1. Quickly find sites and domains for sale in the marketplace based on criteria that interests you.

Enter Marketplace
  2. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Sell A Website

Discussion in 'Sites' started by Tulumbo, Dec 13, 2007.

When you sell a website how do you transfer the website and its contents to another person. Also does the buyer generally pay before the transfer is made? Or is it 50% up from and %50 after. What is the industry standard? I am a newbie and don't really know much about this...

Thanks for any information or experience you can share with me.

Regards,
    Curtis

Tulumbo, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  2. oTourneysDOTcom

oTourneysDOTcom Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Just read the sticky...

oTourneysDOTcom, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  3. Tulumbo

Tulumbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    the sticky does not contain this information...

Tulumbo, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  4. adimond

adimond Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    up to you really - Buyer normaly pays all and then you send files

adimond, Dec 13, 2007 IP
    Tulumbo likes this.
  5. Tulumbo

Tulumbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    how would you normally send the actual website files??
    just an email attachment?

Tulumbo, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  6. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Depends on the situation I guess...

If the buyer is new to DP, I wouldn't send anything (domain or files) until I received 100% of the payment. If he/she has NO itrader has a buyer, I wouldn't let him/her pay without going through escrow.com (if the amount is in the $xxx range being talked about)

If the seller is new to DP, and the buyer is a older member... I wouldn't pay unless I received the files/domain etc, I have been scammed to much in my life to make that mistake.

You can just email he/she the files, or give them the option of you uploading it for them free/paid to their own servers.

FanAddict, Dec 13, 2007 IP
    Tulumbo likes this.
  7. sellerscentral

sellerscentral Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    can't agree more!
    1)Transefer the domain name.
    2)If you have the site up on ur server just make a copy and zip it then send the files over via email or give FTP details to buyer and let him handle it.

3) Don't spend the money you earned. Invest 50%

sellerscentral, Dec 13, 2007 IP
    Tulumbo likes this.
  8. akel

akel Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    FanAddict

sometime after doing this all still you will get cheated :), its business u have to trust people otherwise u cant do business :), study well the buyer before going with the transactions..

akel, Dec 13, 2007 IP
    Tulumbo likes this.
  9. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Of course, there's always ways to get cheated.
    What I said will HELP you not to, but it's not 100%.

Trusting people isn't something i'm willing to do, there's too many people on DP nowadays out for a quick buck (or sometimes a quick hundred).
    DO NOT just trust people based on instinct.

FanAddict, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  10. tkilgore

tkilgore Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    The seller has the ability to do what they feel is best and most on the this forum are pro's so they handle it very well.

Again just form what I have seen and I have bought a few items as my Itrader shows.. :)

tkilgore, Dec 13, 2007 IP
    Tulumbo likes this.
  11. wragge11

wragge11 Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You can either give the Buyer the FTP details, cPanel login's or upload all the files into a ZIP file for them to download!

wragge11, Dec 13, 2007 IP
    Tulumbo likes this.
  12. nino2007

nino2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    How do i know before all, that the the "seller" is the owner of the site?besides that iTrader count which i trust it.I am also a newbie.

nino2007, Dec 13, 2007 IP
    Tulumbo likes this.
  13. AvarianParakeet

AvarianParakeet Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    The seller will push the domain name to you. If they aren't the owner than they would have to hack into the other person's domain provider, hack their server, and discretely sell the website. Not too likely.

The other tip for chargeback protection I've heard, is that if you're dealing with a new or untrustworthy buyer, you just arrange for the domain name to be transfered after the chargeback period is up. They get the money but you hold the last card.

AvarianParakeet, Dec 13, 2007 IP
    Tulumbo likes this.
  14. submitmaster

submitmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    its pretty simple, you just need to log into your domain manager, and everything is done through there. e.g godaddy had a way to push the domain, so you just provide the other persons email and you go back and forth through emails.

submitmaster, Dec 13, 2007 IP
    Tulumbo likes this.
  15. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    That always makes me laugh...

While itrader obviously has a good premise behind it, it's flawed. Just like life at times.

I bought from someone one here who had some itrader points, and they still ripped me off on their loan. So take it for what it's worth.

I have NO itrader, but in the past 6 months alone I have bought and sold probably a 100 sites. That's right. Almost $20k worth (content deals as well as larger established sites, plus a ton of small one's).

I've been in this business 10 years now. Regardless of some score, or point system.

Does everyone? Nope. I had a gent yesterday in face who wanted to buy a site and wanted to do the escrow.com thing. Which again, has a good premise, the buyer gets to look at the site, and make sure he likes it or legit whatever, and then clear the cash.

However,.. I provide log in's, stats, and so forth (when I have them) for my sites. People can see their referrals and whatever they like. When stats, or ad copy exists I give them everything. I am not willing to wait 10 days for my cash. So for me, I refuse to do escrow.com. The buyer yesterday lost out. He bid more than next highest ($1), but I took a lower bid because the other person was going to pay me by my preference.

The itrader thing is a guide, like your research, common sense, past history, etc. Little more. Some put a lot of value on it, and that's fine. However they prefer to pull the trigger.

Myself, I take the WHOLE picture into account when making a decision. What else they own, and how they are making their money.... membership, adsense, small sites, forums, etc. I am not as likely to trust a small fry as someone with revenue site.

Does it backfire? Yeah. Just like everyone else's method. My ripped off ratio is something like 97/100. Which is pretty good all things considered.

As for how you deliver, that's up to you. For me, website or content, you are getting the domain last. You can do bulk payment, or you can break it up depending on the size of the deal. But you WILL put some money down before I send you anything. You WILL send more money at the half way point. And before you get the domain, I will be paid in full.

For most sites, the domain is one of the most important parts. So you can get the site, the content, the whatever. But the domain is what you need most.

I've heard plenty talk in absolutism about escrow, and their 10 day, and that's how they do business. That's fine. But being successful in business, and online, is the ability to walk away.

I go over and above on the delivery of sites. Making sure to stay on until things are working good, and helping people. But I am not going to wait on my money while you have the site, and domain and are 'test driving it' for 10 days.

Nor would I expect you to when I buy bigger money sites. However, before we ever get to that point. I expect passwords to members areas, admin, screenshots for however many months I request, etc. If all that is delivered, I have no reason to think you are a fraud.

2 cents.

Barefootsies, Dec 13, 2007 IP
    Tulumbo likes this.
  16. Tulumbo

Tulumbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    thanks for all the great info
    +rep to all who contributed

Tulumbo, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  17. intoex

intoex Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    In general you are right? Thank you for your work!

intoex, Dec 16, 2007 IP
  18. nino2007

nino2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Yesss but they want the money in before the transaction, so i don't really know if he's the owner until I pay and receive or get scammed..What do you say?

nino2007, Mar 19, 2008 IP