1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much can IE suck?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by xxMirceaxx, Nov 25, 2007.

If you open vipflux.com with FF or any other decent browser it looks ok, no problems....but try that with internet explorer :eek: Everything is anywhere but their right place! Can someone help...at least with an advice! I'll give you green and cookies...

xxMirceaxx, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  2. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would try setting overflow:hidden on #headline and #dynamic_box_right to see if anything is spilling out of their boxes. Your logo is messed up because you use alpha transparent PNG for something that shouldn't need PNG. Try using a GIF with a matte color.

soulscratch, Nov 25, 2007 IP
    xxMirceaxx likes this.
  3. twistedspikes

twistedspikes Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say it sucks just cause your site doesn't work in it.

I don't understand people who say it sucks. It's still the no.1 used browser in the world, live with it, otherwise your just cutting your market by a massive chunk.

Lets just hope that IE6 becomes redundent soon as that was much worse than 7.

twistedspikes, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  4. bsklep

bsklep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah.. Ie is popular.. but many "things" are not working in IE.... It's hard :|

bsklep, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  5. Mogo

Mogo Peon

Best Answers:
    Ugh I HATE IE with a passion. I personally use and love Opera.

Mogo, Nov 25, 2007 IP
    twistedspikes likes this.
  6. twistedspikes

Best Answers:
    Opera FTW! :D I love it too.

Most "things" should work if it's coded properly, using hacks is a last resort but sometimes has to be done.

7. webwiz

webwiz Peon

Best Answers:
    no words to describe how far i don't like IE.
    I use Firefox and Opera.

webwiz, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  8. Rannek

Rannek Guest

Best Answers:
    How about you just code it in IE instead of coding it and making it viewable for Opera? Because if it works in IE, it will most likely work in every other browser. All the other browsers revolve around IE and that's a fact... Their just a little more enhanced so people are coding in that instead of IE then saying IE sucks since they can't view it in there, it's really funny. By the way, I do use FF and IE7, so im not just a IE person defending it.

Rannek, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  9. twistedspikes

Best Answers:
    Thats wrong.

All browsers don't revolve around IE at all.

If you have coded it for IE then it probably won't work in FF and the other standard browsers, from my experience that is the way it works, unless you either know what you are doing or keep tabs on the page in FF, Opera and IE the whole way through.

buffalo likes this.
  10. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    First off if you 'have' to resort to this:
    <!--[if lte ie 6]>
    <link href="http://www.vipflux.com/templates/css/ie6-fixes.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vipflux.com/js/ADxMenu.js"></script>
    <![endif]-->

You are probably doing something wrong.

If you use this:
    @CHARSET "UTF-8";

@import url(css/layout.css);
    @import url(css/menu-styles.css);
    @import url(css/style.css);
    @import url(css/dynamic_box_right.css);
    @import url(css/dynamic_box_left.css);
    @import url(css/forms.css);

You probably have a fat bloated page that takes twice as long as it should to load, AND likely have three times the CSS that such a simplistic layout needs.... AND are probably doing something wrong.

Being that it doesn't render right in Opera either, you are probably doing something wrong.

Being that you used THIS to tab a bunch of stuff in:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

You are DEFINATELY doing something wrong. (especially the lack of semi-colons on those, meaning they actually show as text - brilliant)

67 validation errors ring a bell?

That it crashes firefox on first load from a clean session here - one look at the code and I'm SO shocked.

Of course, 23k of HTML in SIX files (122k uncompressed), 27k of CSS in 9 files, 147 freaking k in 10 files of javascript, and a whopping 1.2 MEGS of images in 62 files - /FAIL/ /FAIL/ /FAIL/

Sheesh, too lazy to even make real thumbnails? You're using full size (570px wide) images with no encoding as 100 pixel wide thumb?

Sorry, but if you are going to make grandiouse statements about IE, maybe you shouldn't use a page so riddled with mistakes and well... lacking a better word incompetance as an example... but then, it is done under Vivvo which usually makes turdpress look competant.

deathshadow, Nov 25, 2007 IP
    xxMirceaxx likes this.
  11. Orako

Orako Peon

Best Answers:
    I use both IE7 and FF. If I have a problem viewing a site, I can simply witch. It isn't something to really gripe over.

Orako, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  12. twistedspikes

Best Answers:
    I was waiting for deathshadow to post :p lol.

13. xxMirceaxx

xxMirceaxx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Site is using the default vivvo template, there wasn't anything changed from what i know...I will pass your words to the owner (he's banned here)!

xxMirceaxx, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  14. HPA

HPA Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IE sucks badly! I hate IE. I don't know why can't people switch to FF or Opera! :/

HPA, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  15. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    HPA, it's because they think the little blue "E" IS THE INTERNET - they just don't know about Firefox, Opera or even Safari (for Windows) - and if they do, they just think of it as "their cousin's nephew's sister's geek BFF's browser" meaning it's "not normal" and thus to be avoided.

And believe me, if you REALLY want to see deathshadow rant, head over to the Classic BattleTech forums and read some of his posts about Web design there. ;)

Dan Schulz, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  16. HPA

HPA Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed.

I just use Internet explorer, once in a while, just for testing my HTML and CSS in IE.

HPA, Nov 27, 2007 IP