1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Girl Dead Responding to Craigslist Ad

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cosmocentral, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Police in Minnesota say an online ad may have cost a young woman her life.

They say Katherine Olson was last seen by friends when she went to meet someone about a nanny job posted on Craigslist.org, the Internet bulletin board.

A day later, her body was found in her car at a Minnesota nature preserve. Police declined to say how the 24-year-old was killed.

Authorities say a 19-year-old man who they believe placed the ad is being held pending charges. Authorities did not release his name but said charges could be filed as soon as today.

Olson graduated from St. Olaf College last year. Her family said she had taken nanny jobs at least twice before after answering online ads

cosmocentral, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  2. Pinup Girl

Pinup Girl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thats scary! too sad..
    never believe in Craigslist Ads! hehe

Pinup Girl, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  3. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is why I never trust or use Craigs List.

astup1didiot, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  4. Waffleguy

Waffleguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Always meet in a public place.

Waffleguy, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  5. gringo

gringo Peon

Best Answers:
    a complete tragedy ........ my condolences to the family

gringo, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  6. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is very bad news and so sad. What a waste! If the guy is guilty he should be killed. If that were my daughter I would kill him myself!

kentuckyslone, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  7. samantha pia

samantha pia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    myspace has had over 30 members killed from meeting other members, here is just 2 of them.

Judy Cajuste: (R.I.P) 14 Year Old NJ Girl Found Dead

[​IMG]

Judy Cajuste was killed by a person she met on myspace.com. At age 14 i cannot begin to understand why someone would kill a child. Again I find her profile very emotional reading, she is also very sadly missed. (R.I.P Judy)

Police have found and identitified the body of a New Jersey girl as 14 year old Judy Cajuste. Killed on the date of her last login on myspace.com 10/jan/2006 left naked, strangled and placed in a dumpster, police are looking at her PC records, as they believe she may have met foul play as the result of meeting an individual through her MySpace.com account. Judy's myspace.com profile

Taylor Behl (R.I.P) 17 years of age from Virginia was found dead, after being strangled and raped then left in shallow grave.

[​IMG]

Taylor Behl was killed by a person she met on myspace.com. I find her profile very emotional reading, she is sadly missed. (R.I.P Taylor)

killed 09/04/2005 (date she last logged in on her myspace.com account), by a friend she met on myspace.com. A 38 year old guy has been charged. What is so sad here, is that on her profile she puts "Who I'd like to meet:"Someone who is kind." Taylor's myspace.com profile

Seven teenage Connecticut girls have been sexually assaulted by men they met through MySpace.com. Many more won’t come forward out of embarrassment or fear. Myspace.com is a huge site with over 50,000,000 members, but people pray on any web site that they can find a target, so most web sites where teenagers and young adults gather, could be a prime target.

if you wish to read the full article i wrote about internet safety you ca do so here http://www.asksam2.com/index.php?page=99

samantha pia, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  8. Nora

Nora Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's the reason why I never take the internet seriously. I feel sorry for those that passed away believing that all people have good intentions. I hope the person responsible gets the punishment they deserve.

Nora, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  9. samantha pia

Best Answers:
    i beg to differ, i think you have to take it very seriously if you are going to meet someone, or your death

10. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    That's why parents need to become more aware of what the hell their children are doing on the internet. It's a terrible tragedy when young girl's lives are cut short because they are ignorant about the dangers of meeting someone from Myspace - or anyone from the internet for that matter.

DeniseJ, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  11. samantha pia

Best Answers:
    well with 50 million members plus, myspace is the size of a nation, not a small community, it has no police force, it has no laws, all it has is children that are mixing with adults and falling pray to a few killers that have used the site as a means to a safer way to get a victim. but still much less than a national crime rate, if you can trust myspace to report all crime, and it's victims to leave a trail back to myspace.

the net is unsafe, and i have even fallen victim to online pervs, it is scary and in my 1st year i learnt my lessons.

12. Nora

Nora Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I meant seriously as in dealing with real people :) to me every person using the internet could be a murderer. I never get close to people over the internet, it would never even cross my mind to meet someone I bumped into on the internet, no matter how real it may seem.. its just sad to see that other people take these risks and end up dying because of it.. its a very dangerous place, I had a guy stalk me a few years ago, one day he came online and asked me if I knew the exact street I was living in, been a bit paranoid ever since..

Nora, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  13. samantha pia

Best Answers:
    my 1st stalker was really scary, but no-one would take notice, not even my bro, who is a cop. then one weekend i left home to visit him and he drove me back home and when we walked in my house, i said to him, that something is different, someone has been here, and he told me i'm cracking up. but then he walked into my dining room and dinner was set for 2 and a candle was still burning.

then he got freaked out. and and the local cops came and someone had broken into my house and slept in my bed, and done things in my bed and with my clothes, and then cooked dinner and left.

i never returned to that house again. the courts let him go with a warning, and he tracked me down yet again, and this time, my bro and other cops, dealt with him without the courts.

but he was only the 1st of 5

14. kentuckyslone

Best Answers:
    I just posted an article about this on my blog. The site averages around 1800 uniques per day. Most of my readers are teenagers and I truly hope that the article will encourage them to be more careful and NOT to even try to meet up with people they talk to on social net.

I would appreciate it if anyone could post a comment to the article,

http://www.trueghosttales.com/paranormal/young-girl-murdered-by-man-she-met-online/

15. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Shazz, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  16. fundu

fundu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, thats really scary. I hope people should accompany somone before meeting strangers.

fundu, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  17. Nora

Nora Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh god.. sorry to hear that. It never was that extreme with the people that stalked me.
    How come they just let him go with a warning? He broke into your house.. was a real threat.. I hate how systems work, they want someone to be dead or seriously injured before they take action. What he did wasn't just innocent curiosity, he crossed a line by going to your house and trying to find you. People like that should be put behind bars because they obviously have no self control and there's no telling what they'll do next or what they have already done to somebody else. Countries should really team up together and make the net a safer place. I can't even count the number of times people have threatened me but where can you turn to if nobody wants to get involved? I hope other people learn from these experiences and don't get too close to people they met on the net.

Nora, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  18. samantha pia

Best Answers:
    thanx for copying my article from over a year ago and not giving me or my site any credit. you're a true webmaster i see.

enough said on that. :rolleyes:

i have been giving safety advice to 800,000 students in the USA for the last 4-5 years, not all sinks in, but i hope some does.
    anyone can be a victim, even boys, but sadly, it's mostly girls.

19. kentuckyslone

Best Answers:
    I did not copy your article. I didnt even read your article. In fact I ran copyscape on this article and did not find any duplication.

I wrote that in order to try to warn people about the dangers of meeting in person with people they talk to on the net. Judging by the contacts I receive on the site my biggest proportion of visitors seem to be teenage girls

What is the url of the article you say I copied? I would like to take a look at it

EDIT --> Oh I notice that you have the url in your post so I went to check it out. I dont see how you can accuse me of copying it since it is quite different from what I have written, but I added a link to your article in my post as your article does have a lot more detailed info and the purpose of my post is only to try to help others

20. GreenGambler

GreenGambler Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm so sad that such a wonderful person lost her life. You could tell that Katherin was a loving, kind person, just by the look of her photos. It sucks that crap like this happens.. I will admit, when I lived in Boston, I used to meet people from Craiglist for various reasons. (I don't do it now) but I used to smoke alot of pot and found 3 seperate dealers on CL, I also found my last roommate on CL and some good friends that I still talk to this day. I found furniture, antiques and have sold some things.
    I moved to Boston, alone, from a small town and CL really did help me to make great freinds and connections. Also when I was 17 I did meet guys online for weekend parties (if yo know what I mean).. Hey I was a small town gay guy with no one to talk to about it, the internet was my only resouce.. Now that I look back I realize that I was pretty lucky given that I never told anyone what I was doing or where I was going.

My heart goes out to all the families of vitims of internet crimes.

GreenGambler, Nov 8, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.