1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Listing | Ready to pay!

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by ronaldmentalos, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'll consult for free ;)
    1. Make sure your blog is established (6 months at least)
    2. Read the criteria guidelines of the directory
    3. Make sure your blog/site fits into that.
    4. Find the best category for your blog/site
    5. Read the category description
    6. Skim several of the listed sites
    7. Make sure your blog/site truly fits within both description and listed sites
    8. Read the guidelines on Title & Description
    9. Submit following those guidelines
    10. Forget about it as getting listed may take years
    I assume you want to be listed so I skipped the "forget to submit" part :p

That list is pretty much all any other consultant can do, unless they themselves are editors and can really get you a listing for money. Such a thing is within the guidelines, but I'd not put much stock into many people offering such services.

Qryztufre, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  2. imnajam

imnajam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Qryztufre, Can I have your free consultation to get my site http://sms4smile.com/ or any of it's sub-section listed at DMOZ ?

I have submitted http://sms4smile.com/category/poetry-sms/ along time ago and it was also approved for a while, and removed within a week, haven't submitted again in last 2 3 or more months.

imnajam, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I just gave it to you in 10 easy points.

4. imnajam

imnajam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oops ok:) I was just wondering if you could give any thing specific to my site. anyways thanks for the tips:)

imnajam, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  5. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Qryztufre, you should stick to your hocus pocus, your advice on this topic is a bit shakey as you forgot to mention the most important thing - unique content, and the more the better.

Also the bit about paying to have a site listed being within the guidelines is nonsense. Earlier in the thread when you said "bribes are a sure fire way of a permanent ban from the directory" you had it right.

nebuchadrezzar, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  6. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Buying a DMOZ review is like buying a link..
    its against Google -_-

Dreads, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Yeah, my advice is shakey, and I'msure that that content thing isn't in the guidelines I pointed too, in fact, i'm sure that following the guidelines for submission is a sure fire way to not get listed :rolleyes:

I'm sure that writing a title and description worthy of being listed is also going to harm the submission.

And I'm sure having your site established is going to do some damage as well.

You are right, sorry that I told people to read and follow the submission guidelines.... they better listen to you, as an editor I'm sure you are better qualified to know that following such things as the listed guidelines is a shakey affair and will likely harm the site :(

Next time I'll just follow your lead and tell them that the only thing needed is unique content :p

Sorry I must have been mislead...

Here is an editor saying that getting paid is OK: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=4875478&postcount=67

Here is another editor saying it's OK: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=5025123&postcount=126

Here it is within the ODP guidelines:

In some cases, an editor's business affiliation overlaps their involvement in the directory, such as with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) professionals and Professional Content Providers (PCPs), whose participation may benefit both the editor and the directory. Instances when the involvement is mutually beneficial are acceptable, however, the primary focus and goal should always be to serve the best interests of the ODP and the editing community. Conducting unfair and deceptive activities to promote and support client listings will result in removal of editing privileges.
    SOURCE:

Though note, I do make a distinction between getting paid and accepting a bribe. There is a difference, and the guidelines I'm sure make that clear as well.

8. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    And that would be a big step towards giving half decent advice oh dark one. Unique content comes up trumps regardless of whether a site has been established for 10 minutes or ten years , or the description is crap, or the category is wrong. That should be number one in your list.

nebuchadrezzar, Dec 7, 2007 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Or following the examples of other listed sites, or the category description, and most importantly, more important then following the guidelines.

It's truly sad that an editor is advising people to not bother with them just because an ex-editor has given sound advice.

You should be accenting my post by saying "OH, you forgot unique content" not saying that the guidelines don't have to be bothered with! If the rules don't matter, then then are there hundreds of pages of them? Whats the big deal over confidentiality? Why is there special rules for real estate sites? I'm sorry, but making sure your site fits within the rules certainly seems like good advice to me... I'm sorry that you as an editor don't seem to think so.

Though, I am glad you have posted in this thread. Now all the folks here in Link Development can see just how the editors truly are within DMOZ and will know just why it's nearly impossible to get a link now-a-days. And when they take your advice to ignore the guidelines they will wonder why it's taken over a year and they are still not in...

Qryztufre, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  10. Torsten

Torsten Peon

Best Answers:
    I also recall trying to register sites there, but they were refused. The regional option sounds like having the best potential. Someone told me that the niche sections are often run by people from those industries and that they "have a problem with competitors".

More tips are welcome;).

Torsten, Dec 8, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  11. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    nebuchadrezzar, I was shocked and saddened to see multiple ODP editors on this forum say exactly what Q said. In fact they argued with him to make the point and he finally conceded. Now you tell him he's wrong to believe what the editors argued it true? Was Q right in the first place before the editors argued to change his mind?

I'm happy to hear you say Q is wrong, but he does in fact get that information from editors posting here. Maybe you can help everyone out a lot and correct those editors who have been saying this. As far a Q goes, he only conceded the point to those who were supposed to be much more knowledgeable than he is, so please don't shoot the messenger.

compostannie, Dec 8, 2007 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  12. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As always from Nebbie Boy always full of S _ _ _ ! :mad:

To the OP. If you want your site listed make sure your website serves the purpose of giving good information for readers rather than yourself. That said, can have a better chance of getting it listed. :)

popotalk, Dec 8, 2007 IP
    compostannie and threebuckchuck like this.
  13. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Compostannie, I was simply trying to insert a little realism into Qryztufre's post. He omitted the most important thing in a submitted site, then he launched into his normal seo/paid listing drivel.

His ten step program for getting a site listed implies that you somehow turn a sows ear into a silk purse. I will say it again, if you want to get a site listed submit a site with unique content and lots of it. If someone does not understand that they should keep their "free consults" to themselves.

And popotalk what the hells your problem? If you actually look at what you wrote you are agreeing with me.

You think that the link development folk will find it unreasonable for a directory to require sites to have lots of content? As long as they follow your 10 step program you think their sites should be included?

nebuchadrezzar, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  14. crystak

crystak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What exactly does it take to become a DMOZ editor? Is it really that hard to get in if you have completed a university degree and write a proper application?

crystak, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  15. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    All it needs is a half decent application with no hint of self interest, or deception.

The percentage of applications approved is not high, this is not a function of the directories desire to keep people out, but rather the low quality applications, many of them are really, really bad.

nebuchadrezzar, Dec 8, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Many in this forum (Directory Section) would say they know how to make a good description but :eek: if you will try and see their works its not an example to follow. :cool:

popotalk, Dec 8, 2007 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I'll say it again, if following the submission guidelines, the category description, and other guidelines is not the correct method of getting listed, then why are those guidelines there? How can I be wrong when that is what the guidelines say? How can I be wrong when that is what so many other editors say?

If you want to know who is misleading people in this thead, it is without a doubt, 100% you, and you hiding behind your fake name should be completely ashamed of yourself.

And if on the off chance I am wrong, then maybe you should petition internal forums to change this page --> http://www.dmoz.org/add.html]

So yeah, I'm misleading the public here by giving the same information the ODP gives...and if that is turning a pigs ear into a silk purse, then its truly no wonder so many people complain about not being able to get a listing...they have no guidelines to follow accept the word of a self proclaimed editor.

How about you get a few other editors in this thread to back up your claims that submitters do not need to follow the guidelines. I'll bet you can't!!!

Qryztufre, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  18. user567453

user567453 Member

Best Answers:
    I'm waiting for more than ... 8 months :(((((((

user567453, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  19. aspire

aspire Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Paying to get listed is no solution.

aspire, Dec 9, 2007 IP
  20. Torsten

Torsten Peon

Best Answers:
    Then go with us through the process together.
    What site is it for? What category and what text are you going to submit. That should do for starters.

Torsten, Dec 9, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.