1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I remove my site name from page titles?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Vic_mackey, Nov 22, 2007.

I've been making various changes to my site, and I'm seeing a slow rise up the serps.

On every page on my site, the page titles are like this:

Business Name - Offshore company formation
    Business Name - Offshore Banking
    Business Name - Open an offshore bank account
    etc.

Should I remove the business name from the page title, would it give more weight to the keywords left in there?

I'm going to rank for my own company name whether its in there or not, my url is my business name and its not a common name so I'll definetely rank for my own name whatever I do, thats not an issue. I am targetting serps for each of the page titles that I have on my site. Every page has different, relevant title, but all currently prefaced with the business name at the moment.

I'm curious if anyone thinks this will actually make a difference to serps if I remove the name or leave it in.

Thanks

Vic_mackey, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  2. 1powershop

1powershop Guest

Best Answers:
    ;)Yes,as you know,Title is very very improtant for GOOGLE, specially the first words. and for your website, your "business name" is not the BEST keywork I think.But if your company is "GOOGLE",it is great.:D:D

1powershop, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  3. jasmine1111

jasmine1111 Peon

Best Answers:
    hiiii

Yes I think U are going in the right way if your business name is same as your domain name then defenately it will easily comes first in the SERP. so try to target your keywords that are related to your business in your pages title so that you can achieve the ranking for that keywords also because achieving the ranking for your business name, you can achieve through the doamin name.:)

jasmine1111, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    Vic_mackey likes this.
  4. DerkThunder

DerkThunder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the page title should be reserved for keywords only. Try to keep out words link "and" "or" and instead replace them with "|"

DerkThunder, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    Vic_mackey likes this.
  5. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to use something like,

keyword - Business Name, or

keyword 1 keyword 2 Business Name.

That way you're prioritising your keywords but also keeping your branding.

MattUK, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    Vic_mackey likes this.
  6. aira

aira Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you're actually after the business name promotion aka branding, no problem in including them in the title but you have to make sure that the keywords are mixed well with it. Try to use unique Titles and experiment with it (i.e. Titles with keywords w/o the business name, titles with keywords and business name) to test which will do better in SERPs

aira, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    Vic_mackey likes this.
  7. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    If the business name is keyword rich, then you can leave it there however switch them around and put the keywords furtherest to the left.

Offshore Banking - Business Name

Not only will it be weighted better, but eye movement studies show people scan down the left side of the SERP results so having your keywords/search term there catches the eye better and can increase click throughs.

Also if your domain is BusinessName.com don't use it in your titles like:

Offshore Banking - BusinessName.com

It's pointless you should rank first for it anyway, instead use:

Offshore Banking - Business Name

It greatly enhances keywords, but at the same time assists with branding.

sweetfunny, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    Vic_mackey likes this.
  8. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    What I find works best is:

Page Title - Business Name

I also find having more than just the keywords in your tile works better. So if you wanted to rank for say "Computer Books" I'd have a page title of "Computer Books Reviews - My Book Site". The title also appears in the SERPs so you want to to be enticing to visitors as well.

dct, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    Vic_mackey likes this.
  9. COBSolutions

COBSolutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Place the business name at the end of the title, keywords should be the first few words in the title you can have three words like below
    Primary Keyword | Secondary Keyword | Business Name

COBSolutions, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    Vic_mackey likes this.
  10. bomberman

bomberman Peon

Best Answers:
    It is important that you place first your keywords before the business name like cashisfilthitakecheck said. Minimize the stop words instead replace it with | sign.

bomberman, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    Vic_mackey likes this.
  11. domainpubber

domainpubber Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have found through much experimentation that as long as you use a separator (- or | work best) it really makes no difference to my SERPs. So, I use the site name, followed by a | and then my page title in most cases now. This has the added benefit of "branding" your site so that perhaps someday your site will be recognized by its brand and since it doesn't seem to affect SERPs why not increase a site's visibility?

If others have found better results leaving the site name off or putting it at the end, I'd love to see proof that it helps SERPs ;-)

domainpubber, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    Vic_mackey likes this.
  12. nairbuoyevoli

nairbuoyevoli Active Member

Best Answers:
    if test done and if you think that is the reason, change it.

nairbuoyevoli, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  13. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    No, you shouldn't remove the site name from the page title element. Doing so can confuse people who use screen readers and other assistive devices (am I on the same site, or another one now?).

Dan Schulz, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  14. raven1083

raven1083 Banned

Best Answers:
    it is okey to keep your business name in the title of your website but put it in the last word like if you targeting keyword like classified you can use this title: classified by business name, because first word is important in ranking search engine result page.

raven1083, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    Vic_mackey likes this.
  15. Vic_mackey

Vic_mackey Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. If I'm honest I dont care if I confuse people who use screen readers. I'm aiming for serps only. Nothing else can be taken into consideration here. For the tiny amount of people who use things like that, its not worth considering when it comes to serps. I know this might seem a bit harsh, but I'm trying to run a web-only business and it'll live or die on its serps.

Vic_mackey, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  16. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, given that you're in the UK, not caring about accessibility will get you in trouble with the law, especially given that accessibility is the law of the land over there. Not only that, but improved accessibilitly and ease of use can and often DOES INCREASE AND IMPROVE the SEO of a Web site.

17. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So having your site's name in the title of the page title helps with SEO? How so?

Something like this looks better for the engines:
    Keyword 1, Keyword 2 - Site name if you're going to include the site name in your page title - depending on if your site name includes the keyword that you're trying to rank for.

ForgottenCreature, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  18. Vic_mackey

Vic_mackey Banned

Best Answers:
    There are no legal issues, the company isnt a UK company. Thanks for the replies everyone, its helped me make my mind up. I'm going to remove the company name, and leave it on the index page only, but after the keywords.

I'll leave green rep for everyone replied so far. (edit - just said i've left too much in 24hr after I made it halfway down the thread, dont worry I'll be back :D)

Thanks

Vic_mackey, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  19. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest to put in your title only the keywords that a visitor will type in G to have the results he need...

Codythebest, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  20. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Forgetting to see the forest for the trees, are we? I was talking in general, not about page titles. Besides, I don't even work that way anyway. Here's how I structure my page titles.

Page Title - Site Title

The page title would contain one to two keywords (and also be short and to the point), whereas the site title would be just that. So for example, if I had a Web page about Barry Bonds on a site about baseball and steroids (let's call the site "Cork & Juice - The Truth about Professional Baseball" for the heck of it), the page title would be "Barry Bonds and BALCO" while the site titel would be simply "Cork & Juice". The home page title would simply be the site title with the tagline.

Here's another example (using the ones I already gave).

Home Page "Cork & Juice - The Truth about Professional Baseball"
    Page about Barry Bonds "Barry Bonds and BALCO - Cork & Juice"

I know, not the greatest example, but not only will it help rank well for "Barry Bonds" and "Balco" but also searches for the site that include articles about BALCO, baseball and Barry Bonds (not so much for "baseball" directly on the inner pages, but that's what good quality content is for) while also helping those who need the extra assistence feel reassured that they're still on the same site (especially if they later go to the hypothetical page about Sammy Sosa and his infamous corked bat).

Of course, since this deals with current events (ones that are now heading to the federal courts), Mr. Bonds is presumed innocent unless proven guilty by a jury of his peers in a court of law.