1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Rich Jerk: anybody bought it?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by FlashVictim, Jan 5, 2006.

http://www.therichjerk.com/

Although I know it will probably be a guide to making bad website I still feel the urge to buy it... should I? Is it ANY good?

FlashVictim, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  2. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, don't buy it. All those ebooks are a waste of money IMO. Everything you need to know is right here in DP forums.

MattEvers, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  3. basicus

basicus Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed. There is no reason to buy these books IMO. DP and other similar places are the best source of information.

basicus, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  4. WebWriter

WebWriter Active Member

Best Answers:
    When I was looking to buy this book I had a hard time finding a review that wasn't an affiliate. When I finally did get some outside opinions I was told that it's basically the same stuff you can find for free on message boards- except it's thrown at you in a rather offensive tone.

WebWriter, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  5. knowvak

knowvak Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's say I have seen it and it ain't worth it! You can find all his information and then some on boards like this.

knowvak, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  6. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a very detailed review of it on Bourland.com. Realize that you're not the target audience for these books, they're aimed at people who don't know how to find information online or can't (or don't want to) spend the time to read through and understand it all.

(I should point out that Andrew Bourland has since recanted his decision to include affiliate links in his reviews. On the whole, I've been very impressed with the quality of his reviews, so it's worth checking out what he has to say about some of the other packages. More reviews are supposed to be coming soon.)

Eric Giguere, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  7. JCDev

JCDev Peon

Best Answers:
    If you value your time at 1$/hour than don't buy this book. In fact, don't buy anything at all.

After 500 hour browsing this forum you will know everything you'll ever need while only spending 500 bucks!

JCDev, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  8. jcomm

jcomm Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely.

BEFORE I was an ebook author, I bought ebooks. Anyone successful will tell you to soak up and absorb as much information from as many resources as you can get your hands on. It is foolishness to waste time doing research that someone else has done for you when you could be applying that information right away.

My time is far too valuable, so I'll continue purchasing ebooks and thanking those who write them.

Joel

jcomm, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  9. xinnek

xinnek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very recently I got a little desperate on one of my sites. I had lost all of my members due to a hacker, a worm and my ingnorance. After 3-4 months of my forum being stagnant with only 20 or so members I purchased a book to increase my rankings. They went up a little for about a month then...........
    BLAM! :eek: I got tanked by google. My listing for my top keywords dropped down thousands in the SE results. Thank the SEO god that I had some dp'rs that helped me get back on track. I agree that you can find some great info in books and ebooks can be one of the most up to date areas. After all, if you wait a year till it goes to press you may end up like I did with outdated info and get tanked. Of course the great thing about DP is that you don't have just one opinion as you do with a book, you have checks and balances. Post something here that is incorrect or outdated and see how fast someone is to call you on it. DP members are a proud bunch of misfits and geeks that don't take Sh!# from anyone.

xinnek, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  10. MikeRob

MikeRob Peon

Best Answers:
    I have it and think it is a great little Ebook. There are at least 2-3 different ideas and angles that I have never thought of before, and which each will make back the price of the book by 10-fold.

But then again, I'm an "action oriented" type of guy and will get to work immedialy on those new ideas by spending many hours working late nights.

If you are not able to get to work immediately with action, then you will only have wasted your money. And you will continue to waste your money for as long as you purchase Ebooks.

The Rich Jerk gets a thumbs-up from me.

Regards,

Mike

MikeRob, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  11. falco85

falco85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, I don't like to trust someone that wants to teach me SEO when he's got a PR0 website. Moreover, wanting to get paid and using an offensive tone. No, it's not for me :) btw I think ebooks are a waste of money and a good biz for who's writing them because there are many people out there that want to start make money but do not want to put the right effort with it.
    IMHO if you want to earn some money you must study and work hard, practise and make errors. repeat this 1000 times and maybe you will start learning something :)

just my 2 cents

falco85, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  12. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Perfect advice... but 99% of the people out there are just a bunch of lazy bums who think that by reading an ebook they will learn what they need. You have a perfect example with jcomm... he recommends them so much because he is an author, seems that the only ones who recommend ebooks are the ones who write them.

Anyway, I am glad that people think that way, because they will never acomplish anything and will leave the path clear for people who actually study and work hard instead of wasting their time reading junk

fryman, Jan 5, 2006 IP
    falco85 likes this.
  13. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    u learn the most by doing. just start something and go from there :)

kkibak, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  14. NAZAM.COM

NAZAM.COM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't waste money on these eBooks. Like other people have said, you can learn far more from forums such as these.

I got fed up of my mates wasting their hard-earned money on expensive eBooks which are marketed with slick websites full of exclamation marks but don't say anything new. So I set up a few pages where you can pick up ebooks (and scripts) sold on other sites for hundreds of dollars for free. Get them here. Just click to download; no need to register.

NAZAM.COM, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  15. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good Tip but the Free AdSense Ebook is damaged :confused:

Wally, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  16. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    I have spent some money on ebooks. Some have made me money and some haven't. The ones that did were definitely worth the money I paid many times over.

I've never written or sold and ebook. I haven't bought Joel Comms book or The Rich Jerk so I can't really comment on those ebooks.

This is 100% correct.

The major problem that people have with ebooks like these is that 90% who read them never actually test the stuff out properly.

Hon Daddy Dad, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  17. falco85

falco85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your amusing comment :)
    I am just a newbie out of there, but I am reaching my objectives even if I am small. In the first month I earned 5$ a day, and now I am starting to earn 10$ a day, and I hope to increase with that ratio for the following months.. it would be great.

For example, I noticed yesterday that some sites I built in my first period had some mistakes in SEO, that now I recognized easily and fixed them.

I advice people to learn from competitors.. just search with google some good PR5/PR7 sites, see where they are linked from and try to see if you can buy that link or you can have it for free, and if it's worth eventually buying it..

Regarding onpage SEO, see how they do things, what keywords they are ranking for and if they match in the SE, always check if they are using black hat SEO and DONT learn that in that case. For any doubt, just do some search on DP.

Also browsing through DP forums are an excellent study source. There are thousands of skilled users there. If they just give a bit of their knownledge through the years, just sum it for every user through time doing some historical research.. result: you have a huge library for you just for free ;)

This is the way I am currently learning! Hope I will help someone to acquire this point of view.

Falco85

falco85, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  18. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope you actually have the rights to distribute those ebooks.

A lot of ebooks get distributed for free. It's a well-documented marketing technique, actually. The way the authors make money with "free" books is generally through:

1. Getting people to sign up for their mailing list (and then selling them other things that way)

2. Affiliate links inside the book

Eric

Eric Giguere, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  19. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    In an ideal world, the author writes a book and the publisher takes care of generating publicity for the book. Even in conventional publishing, though, it turns out that the author has to be actively involved in generating publicity -- the publisher has too many books on the go to do a good job.

With ebooks, the author is (usually) also the publisher. Promotion is just part of the job.

As for people wasting money on ebooks, well... if they want to buy a book from Amazon, they probably read reviews before spending their money. I'd think that before they plunk $97 for an ebook they should do the same, no? Failing that -- it can be hard to find unbiased reviews of these things -- deal with a reputable source like ClickBank for purchasing the ebooks and you can get your money back if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Eric Giguere, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  20. ebooborg

ebooborg Peon

Best Answers:
    "wow ull have to be a real looser to buy this ebook!"

^^^^^^ the con artist is using reverse psychology to sell you peanuts^^^

best of luck, and if anyone is so dumb to buy any of these ebooks, best of luck to yee as well

ebooborg, Jan 6, 2006 IP