1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adbrite has spywares ???

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by thedarkknight, Dec 12, 2007.

Hi,
    I have been using adbrite for a long time and it's really good. But for the past one week i have been getting lots of complains from my site users that they are being asked to download exe's automatically on redirect ads (thats what the users are callin the full page ads) also many have complained that their antivirus/security programs detect trojan threats when the ads on my site load. This is very disappointing and can completely ruin the reputation of any website !

I have turned off autoapprove on all zones and am now manually approving ads.. Can experienced adbrite users tell when which ads cause majority of theses problems so that i can disable them ?

thedarkknight, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    slava likes this.
  2. SuperBlog

SuperBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never used Adbrite before, but always thought they were a pretty safe and legit company. Are you sure Adbrite is where the trojans and viruses are coming from?

Anyway, you're worried about the reputation of your site - if you are, then I'd remove those full page ads. Those only p*ss off your readers and personally, if any site has full page ads I will NEVER visit it again - those things are not worth it.

SuperBlog, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    slava likes this.
  3. procrastinator

procrastinator Peon

Best Answers:
    Adbrite actually run any ads , even some really adult ones even with the mild filter on. I would be really wary of adbrite if i was you.

procrastinator, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    slava likes this.
  4. zodiac

zodiac Peon

Best Answers:
    this is nothing new.i have contacted them and they don't feel like do nothing.
    it is the 3'rd party ads.
    you can have it on auto approve,but reject 3'rd party ads and that will help a lot.

all other image ads have to be appoved by adbrite and are hosted on adbrites server,so they're safe.

zodiac, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    slava likes this.
  5. StarSoheil

StarSoheil Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, I think that if you disable the full page ads so your problem will be resolve. ;)

StarSoheil, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    slava likes this.
  6. thedarkknight

thedarkknight Peon

Best Answers:
    i have disabled all full page ads & third party ads... There is a significant drop in revenue, but i don't mind that since site reputation is more important. Anyway, i have send them an email & am going to monitor the site for the next 48hours to check if these changes help...

Now i have to go convince all users that i was not trying to infect them:eek:

7. Giga

Giga Peon

Best Answers:
    I will disable full page ads from now ;)

Giga, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    slava likes this.
  8. thewolf32

thewolf32 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can mannually approve or reject ads on AdBrite.

Just reject any ad that isn't related to your content or that may look a bit suspiciuos. Just try going to the ad's page to check if it has spyware, and reject it.

When you fint the ad page, report it to AdBrite support, they are great.

thewolf32, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    slava likes this.
  9. whooped

whooped Peon

Best Answers:
    I doubt that AdBrite is doing this deliberately. A similar thing happened a few months ago on the Right Media Exchange- a sneaky "advertiser" was using multiple layers on the ads and taking advantage of a security hole in IE to spread trojans.

I think AdBrite would want to hear about something like this.

whooped, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  10. brainet

brainet Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think only full page ads can cause this kind of problem. because it opens another sites, and who knows maybe that other sites have it.

although i still think that its adbrite fault, because, they have to selective in accepting full page ads

brainet, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    slava likes this.
  11. SuperBlog

SuperBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, is seriously did not know that Adbrite is this flawed. If I were you, I would do what someone above suggested and make sure you can moderate your ads, and reject any of the ones you don't want shown on your site. That should help solve the problem. Or, if possible, stop using Adbrite completely - but I'm not sure if this an option you'd want to take. If you can though, try to find any alternatives to it.

SuperBlog, Dec 12, 2007 IP
  12. thedarkknight

thedarkknight Peon

Best Answers:
    Adbrite support replied promptly (adbrite is great :) ) They have asked me to send a screenshot & links of the ads causing the problem and that they will look into it.

13. wqasdeollkf

wqasdeollkf Peon

Best Answers:
    AdBrite support is Rock !

wqasdeollkf, Dec 12, 2007 IP
    slava likes this.
  14. User_Online

User_Online Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is not the first time. I posted about this like six months ago. It came from a yield manager network (no not cpx). Had the same problem with vizi and admedium. Amazes me this stuff is still around.

User_Online, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  15. n-james

n-james Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Adbrite runs 3rd party ads which can sometimes contain spyware..contact support if they are showing up on your site and they will fix it :)

n-james, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  16. zodiac

zodiac Peon

Best Answers:
    we already know that :rolleyes:, and no they wont.
    many other networks have 3rd party ads.it's not just an adbrite problem,it's just 3rd party ads will show more on adbrite.

zodiac, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  17. pumpkinflirt

pumpkinflirt Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm new to this whole thing so its good to hear about these things and how to possibly avoid them. It sounds like third party ads are a big problem.

pumpkinflirt, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  18. User_Online

User_Online Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its the crappier (yes, its possible) yield manager networks like the ones I had this problem with listed above. If you stay away from them, maybe suggest to Adbrite too, you should ok. With the Google malware penalization within their search results, being caught with this could be a death sentence, in terms of Google (and AOL, Myspace) traffic.

User_Online, Dec 13, 2007 IP
  19. massivepunker

massivepunker Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not like adbrite as when I used it, They have put tons of pop ups on my web site with their ads, It did show up in my antivirus at one point also.

I stay away from adbrite now days, more with bidvertiser and good ole google adsense

massivepunker, Dec 14, 2007 IP