1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's wrong with my site? - Good enough for the BBC, but not for Dmoz.org

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Notting, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have a site:

http://www.theafricangreyparrot.com/

It used to be listed in DMOZ.ORG

Then I added more quality content

Then it got taken out of DMOZ.ORG

WHY?!

What is wrong with the site?

Despite a couple of resubmits over the last 18 months it just won't go in.

Very frustrating.

So can a mod at Dmoz.org please let me know why this site is not listed.

IT IS THE AUTHORATIVE SITE FOR GREY PARROTS.

It even as links to it from THE BBC. And yet Dmoz.org do not think it good enough for their directory? WHY?

Please someone explain. Better still can a mod get it into the african grey parrot section.

Thanks
    Notting

P.S. the section has no editor. I have applied (and have good knowledge of the animal and of webdesign), but no, i have been rejected to edit the category.

Notting, Nov 5, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  2. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DMoz is just a joke.

stock_post, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  3. vanquishdesign

vanquishdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is "sewn up".

The moderators of the various categories have hidden agendas.

Despite that being against DMOZ rules.

vanquishdesign, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  4. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is not relevant anymore, plus the link is not all that valuable IMO.

simey, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  5. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    crowbar, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's one of those Illegal Sites isn't it?

Or do you mean it's an affiliate/franchise because it shares the same address as cockatoohome.com and theconureparrot.com?

Maybe the over promotion of VIParrot.com?

What about: In general we do not list affiliate sites unless the affiliate has strong, high quality content of its own that end-users will find really useful.

Qryztufre, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  7. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Question now is who copied who for one sentence in bio from the website Google probable MFA website is at first place? Wikipedia in second place but has link to the website under external (that is why I don't want my content on wikipedia even if they offer lousy link). Rest of the website seems original and forum is pretty busy so it does seem worthy of listing, even though webmaster may have overdid it a little with SEO optimization and links to his company - in case you haven't figured it out yet ads are NOT affiliate links but direct links! :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  8. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I know the answers to the OPs questions, but, I'm not at liberty to answer. We don't do site status reports, and we don't do reviews on demand.

crowbar, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    But pointing to why sites in general are not listed is OK, as if there was a valid reason that only DMOZ can see?

IMHO, there needs to be better PR in DMOZ, and I'm not talking Page Rank. Your first post, followed by your second is certainly not helping matters.

The way I see it, that is not helping the end user. If you wanted to help the average surfer by having the best quality directory, you would and should work with the middle man to make sure that their sites are in fact listable.

Though, oddly enough, when my site was removed for that short time, there was no problem in telling me why. Kind of odd ain't it?

Qryztufre, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  10. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Notting, Nov 6, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  11. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I am talking in general terms, Q, and the link I supplied does give valid reasons from the ODPs point of view, which is the only view that matters.

The link I gave you, Notting, is very self explanatory. Those are the type of sites that we generally don't list, so, if your site is one of those, it won't be listed. You would have to look your site over with that information in mind, and see if perhaps the new content on your site made you unlistable.

Also, there are times when new content would broaden the scope of a site and it would need to be moved to a higher category, or there might be a url problem that would unlist it temporarily until an editor could investigate.

The Directory is also live and constantly growing and changing, so, what might have been listable at one time in the past, might not be listable now, especially if there are additional changes to the content.

I can't be more specific than that without breaking the confidentiality clause that I agreed to when I became an editor.

Editors have to be especially careful in this particular forum because of all the false accusations of corruption and favoritism, so I have to go out of my way to not even give the slightest appearance of favoritism, instead of being more helpful.

The past and present attitudes of forum members here limits the help I can give.

crowbar, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    The only view that matters is the end user, and till DMOZ as a whole can figure that out, there will be unhappy campers on all sides.

There was not a problem in telling me why my site got removed, and the reason mine got removed is not in the list. If you look over the site that the OP gave, you should see that it does not fall under the reasons in your link, so the reason for it's removal must be somewhere else.

False accusations of corruption and favoritism? What about misleading webmasters into thinking they were removed for inaccurate reasons?

The only favoritism one should show is to the end user, and one of the ways that can be done is to assist the webmaster in making sure their sites are compliant.

It's the mystery that causes much of the "false" statements about DMOZ, then again, many of the statements which editors call false is clearly defined within the rules. When the editors say such a thing is false, then the statements are backed up via the ODP itself, it only makes the ODP look worse. *shrug*

Qryztufre, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  13. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree.

Q, try to remember that not all of the false accusations of corruption and favoritism come from outside of the ODP. I think crowbar is wise for being overly cautious. It's an unfortunate reality.

Crowbar does a lot of good work in Regional categories and he's valuable working inside. It would be a shame if he lost his login for appearing friendly here.

compostannie, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It is sad that Editors must be the way they are on the outside for fear of getting fired for favoritism or something. DMOZ is one of the only places I know where friendliness is taboo ...

Qryztufre, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  15. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I still have no idea why this site is not listed in DMOZ.ORG...

Notting

Notting, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  16. arunsiam

arunsiam Peon

Best Answers:
    75,151 editors have 75,151 ideas of if your site should be listed in DMOZ. The editor of your site might believe that it should be move to another category.

arunsiam, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  17. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, there isn't an editor alive (or ex-editor) who doesn't want to be helpful, but with 40,000 - 50,000+ submitted site suggestions awaiting review, it wouldn't be fair to all of the others to answer a specific inquiry on an outside forum about a specific site, if such a service isn't available to all.

And, it would be immoral to help any type of site that the Directory has a policy against listing, somehow get around those rules and become listable. When you join the Directory as an editor, you agree to follow those rules, anything less is breaking a trust. It isn't fear, it's honoring a commitment.

Good intentions don't count, only your actual actions count, and that's the only thing that can be considered, because it's the only thing that is visual.

I have access to tens of thousands of site suggestions. Were I to give advice to a specific website owner or several, and just happened to list them while normally working among those tens of thousands, it could be misconstrued by both the meta community and outside webmasters as being corrupt or at the very least, showing favoritism. My intentions won't matter, only my actions will, innocent/happenstance or not, so, it's best not to put myself in that type of position to begin with.

Editors who post in any outside forums have to be exceptionally careful to remain unbiased in their editing tasks, and it's an easy line to step over, and no one should ever ask us to. (if you're truely concerned about editor abuse and favoritism as many here claim) ;)

crowbar, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  18. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    In a way, that's true, because unique content for one category might not be unique content in another category.

Where certain sites get listed in the Directory is pretty clear cut, but, if there's ever a question, we consult with other editors in our internal forums for advice. If you, yourselves, click on "Description" on a page, it will usually tell you what type of sites are accepted or not accepted there.

crowbar, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  19. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Fair comment.

I just want to know which policy my site infringes.

It's simply about being transparent.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my posts.
    Notting

Notting, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  20. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    You're welcome, and I'm sorry I can't be more specific, other than giving you a link to our Guidelines.

Another editor might feel they could comment further, but, I don't feel comfortable doing so.

crowbar, Nov 6, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.