1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wikipedia no longer good for link development :(

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by jacobkell, Nov 12, 2007.

Wikipedia was good for posting links beacuse articles there always had good page rank even up to seven.But now they added no follow talk and now you cant use anymore that advantage.What to do now?

jacobkell, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  2. Raithe

Raithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    uhm... "but now"?

They have been Nofollow for months.

Raithe, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  3. mit

mit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And when it was a good source for link development?

mit, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  4. TadSenseQ

TadSenseQ Banned

Best Answers:
    Hmmm.. yea your right about that

TadSenseQ, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  5. narenderpalsingh

narenderpalsingh Peon

Best Answers:
    What Wikipedia needs to do is periodically examine and remove some of it's editors. Then it'll fix many more problems than nofollowing links. the NoFollow doesn't bother me that much though – as long as they keep the links in. Some of my clients are still getting huge traffic from wikipedia daily. The problem is, many admins are so gung ho to think that everything is spam, that if you only add a link to an article... they remove it thinking you're spamming.
    Many times I've added useful links to articles (not my clients sites... but sites I thought were helpful) only to see an admin call me a spammer.

narenderpalsingh, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  6. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why worry about NOFOLLOW when wiki ranks in the top 3 for most keywords? Get your link in there and get a piece of that traffic! The a link on the top ranking sites is always useful for traffic even if it's NOFOLLOW or a competitor.

qazu, Nov 12, 2007 IP
    kentuckyslone and Crazy_Rob like this.
  7. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Link development should equate to developing and growing your traffic flow NOT PR. Once a person realizes this fact they will be much better off - my opinion on the matter.

If you can get a relevant link in wikipedia then by all means take it and consider yourself very lucky and fortunate. Who cares if there is a no follow tag? Traffic is what will make the difference between success or failure for your website. What good is a PR4 or PR5 etc etc when you are only getting 100 uniques per day or even less. Remember, PR does not help your traffic flow.

I had a PR4 site that got 60 to 70 average uniques per day. At the same time I had a PR0 that got 50 uniques per day, a PR2 that got 125 average and a PR3 that was getting over 1000 per day.

kentuckyslone, Nov 12, 2007 IP
    Tim_Myth likes this.
  8. FreeTraffic

FreeTraffic Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used it.

FreeTraffic, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  9. rgerhards

rgerhards Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't care about nofollow. First, you get the traffic. Secondly, this traffic bears more potential. Just think about some of the folks blogging about your page or submitting it to a social bookmarking service. It is not just the automated world that counts ;)

Rainer

rgerhards, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  10. jacobkell

jacobkell Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes but i tried many time to add my link on wiki and it always got deleted no matter is it relevant or not

jacobkell, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  11. crystak

crystak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ^ Same. I think your link needs to provide something new and attractive to the article in order for it to be admitted.

crystak, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  12. rgerhards

rgerhards Peon

Best Answers:
    Same here. In my experience, the key often is that somebody else (as specified in the wiki "rules" themselves) submits your site. And, of course, the page linked to must be outstanding. There is a high quality bar with wiki. I got myself into wikipedia with a couple of pages, but all of them offer real unique content. It was harder to stay when I added the link myself. Note that no ads on the page definitely helps. You can add them a few weeks later if you like, but that again bears the risk of removal. I know it is hard to stay away from the ads, and it is not always necessary. However, I have done it on a few pages. The plus is that these pages get good traffic and rank high. So you can place you own links on them and they are very useful. You pay, of course, with not being able to monetize some of your best content... But: you can't have everything in live. Sometime you need to decide ;)

Rainer

rgerhards, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  13. temujin

temujin Peon

Best Answers:
    that is old news though...

temujin, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  14. dotcompals

dotcompals Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Your links at wiki is always useful - "nofollow" or "follow" . Because they are getting very large volume of traffic.

dotcompals, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  15. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you must find some alternative backlink building ways

trichnosis, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  16. martialarm

martialarm Peon

Best Answers:
    I have about 15 links to one of my sites and so wiki is my 5th largest traffic source.

Also google loves it so I am sure it passes trust even with no follow.

martialarm, Nov 15, 2007 IP
  17. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've found that several of my more useful pages have been added to relevant wikipedia topics, and they all give me some traffic regardless of whether or not they improve my PR. It's also rewarding to know that somebody thinks something I made was useful.

davewashere, Nov 15, 2007 IP
    Tim_Myth likes this.
  18. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Wikipedia must have had some staff meeting about those external links. I monitor them all the time. I've lost about 25 links from Wikipedia in less than a month, and I only have 2 that are still up there. Same thing happened to my competitor.

Pixelrage, Nov 16, 2007 IP
  19. Tim_Myth

Tim_Myth Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't chase PR. Chase traffic. Its your visitors that make you money, and PR is only very loosely related to visitors.

Tim_Myth, Nov 16, 2007 IP
  20. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like someone had added a link to one of my sites on wikipedia, but it was later removed. The reason I know this is because I received several visits from a wikipedia page (saw this in awstats), but when I went to the wikipedia page I didnt see a link to my site anywhere.

kentuckyslone, Nov 16, 2007 IP