mia, Dec 17, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.