1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is being in dmoz.org very important?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Markas, Nov 22, 2007.

What do you think? ;)

Markas, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are several factors that can sway such an answer, and the better majority of these factors have been discussed in similar threads to this one.

The answer can also seem to change based on who you ask, as some feel it is completely worthless, others of course think it's the holy grail of links. Most of course fall some place in the middle. In the end though, it' IS a link, and any link has it's value. It's certainly worth the few moments it takes to submit, though its also important to know at least the basics of their guidelines before doing so...

Qryztufre, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    jimnoble, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Oh yes, I'm sorry, don't even bother to submit. This theory is seemingly backed up by the Meta editor that pointed it out ;)

Thanks Jim, now mind pointing out the rest of the places where I give the rest of that Mantra...ya know, the part that says "Submit and forget"...or are you just wanting the "forget to submit" part brought to attention?

I notice that you only pointed to the forget part and mentioned no actual worth yourself... Are you trying to tell us something?

Qryztufre, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  5. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the whole phrase is better. Look at your site objectively to see if you have content that would add something original to the category you're submitting to. If the answer is yes, then go ahead and submit. If the answer is no, then forget 2 submit.

It's about building a directory, not promoting websites. ;)

compostannie, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  6. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Just pointing out your inconsistency to the OP.

As you rightly point out, I didn't express an opinion, don't feel the need to and don't plan to :).

I expect you'll now have a lot of fun converting this thread to being all about you and being determined to have the last word. Feel free :).

jimnoble, Nov 22, 2007 IP
    compostannie and Alucard like this.
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This from an ex-editor who was so angry when an editor did his job and removed Q's personal website from the directory, because at the time of the editors visit the site was down, proceeded to write an abuse report on the editor who had done his job as an editor. That's how useless he thought it was. Now he offers two opinions in one thread. At least you make us laugh, Q.

Offer the site, then forget it, because there is nothing more you can do to promote it in ODP. Is it worth anything, dunno, don't care, I just collect websites that help make up the bigest human edited directory. :D

Anonymously, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey guys, can't we all try to get along? Sure, there are many different views and personalities, but taking every thread off topic doesn't help the posters who ask questions. It just makes certain members of this forum and certain ODP editors look a little silly.

Surely we can make the effort to grow up and do a better job of answering questions. I put my heart into the ODP for over 6 years and it pains me to see the petty bickering that takes over every thread. I want to see the project that I put so much of myself into thrive and I find it hard to believe others want it harmed. Yes I know editors are volunteers, but like it or not, the behavior of both editors and ex-editors do make an impression on the directory is perceived.

Editors should be helpful and professional. I've seen discussion in the internal forums, I know editors are (for the most part) all intelligent people with great communication skills. Don't be shy, there's no point in hiding your charms.

Ex-editors all have different reasons for being here. At the root of those reasons there has to be a part of them that still cares. Can't we recognize that and work together to help people? Please?

compostannie, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  9. Remotay

Remotay Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is pointless. Just another backlink / directory.

Remotay, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  10. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Good statement, Remotay. Why don't the rest of your compatriots believe that, stop with the complaints, move on with their lives, and let us continue doing our volunteer work as we see fit without all the bashing?

If it doesn't matter, then why do so many pretend it does?

crowbar, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Why is it that two ex editors are in this thread trying to say that there is at least some worth to it, yet the three editors posting in this thread have mentioned no worth what so ever?

I keep getting told that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to the ODP. Maybe there is some truth to that... maybe from no on, when I hear someone ask about the value of the directory I'll just start right off with "DMOZ SUCKS" and then reference this thread for it's complete lack of value. It's seemingly clear that the Editors see nothing all that important about what they do.

Or was I right in my first post here and wrong now?

Qryztufre, Nov 23, 2007 IP
    pctec likes this.
  12. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm just agreeing there's no worth SEO and PR wise, and that there's no appreciable value in worrying about getting listed there, not that the Directory has no value, :).

crowbar, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  13. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    @q:
    I do wish you'd read the words as written and refrain from distorting them to justify whatever point that you're trying to make.

At no time have I said that ODP has no worth. The only opinion that I've previously expressed in this thread is that yours is ambivalent.

jimnoble, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  14. Overclock099

Overclock099 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just submitted my blog & look if my site qualified or not. I have follow all instruction carefully. hope dmoz is not paid directory..:)

Overclock099, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  15. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    "The ODP is 100% free. " :)

http://www.dmoz.org/help/geninfo.html

"The ODP does not have an express service similar to other commercial directories however, there are several things you can do to help expedite review of your submission. First, follow the submission guidelines carefully.

Secondly, you may want to review some of our editorial policies that the editors use to list sites. A well-written, thoughtful submission has a greater chance of getting reviewed sooner than a sloppy, careless one.

http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/describing.html

We do not, however, recommend submitting your site to many different categories in hopes that one or two will end up being listed. This will not get your site listed quicker, and may in fact significantly delay processing. This may be interpreted as spam, which could result in your site not getting listed at all."
    http://www.dmoz.org/help/submit.html

crowbar, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  16. Overclock099

Best Answers:
  17. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Those are usually liars trying to rip you off, but, we would be most interested in any that are actually valid, and our metas would be most anxious to have a little conversation with any editors engaged in that kind of activity, :D.

Once they're caught, I believe any site that has paid for such services will be given the Golden Boot Award, also, so it wouldn't be a wise thing for a site owner to do. Only a meta could confirm that guess.

crowbar, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  18. Overclock099

Best Answers:
    Thanks Crowbar.. I am sure Dmoz have select their editor very carefully..:)

Alucard likes this.
  19. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Very carefully, but some scumbags do slip in occassionally. :mad:

crowbar, Nov 23, 2007 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

In a thread asking if there is any value in a link, you follow a post saying that there is indeed SOME worth with a post not mentioning any worth what-so-ever but that points the wonderful half-advice of "forget to submit".

My point in this thread, and in fact, most threads, is that DMOZ has worth, but it also has many flaws. Though, strangely regardless of whether or not I say something good or bad about the project, it always does seem that there is always an editor that follows me to say the exact opposite.

Your point in this thread has been to say that I feel it's important to forget to submit...and with you not mentioning worth, and with other editors posting in this thread not mentioning worth...what worth should an outside reader place on the directory? The worth given by an ex-editor that most editors can not seemingly agree with, or the lack of worth posts by editors?

Go on, point out my previous posts here to get the point across that I feel that in many cases forgetting to submit is the same as submitting... but what 'worth' does that give you as a meta editor, or to the directory in general?

If my first post in this thread is wrong on some level, then I thank you for correcting me...but was your reply to me to correct something wrong I said?

Is there any importance to having a link in DMOZ? I mean, your say would certainly be more definiat then mine. You are a meta editor, and I am simply an ambivalent ex-ed...yet of the two of us, I am the one that has given worth thus far...

As for paid links. That really has nothing to do with the importance of the directory... though, paid links are within the guidelines, and the 100% free bit is a touch misleading. Though there are a few very important points that one must keep in mind before even trying to get a paid listing. The first and foremost, is that it MUST be through common SEO work, and that any specific talk of getting a DMOZ listing for money can be construed as a "bribe" which is against the guidelines and can result in the site or the editor in getting banned. However, an SEO professional can put in a DMOZ link so long as it is a benefit to both the editor as a professional, and to the Directory itself.

Qryztufre, Nov 23, 2007 IP