1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's Good in America?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by northpointaiki, Nov 5, 2007.

1. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Whatever freedoms we have left are being taken away little by little. Just look at the past few years. It's so apparent.

guru-seo, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Did I already mention that one of the best things about America is PORTILLO's?

[​IMG]

As long as the government doesn't shut that place down, I have no complaints!!!

Crazy_Rob, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  3. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Band of Brothers (All 10 episodes),

[​IMG], and

[​IMG]

All I gotta say.:D

northpointaiki, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  4. bfebrian

bfebrian Peon

Best Answers:
    Justice Leauge of America :D

[​IMG]

bfebrian, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  5. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Where did you learn this ? In the US :D

Did you actually visited and experienced some other countries in the world to actually know that you enjoy more freedom than any other nation in the world ?

iatbm, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  6. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They just make stuff up and expect everyone to believe it. they are literally force fed this garbage from birth.
    the classic falsehoods that come from amricans are;
    1. We are the most free country
    2. We have the most opportunities
    3. We welcome the needy

If any of them have even read about Norway, Holland, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, let alone go to these place, They would see how wrong they are and how much better others have it.

it's ok to like your country, but don't say it's better than everywhere else when 1) you haven't been anywhere else and 2) it's not true.

In Holland you can sit in a bar smoking weed while thinking about what hooker you want to have sex with.. you simply don't get any more free than that.

stOx, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  7. proteindude

proteindude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So you have more rights in the countries mentioned above than you do in the USA? Well how do you explain your views on freedom? Is it drugs and prostitution that make one free?

How about the right to bear arms? I mean making sure if you're not at home your wife and kids can be protected if some nut case breaks in? How about the right to self defense? Do the countries you mentioned above afford you the right to self defence? Or is it only police that is allowed to carry arms in the countries you mentioned?

Last I heard, the place where ONLY police is allowed to carry weapons is called a police state :confused:

proteindude, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  8. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Every country in europe allows citizens to own firearms. Finland has the third highest gun ownership on the planet.

of course.

So is that what you are most proud of? Your right to kill someone?
    I expected nothing less. :rolleyes:

stOx, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  9. proteindude

proteindude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So by your own admission, Finland has LESS gun ownership than US? And who is the country with more freedom again?

Next you'll tell me that even in Australia, a country you mentioned above along with others you can also carry guns?

Now pay attention st0x: I said the right to self defence. Do you know what self defence means? Or there is no understanding in your head but just an automated response of twisting and misquoting what someone says (I mean someone who does not agree with your views).

proteindude, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  10. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Gun ownership numbers don't = freedom. they have as much freedom to own a gun as you do, just because less chose to doesn't mean thier freedoms are any less.

I haven't studied self defence laws in other countries, but i know in England you are within your rights to kill someone in self defence.

Now answer my question. is the thing you are most proud of your right to kill someone?

stOx, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  11. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:

We all have our own views of freedom.
    Saying that the place where only police is allowed to carry weapons is considered police state shows how tiny brains you have.
    We all can carry weapons but you cannot buy it in a supermarket like in states. You have to prove you are "clean" enough to own it.

Do you consider freedom going into the woods to get some mushrooms and get shot by some stupid land owner who thinks you are tresspassing and thinks you want to steal something from his land ?

iatbm, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  12. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are some countries that don't really need people carrying weapons around since it is quite peacful and people are not afraid of eachoter.
    Freedom is in the head.

I certainly would not feel free if I had to carry guns to feel free ;) But guess it is different case with you and it is your choice ...

iatbm, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  13. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Stox, and Iatbm, this thread is asking people what they find that is good about America. As someone with one foot in American and one in European culture, I love things about both cultures.

But this isn't a thread on what is shitty in your pea-brains about American culture. Your stammering attempts to derail it are inappropriate. You are free to start another thread on what you hate about America, but not to take this one off topic. Leave.

northpointaiki, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  14. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Who says we hate US ? If we don't think like you do, it does not mean we hate anybody...where do you get the perception anyone hates US. Childish thinking this is. Like when parents are angry on kids and they think parents hate them.

Oh and real freedom spreading huh ? You want to shut us up?

You cannot say you are world champion if you did not win. But it is usual with you americans ;) NBA champion is World champion :rolleyes: You realize how stupid that is ?
    Oh let me add : NBA is also one of great things in US. Well sports overall I think is great ;)

iatbm, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  15. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I know it's difficult to manage, so I'll post the thread topic again:

Stox, as usual, was early on proven wrong in his ridiculous contention, and when that happens he moves to other things, all with the cogency of a stammering child - usually, simply calls the other member a liar and then when the idiocy of that tack is pointed out, he'll scurry away to some other thread to derail; and you have jumped on board. I have asked politely to stay on topic several times, and now I'm not asking politely.

16. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And on-topic means :

It doesn't matter if its true or not as long as we like it ?
    And yes it is difficult to manage lies and american propaganda here on DP if you have brains a little bigger than chicken!

You cannot post things like : something is the best while you have absolutely no idea how it is elsewhere and expect people to just agree with you. But chicken brains cannot handle the truth that people live in freedom elsewhere in the world also, since this brings doubt in their superiority.

Feel free to report to mods that we are offtopic here :D

iatbm, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  17. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I haven't responded to either Stox's latest drivel, or your views, because this wasn't my intention in starting this thread. In truth, I own Stox so regularly it just gets old, and so I haven't bothered. But you are correct, you are of course free to respond to something someone brings up that you find to be untruthful. I was wrong here, and so apologize.

Broadly (very broadly), in the States we value individual liberty and in Europe you value the social good - I think at its extreme, a question of gesellschaft v. gemeinschaft. Here, you can change jobs a million times, move, start a business, with an extremely low level of government interference, in relative terms. But you are also free to go under, and be left behind - it is a land of opportunity, and its mirror, risk. And, truth be told, damn me, if in the States we just don't give a whit about the arts as a national, public good. I find that we are an open, warm, caring and optimistic people, and we have throughout our history opened our arms to others in need. I am deeply proud of our history in this respect.

In Europe, you can't do anything without government involvement - maddeningly so, from my perspective. But you hold your government to account for its worth - Rousseau's Social Contract is indeed seen to be a contract, to this day. You value the arts as much as you value other things, and as an artist, I do appreciate your national arts programs - with Edmund Burke, I see the value in historically grounded, national legacies generally. You value time, and accord the rhythms of life their proper place, in my opinion.

Both worldviews have benefits, and both have their downside.

Now, if you have something positive to say about America, I'm all ears.

18. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I love America :)
    I love american movies. Only french and italian movies can come close but not there!
    I love american will to share information
    I love american computers ( IBM, Apple ) :D
    I love the way of business thinking in US

I love and like many things american, too many to go on ;)

iatbm, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  19. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the contribution. Cheers, Iatbm.

20. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I thought the thread title was being sarcastic...

perhaps you should have titled the thread "americans pat yourselves on the back and everyone else kiss our ass", that was obviously your intention.

stOx, Nov 11, 2007 IP