1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blogs Commenting - Question [ for SEO experts ]

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by andrej, Nov 10, 2007.

Blogs commenting seems to be an easy and even free way how to get some high PR backlinks for your site. I wonder if Google might start penalizing sites having too many links from blogs comments? What do you think?

I also wonder if it is better to enter my site's anchor text as my name when posting a comment? Let's say I have a web hosts review site and am posting a comment on a PR8 blog related to webhosting (of course I will make a good post and not a spammy one). Should I enter my nick name (e.g. andy), or should I enter my anchor text (e.g. web hosting reviews)? Will it help to increase the SERP of my site if I enter the anchor text instead of my nick name?

Anyone has an experience with this? Do you guys use your nick / real names when commenting blogs or do you use anchor texts?

andrej, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  2. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Only G can tell us about this but I highly doubt it. They may reduce the weight on comment links but I dont think they will start penalizing sites.

Yep! Anchor text will help you better than your nick name but some blogs may not approve such comments and if you are looking to make a name then entering the nick is better IMO.

mixke, Nov 10, 2007 IP
    andrej likes this.
  3. Sockmoney

Sockmoney Peon

Best Answers:
    I would think they might start ignoring links if you have too many from one source... but I don't see them penalizing... since it is something out of a webmaster's control...

Sockmoney, Nov 10, 2007 IP
    andrej likes this.
  4. Ricky Deez

Ricky Deez Peon

Best Answers:
    Not quite the way it works these days. MOST blogs implement the NOFOLLOW tag which will not pass any PR to the sites that are linked in the comments.

You can chek to see if they use NOFOLLOWs on other comments links, but it wouldnt hurt to try though.

Ricky Deez, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  5. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You mean too many links from one blog, or from blog comments in general?

Thank you guys for your replies. So I will rather link with my anchor text.

Anyone else is benefiting from from blogs commenting?

andrej, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  6. bomberman

bomberman Peon

Best Answers:
    It's better to use the anchor text. Use your targeted keywords in your anchor text, It will help to increase your SERP.

bomberman, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  7. frederrick

frederrick Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there,

I am no expert in blog or forums but as what I know and noticed:
    • Using a nick name or anchor text in replace of your user name will not give you back links - Just move your mouse over your user name and you will notice that its directed to your profile and not to your site
    • If you want a link, as what is available in digitalpoint, use your signature - use your anchor text and direct it to the web page you want to promote

With regards to Google penalizing links from blog comments, I seriously do not think so. All back links from blog comments will have a certain linking URI like "http://www.forum.xxx/archive/xxx/xxx" - this will pass through SE as natural links and will not be penalized.

Regards

frederrick, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  8. msbaby

msbaby Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm no seo expert, but I do know that I came across a blog recently that stated that they would delete your comment if you put keywords in the name/profile area.

msbaby, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  9. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, some blogs are of this kind. However, there are also many high PR blogs which redirect the link right to your website (when you move your mouse over your user name, you will notice that it's directed to your website).

andrej, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  10. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the blog and the mods there. If its a strict one, you wont be able to get away with Anchor text in Name.

You just need to consider each blog .. some may have no follow in the name link, some in the comments links only, some may have auto approve.

As for linking from comments.... its always wise not to rely on one source of linking. Basically, anything that would seem unnatural linking to you, Google will think likewise.

If I have an interesting article, the chances that 100 people refer to it in Blog comments but nowhere else is gonna look a bit fishy.

xenyo, Nov 13, 2007 IP
    andrej likes this.
  11. rhyswynne

rhyswynne Active Member

Best Answers:
    As a blog owner, you're more likely to get approved on my blog if you:

- Comment under your own name
    - Have a relevant website (my readers are not interested in hair loss stuff)
    - Contribute to discussion

I throw anybody who doesn't meet these three conditions into the Akismet Spam box, and e-mail them saying that, I also then say if they want to get my pagerank, they'd have to pay for it, and post them in the direction of my Advertising Page and Bid Directory.

I appreciate the comments I generally get, but by goodness at times people take the mick...

rhyswynne, Nov 13, 2007 IP
    andrej likes this.
  12. androomidaa

androomidaa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What if you are one of the top commentators of a popular high PR blogs and you get yourself showing on the Top Commentators section? Do you get a back link from it? And if you do, is it a good back link?

androomidaa, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  13. Sejje

Sejje Banned

Best Answers:
    You get a backlink androomidaa but it is not permanent one I believe unless you stay as the top commenter until the update far as I can tell. How much traffic do you guys get from making blog comments?

Sejje, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  14. gyutae

gyutae Peon

Best Answers:
    I can tell you already that Google knows when they are crawling a comments section of a page - with user generated content. The algorithm adapts in this manner to allow for more leniency. The main site shouldn't be penalized for comments posted by other people.

In terms of commenting for SEO value, most blogs now implement the nofollow attribute to outbound links rendering them useless for passing on pagerank or link juice of any kind. You still receive clicks from real people who may be interested in your site, which is what you should be targeting anyway.

Google gives more weight to links from specific types of sites. More trust is placed on links from an editorial site than from an e-commerce site for example.

gyutae, Nov 13, 2007 IP
    andrej likes this.
  15. richkid

richkid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    my thoughts exactly. I don't want to hold a conversation with a keyword. I usually delete comments that have keywords as title.

richkid, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  16. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    google can detect the blog comments easyly . it may consider you as spammer . i suggest you to become careful

trichnosis, Nov 14, 2007 IP
  17. androomidaa

androomidaa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't have any idea on that part. Thanks for letting us know.

androomidaa, Nov 15, 2007 IP
  18. missdanni

missdanni Guest

Best Answers:
    Blog commenting is a great way to increase your SERP. However you have to be sure that your comment is actually contributing to the authors post. If you post something stupid and full of links then no doubt it will be deleted - but if you be polite and add a well thought out comment - Actually read the post - Then there is no reason for them no to allow your comments. Now yes there are many blogs that use nofollow but there are also many blogs that don't - for example I have removed the nofollow off my own blog because I believe that if a reader contributes something useful to my site they should be rewarded with a link back. I also use a spam blocker to weed out naughty spammers. I like the idea and thus far it has increased traffic and user participation for my site.

missdanni, Nov 15, 2007 IP
    andrej likes this.