1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DP Writing absolute crap?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Taler, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    I think you will enjoy the forum Vabeaty. For beginning writers it's a great place to start researching information about the craft! :) Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have them.

DeniseJ, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  2. vabeaty

vabeaty Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Thanks. I've been on there for less than an hour and have already overloaded my brain with information:D I wish I had found it sooner (or something that doesn't sound completely testimonial like)

vabeaty, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  3. zingo

zingo Peon

Best Answers:
    There are some very educated writers in India that do not put out crap. Your going to pay a bit more, but not over 3 cents per word. You have to weed them out though. I have an attorney with his PHD that writes 350-500 words for 5 bux, this is bulk of course.

zingo, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  4. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And I know truly high quality writers in India who can write with perfect conversational English. They don't write for the kind of rates you see here advertised though (a few dollars per articles)... they charge on par with their US/UK/etc counterparts. Why? Because they can... and if you're not earning as much as you can (no matter your cost of living), you're not making the best business decisions.

I'm glad you found someone who writes for you at a rate you're happy with though. If you're willing to share a link to one of their articles, I'd love to take a look at it. :)

I'm glad you're enjoying the forum. :) Don't be afraid of rejection though. I did a blog post on that topic not long ago at AllFreelanceWriting.com, and basically it comes down to the old saying "dress for the job you want; not the job you have."

What that means is that if you want to be a writer earning $.10 / word, then act like one. If you want to be a writer earning $.50 / word, then act like one. Make sure your business practices, marketing tactics, portfolio, etc. all work together on par with writers at the level you're trying to reach. It's not going to be easy in the beginning, and I don't think anyone who's been there would tell you otherwise. The struggling in the beginning can definitely be worth it though, so stick to it, and always keep your eyes on your long-term goals. If you forget about the long-term, you'll never get there. :)

And remember something else... you don't have to worry about getting fewer clients. If you're charging twice as much, your goal would be half as many clients to be on an even playing field with your past earnings. That's all you need to do in the beginning. Then, start spending that extra time on marketing and growing your client base.

jhmattern, Oct 29, 2007 IP
  5. ashvaj

ashvaj Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you Jenn for your respectful views about Indian writers.I find us at par with other quality writers.The difference between currencies is not directly proportional to the quality content.Jenn rightly says that not earning up to your maximum potential will never help your business grow.
    I wish you good luck Zingo !

ashvaj, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  6. Foggy

Foggy Link and Site Buyer

Best Answers:
    Ouch! ....

Foggy, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  7. Digital_Developer

Digital_Developer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what happened?

Digital_Developer, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  8. Marck

Marck Peon

Best Answers:
    The reason people don't pay for quality is a case of information asymmetry in the market. In short, it's too hard to tell what quality you're getting, and so the prices bottom out. It happens a lot in internet business.

Marck, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  9. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's not happing "in Internet business." It's only happening in one small select market of Internet business... the reason people look at it as such a huge issue is that the "want something for nothing crowd" is simply the more publicly vocal group demanding high quality (when they don't usually know what that is) for cheap rates, while those that do understand and value quality aren't usually the ones advertising publicly. Believe me... a LOT of clients are perfectly capable of telling what kind of quality they're getting. If they want to survive in the long-term in a content-oriented business, they have to.

jhmattern, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  10. Foggy

Best Answers:
    Ouch! was my way of saying the irony, the irony!

Foggy, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  11. Beakerwriter

Beakerwriter Peon

Best Answers:
    That makes sense, that some of the non-native speakers aren't able to recognize quality and aren't aware when they are sold crap. But then, you have to ask yourself, why are they doing it? Why try to run a site in a language you don't speak with content that you don't know is accurate or good? The people that get to me are the second type- just pass Copyscape and have the keywords for as cheap as possible. Those people don't make a dime and they are usually playing businessperson with no idea about what they should actually be buying. And it doesn't help that they are usually rude, lol. Isn't it strange how the lowest paying customers are always the most rude?

Beakerwriter, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  12. moneydreamer

moneydreamer Peon

Best Answers:
    waht else did u except?everyones up for doin anythin for money...

moneydreamer, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  13. Foggy

Best Answers:
    Because there's no law against trying to make an honest buck. I'm originally from India - though I live in the UK now - and I like to think the standard of my written English is a notch above that of the average British graduate. Rather than berating Indians for not mastering English I'd be interested in finding out why my UK English graduate employees can't differentiate between your and you're; I have long since given up getting them to put a complete paragraph down without mistakes. I cringe when I see some of the written communication they send my customers. Why should these people be allowed to speak/write in a language that they are unable to get halfway competent in? Gag the lot of 'em, I say! Bl**dy English-as-a-first-language speakers!

Foggy, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  14. Oosha

Oosha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not all native speakers have phenomenal knowledge of their language. It's the same with any language, not only English. Many native English speakers look for articles that 'just pass copyscape'. We cannot generalize and say that only non-native speakers cannot recognize quality.

Oosha, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  15. rayaan

rayaan Peon

Best Answers:
    This is threatening to turn into a fistfight between the native and non native English speakers! :D

Seriously though, when you're paying crappy rates for an article, it really doesn't matter whether you speak English or Swahili. Your writer thinks you're crappy (no matter how much he or she is kowtowing to you), thinks your site is crappy and happily obliges by producing crappy work for you. :)

I hope I got the "your" and "you're" right Foggy! And I am not even a native English speaker!:)

rayaan, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  16. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:

They didn't say all non-native English speakers cannot recognize quality - they said some. It's true.

For that matter, a lot of native English speakers can't recognize quality writing when they see it either - or don't care that they are stocking their sites with garbage.

DeniseJ, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  17. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One dollar per 100 words is good enough. It is just that, sometimes it is not your day. It happens. Keep trying, you will find a good copywriter eventually.

gauharjk, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  18. J8Diamonds

J8Diamonds Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you even read this thread?

J8Diamonds, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  19. ashvaj

ashvaj Active Member

Best Answers:
    Debate on the "Native" and Non-Native" issue has many aspects involved.Language is like a river. It flows and takes everything along its course.Big barricades in the form of boulders and rock-pieces roll-in the flow and get rounded during the course and even powdered as just sand particles.If the language is flowing like a river, it makes no difference whether the sand particle was a granite or a limestone when it was a rock. So if the writing is good and producive with quality then it should be immaterial if it is a Native writing or a non-native writing.

ashvaj, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  20. J8Diamonds

J8Diamonds Active Member

Best Answers:
    *edited before even posted*

deleted

*edited after posting*

I don't like being mean, even if's it slight and justified.

J8Diamonds, Nov 2, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.