1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you run your Free Directory??

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Fastian, Nov 5, 2007.

Hi guys

Well, I am considering to start a free directory (general) and looking for feedback from the community. Few things I want to know:

1) How do you promote it? (Keeping your expenses low)
    2) Do you edit description of submitted links to make them unique or to correct the mistakes?? (or you just delete them)
    3) Do you correct titles, move it to appropriate category or just delete and let them submit correctly??

Well, I am actually looking for answers to question 2nd & 3rd. But if I can get some tips on 1st one, that would be even better. :)

I actually want to make it "self sustainable" after initial expenses. Whatever I get from it will be spend on it.

Any tips, comments, suggestions or even warnings: :)

Fastian, Nov 5, 2007 IP
    uttoransen and balkanboy like this.
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sending traffic to a free directory is quite simple. There are so many directory lists out there like DC/IV/DR that can send nice traffic.

You get so many submissions that 2 & 3 would take hours. I just delete the spam when i get chance, then consider the rest:)

mikey1090, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  3. floppydrivez

floppydrivez Peon

Best Answers:
    I just can't imagine owning a free directory. I mean, the traffic seems so great, but then again I hate spam. In the end, it would put me in the crazy home.

My advice is to check out some quality free directories and maybe get in contact with the owners for advice. More than anything, experience is going to teach you everything you need to know.

floppydrivez, Nov 5, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  4. GreenStalkDirectory

GreenStalkDirectory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you put image verification on the directory it shouldn't get that much spam.

GreenStalkDirectory, Nov 5, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  5. idragon

idragon Peon

Best Answers:
    well it not that fun i tell you, after 1400 links that i manually accepted, i really need to do some rechecks:))

idragon, Nov 5, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  6. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems like we think alike ;)
    Also, since I have my friend to back e up, so I guess it will be easy to manage it.
    Yup. A basic level of image verification would be there to counter spam.
    Hehehe. I know its not fun. esp. when you announce that directory to DP and start getting 300+ links a day.

I will be doing some "strict" measures to avoid spam and to "force" people to read guidelines. (I know they don't read it usually)

Fastian, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  7. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    here are a few things that you can do:

1) Make a guideline!
    2) delete the spam, go though the listings, and clear the spam first!
    3) quickly review the featured listings, that should always be the priority!
    4) if you allow the reciprocal link, give it a proper review!
    5) give 1-2 hours a day to your free directory, that will keep your backlog under control.
    6) add good links yourself, like nasa, adobe etc. sites that are good!
    7) try to get in the big lists, DC is absolutely recomended, also in the submission approval template, put the DC's rating link, so that your free directory can get a few ratings!
    8) get a nice template, sell sponsored links!;)

uttoransen, Nov 6, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  8. balkanboy

balkanboy Banned

Best Answers:
    Golden advices :)

I would suggest to request official site name to be anchor text of listings in your guidelines. Than when title and url do not match, instantly delete listings. This will help you make directory more quality for users and save you some time too.

balkanboy, Nov 6, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  9. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Very cool avatar there balkanboy from a very super cool dude :)

britishguy, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  10. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:

My experience owning a free directory was a frustrating one, if someone could think of a way to earn some money from a free directory then it might be worthwhile but as things stand now you will get very few featured listings, almost zero adsense clicks and maybe a few site-wide link sales. And the time investment is huge, especially if you go the extra 100 miles and do number 2 and 3.

jg123, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  11. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well said...I receive on average about 300 daily submissions on Yhay Directory. Pretty hard to review all of them...a few months back I have added this thing in my guidelines. Now from 300 submissions, around 80 -100 are spam so they get deleted straight away...from the rest of 200 about 150 don't respect this point of the guidelines (anchor text just for featured listings) and I delete them easy...basically I have to deal with 50 -60 proper reviews on daily basis.

The sad part of the story is when you receive 50 - 80 daily emails asking why their listings were deleted :eek:

loredan, Nov 6, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  12. daones

daones Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I delete maybe 20% of my submissions due to people not following guidelines, most submitting to top categories, in-proper capitalization, repeated keywords in description or title and deep links. Really i think it is hard to get money that is worth the time with free directories, i usually just review on free time. I think it may take a year or so before you can see a steady sell from links or sitewide links. Im aiming to make about $50 a month from my directory just to take care of my internet bill.

daones, Nov 6, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  13. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot. That will really help :)
    That would be perfect. A quick check to see who have read the guidelines.
    I have noted it down. :)

Personally, I wouldn't mind to do step 2 & 3 for sites that really deserve it. (Good in content)

Also, as you mostly know that people submitting sites do not read guidelines at all (esp. the one doing directory submission service) So, I will have to implement something to either stop them submitting or make them read the guidelines.

I have seen "dir submission guys" submitting well established business sites to my "blog directory"... I mean, com'on guys ... You have two eyes. Don't you? :(

Fastian, Nov 7, 2007 IP
  14. dugu

dugu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Running a free directory is very hard and time consuming. Good luck with your experience.

dugu, Nov 8, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  15. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's some free promotion right here if u have atleast a free option.

You'll get 4 - 6 visitors or (leads) a day, pretty much guaranteed. How u change them to your benefit is your business.

Just list it here

http://www.directoryjunction.com/free-directories/

Thought I would start making some people happy in this thread.

:)

adnan, Nov 8, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  16. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    [FONT=&quot]I only have the free submissions open weekends at WoW Directory but we only do minor edits of titles and descriptions. If the submitter can’t be bothered to read the simple submission guidelines then the editors can’t be bothered to review the submission. We do however move submissions to the correct topic.[/FONT]

stoner3221, Nov 8, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.