1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sites where you bid for work

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by WriteResults, Aug 4, 2007.

1. seowritinggroup

seowritinggroup Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the poster above who said that the low-paying buyers are the most demanding. I have tried writing articles for $5 each just to get some volume going, but the people paying $5 per article have wanted everything for practically nothing. Article writing, copyscape checking, business advice, etc. On the other hand, I have another client that I charge $25 per 350-word article and he likes my writing and, if he needs something else, pays me for my time spent on the phone or chatting online with him.

seowritinggroup, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  2. what

what Active Member

Best Answers:
    wow $25 for a 350-word article? your client's generous :)

what, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  3. Digital_Developer

Digital_Developer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I posted on Guru.com and I notice that the Freelancers who really caught my attention were those who ADDRESSED my situation. Really, when you get some generic bids, it makes you wonder whether they even read your job listing.

So an advice.. Do your best to show the employer that you read the listing.

D_D

Digital_Developer, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  4. musebay

musebay Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I partner with local business providers who frequently attend chamber of commerce gatherings in their locality :)

musebay, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  5. EllieGriffin

EllieGriffin Peon

Best Answers:
    I just joined get a freelancer and *hopefully* have a transcription job in the works :) It's a start anyway...not a total waste of time?

Just being hopeful as I paid the $12 to sign up before reading all this, haha.

EllieGriffin, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  6. what

what Active Member

Best Answers:
    good luck, ellie. you gotta work all those bids! :D being a gold member entitles you to more than a hundred

what, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  7. Beakerwriter

Beakerwriter Peon

Best Answers:
    The bidding sites aren't perfect, but they do give you access to a wide variety of projects. I don't bid against anyone in third world countries. I bid my going rate and the client can choose it or not. That's up to them. But, my ratings on RAC and Elance are excellent, and I can bid more than other people and still get the job. I had an RAC client tell me that I was the highest bidder but that he chose me because he liked my samples the best. The good jobs are there, but you may have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find that prince.

Beakerwriter, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  8. EllieGriffin

EllieGriffin Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks What :)

Ughh, I did that transcription job for $20...I figured it would take me 2 hours at the most.

It took me 5 hours to do the transcription and rewrite it in a more easily flowing style. Turns out...they wanted me to format it for their webpage as well (I don't know how to explain it...bolding things here, putting paragraphs there...). I wasn't clear on that when I set out on it.

So here I am, someone with a college degree who got A's on college papers, earning $2 an hour to type something that was 9 pages singe spaced...I'm thinking there's got to be a better way...

The guy I did it for is very nice, that's not the problem. I underbid myself and underestimated the scope of the job.

He asked if I "wanted" to redo the format. I kind of told him "no" as it wasn't clearly specified to do that format. So I hope I still get paid (it's in escrow). I'm really burnt out and have a little baby so I can't afford to work for piddly money like that.

I can't wait until I start my own website offering freelance services which is in the works...this is more motivation to get it done! :mad: :D

EllieGriffin, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  9. rayaan

rayaan Peon

Best Answers:
    This is exactly why bidding sites are a waste of time for serious writers who want to make a decent living. I haven't tried the others, but GAF is a definite no-no. Even if you're just just starting out you'll have better luck finding jobs on other job boards or forums. I notice star performers on GAF (those who have practically hundreds of positive reviews from buyers) bidding for barely more than a penny a word. That's the point I am trying to make. If you have dozens of outstanding reviews from clients and can still barely dream of bidding more than $1.10 per 100 words, you're doing something drastically wrong. I hear bidders on Guru have better luck, but again it's the paid membership holders who stand to make any money serious there.

rayaan, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  10. aspire

aspire Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Haven't used all of them but the pricing war is pretty hot over such places. At many instances the quality takes a beating.

aspire, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  11. EllieGriffin

EllieGriffin Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm over it! I was going to use it to develop my portfolio and move on to creating my own freelancing site. There's got to be a better way :) Once I've been a member here for long enough I'll take advantage of the job boards.

I've made back my membership fee, so I think I'll stop there and call it a day.
    Thanks for everyone's "eye opening" help ;)

EllieGriffin, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  12. Traci

Traci Peon

Best Answers:
    I've heard of writers making good money on places like elance and rac, but how much work did they have to do to come out ahead? I starte with both of those sites because I didn't know where else to get clients. I was having to do a lot of work just to get my fees back. And of course, the low-ball clients always wanted the work to be "well written" but didnt want to pay for it. I've had much more luck going to the source and offering my services or answering ads for writers needed through actual job listings.

Traci, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  13. AvarianParakeet

AvarianParakeet Peon

Best Answers:
    What about odesk? I've signed up with them but never actually tried to get a job through them. If you really want rates that make you cry, look at Amazon's mturk program. 500 word article $1.50. A review on YOUR blog $.30. If I was an outsourcer working for $3 an hour, I would be offended. The only good thing is that they have a few ridiculously mindless jobs that earn amazon money.

AvarianParakeet, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  14. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    "If I was an outsourcer working for $3 an hour, I would be offended." That's why they don't work for even $3 per hour, cause they cand find such jobs easily on local market, so there is no point to freelance for such low

SEOLinker, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  15. amf-flt

amf-flt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Again: the bidding sites are perfect if you live in a 3rd world country, because it gives you an opportunity to raise your standard of living. For those of us living in mature economies, focus your attention on your LOCAL markets to get the best price for your services and to develop stronger relationships with your customers. If you haven't focused your marketing on your local area, START NOW.

amf-flt, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  16. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    amf-flt, yes 100% correct about mature economies, probably people just for fun or to win 1 of 1000 client on that sites, cause I have seen decent number of western people there. That's surprising for me.

As for 3rd world it really depends, local salaries grows 3 times probably during last 3 years. So if you start 3+ years ago on that sites then you are OK or even more then that. If you are fresh with 0 ratings, it's better to concentrate on your full-time job cause it pays almost the same 90% of times. And it far more easy to get it then to win some project on that sites.

SEOLinker, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  17. billion

billion G.E.M.

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure when you tried GAF but there have been some changes lately that makes it easier for new members. For example, only new members are allowed to bid on Trial projects. That's one way to get a foot inside. Another way is to get a Gold membership with more bids. When you start you might want to try and bid low until you built a reputation on the site. Once that is done projects will come your way all the time and at much better prices.

billion, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  18. rayaan

rayaan Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's a waste of time to undercut other writers for projects, just to "get a foot inside." There's a lot of work available for writers out there. In fact I think demand far exceeds supply, and new writers would be better off looking at other job boards or forums than bidding ridiculous prices just to build up " a reputation."

What good is a "reputation" if it doesn't even help you increase your rates from a penny a word? A reputation is what comes from producing top quality work and having a professional work ethic. I just don't think sites like GAF help you achieve that in the long term.

rayaan, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  19. billion

billion G.E.M.

Best Answers:
    If you have your hands full, happy with your clients and don't need more work there is obviously no need for you to spend time on GAF. :)

billion, Nov 10, 2007 IP
  20. rayaan

rayaan Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly! :) Which is why I took my name off their email alerts! :D

rayaan, Nov 10, 2007 IP